Question about sump return pump plumbing - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-10-2020, 07:42 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Question about sump return pump plumbing

Has anyone ever used pvc to hard plumb the return pumps on a sump ? I can figure it out , I just wondered if there are any pitfalls to doing it . Thanks .

My wife says if I get one more aquarium she is going to leave me . I sure am going to miss her fried chicken .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-10-2020, 08:09 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
I personally have not, but have seen many builds that do.

As long as the proper care and installation is performed, there should be no issue.

However, vibrations from the pump may be amplified through hard PVC plumbing, and you lose the ability to simply move things or splice in various equipment.

"No Ice? Just Freeze Some Water"
My Dirted 10 Gallon High Tech:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Quagulator; 02-10-2020 at 08:25 PM. Reason: edit
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-10-2020, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Thanks Quagulator ,
I had thought about the vibration , so I was thinking of putting a piece of tubing between the pump and the pvc to see if that will dampen it some . These pumps I have do vibrate and I sit them on foam rubber to help . I have the braided tubing from Home Depot , but I am afraid of a burst hose . I worry too much when it comes to 75 gals of water .

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-10-2020, 09:15 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeatl View Post
but I am afraid of a burst hose .
Why are you afraid of that? It shouldn't be under very much pressure unless you completely blocked up the output. Even then I'd expect the pump to burn out before a hose might burst. The biggest concern I can see with hard plumbed PVC as the return is the possibility of the pump's vibration cracking the tank glass.

Rich's Fishes
Curator of an ever growing fishroom that currently houses 30 different tanks. Most full of at least water....some even have fish!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-10-2020, 09:35 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Burst was the wrong word....leaking may be better , or getting a hole.....lol Vibration seems to be the only concern , and the tank is acrylic .

My wife says if I get one more aquarium she is going to leave me . I sure am going to miss her fried chicken .
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-11-2020, 12:20 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

You want to use unions on the piping so that you can take it apart at any time especially on your return pump. So that it is easy to remove.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-11-2020, 03:03 AM
Planted Member

I think flexible hose is less likely to spring a leak than rigid PVC, if that's all you're worried about. Rigid PVC can crack if hit or leaned on for example. Maybe the braided hose you have is thin walled? The vinyl hose I use has a wall of about 1/8".
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-11-2020, 10:42 AM
Wannabe Guru

If you go rigid then I second edwiser on the importance of unions. You don't want to take a saw to your plumbing if you need to do something like, swap out your sump, replace the pump, or even just integrate a inline fixture. Personally I will be plumbing both rigid and flexible hoses into my sump when I finally make my 120 gallon tank build. I want to be able to split my return to go to different locations but I also want the ability to remove my pump easily if needed.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-11-2020, 02:41 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Biggest thing with ridged PVC is have a piece of tubing in the return line to the tank. This will keep vibration down from the pump. I had a tank one time with ridge PVC and the pump return to vibrate the glass and cause a crack in the tank in the middle of the night. Not fun if you use clean tubing you need to change it out every so often as it tends to get hard over the coarse of time.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode