Dual Stage CO2 Regulator for 20g long - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-10-2020, 03:52 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Hi all,

Its been a minute. A bit ago I broke down my planted tank and focused on my other tanks but I am going to get things going again.

This time however I want to start right and go with CO2. I am not much of a diyer so I am in the market for a dual stage CO2 regulator (ideally a package system). I will most likely be using 20oz or 24oz paintball tanks and I would probably go in line to my canister filter if I can... Need to find something that will use 5/8 id tubing and co2 safe tubing in that size.

Looking for suggestions on brands as I am not too sure what is popular these days.

Thanks!

Any one have a recommendation?

Last edited by Darkblade48; 02-11-2020 at 03:39 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-11-2020, 03:26 AM
Algae Grower

I have a GLA dual stage co2 reg for paintball tanks that I'm using. Honestly this sounds dumb, but it's a pain to go to a decent paintball place to get it filled properly. I wish I just got a normal tank.

Get a good dual stage reg that uses a normal tank that you can get filled at a welder shop or a place that sells gas. Avoid cheap ebay junk or cheap single stage.

From my experience co2 is able to diffuse better in deeper tanks as it has more height to travel and absorb, your dealing with a 20 long, you'll want a darn good diffuser or reactor if you use paintball tanks.

Just remember, co2 tanks are about 850psi depending on the temperature, once they run out of liquid it drops the psi over a week or two, which then screws with the working pressure a bit and your bubble count. Even the expensive regs have this issue, while neglectable it exists. Some cheap regs also have end of tank dumps, but I'm not quite sure I firmly understand that.

What's your budget?
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-11-2020, 03:50 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben3721 View Post
I have a GLA dual stage co2 reg for paintball tanks that I'm using. Honestly this sounds dumb, but it's a pain to go to a decent paintball place to get it filled properly. I wish I just got a normal tank.

Get a good dual stage reg that uses a normal tank that you can get filled at a welder shop or a place that sells gas. Avoid cheap ebay junk or cheap single stage.

From my experience co2 is able to diffuse better in deeper tanks as it has more height to travel and absorb, your dealing with a 20 long, you'll want a darn good diffuser or reactor if you use paintball tanks.

Just remember, co2 tanks are about 850psi depending on the temperature, once they run out of liquid it drops the psi over a week or two, which then screws with the working pressure a bit and your bubble count. Even the expensive regs have this issue, while neglectable it exists. Some cheap regs also have end of tank dumps, but I'm not quite sure I firmly understand that.

What's your budget?
I get it, it's probably easier for me to find a paintball shop around here than a welding supply shop based on the bit of research I did.

In regards to the diffuser that's why I was thinking of going in line on my canister if I can find an option that accepts 5/8 tubing.

I would like to try and keep it under $250 but honestly I spend so much on fish stuff already a little extra isn't going to be a deal breaker.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-11-2020, 04:00 AM
Suspended

If your on a budget, personally I would worry more about quality components then whether it's single or dual stage. The most common reason fish are gassed is from a creeping needle valve not an EOTD. A PH controller would shut down the co2 in that event.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode