2Likes
  • 1 Post By Ben3721
  • 1 Post By psychofisho

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-09-2020, 05:36 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question Which Regulator to buy?

So I did search the forum and all of the thread that came up on the first 5 pages were at least 2+ years old. I'm planning on starting a high tech after years of low and I'm curious what the current best most reliable regulator is? I realize that is a subjective question but I'm willing to read through reviews after I know a few to check out. Any opinions welcomed!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-09-2020, 09:05 PM
Algae Grower

Make your own...they are not too tough to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-09-2020, 09:07 PM
Algae Grower

My friend swears by this one:

https://aquariumplants.com/carbondos...-reactor-5000/

Regulator!!!!! Sorry...Iíve been breathing Pvc fumes all day.

Last edited by Darkblade48; 02-11-2020 at 03:39 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-09-2020, 09:27 PM
Planted Member

I feel like information on industrial equipment like regs should hold up pretty good with time. I scored 2 Concoa 212s on eBay for $20 a year ago and I’ve been really happy with it. Been keeping the second in my back pocket. I’ve read a few others have 212s that work just fine with no issue. It’s not super fancy like the SS ones or brass billet ones but it works.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-10-2020, 04:34 PM
Wannabe Guru

Buy your own dual stage or single stage on e bay and source all the parts yourself. It's the cheapest way to go. If you buy a prefab regulator they're way over priced, and doing your own also gives you the necessary skills to learn how to trouble shoot any issues without help from the regular manufacturer.

Eheim Pimp Club,# 496

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

7g cube, 12g long

Last edited by exv152; 02-10-2020 at 06:46 PM. Reason: .
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-10-2020, 04:54 PM
Algae Grower

Okay let's get this thread back on topic lol.

Regulators. Not reactor's.

Honestly as long as you dont go with something stupid china cheap you'll be okay. I have a GLA dual stage. It's good but some of the parts are proprietary to his regs. The needle valve is crazy sensitive too and its quite irritating when the price tag is so much.

The big thing is to refill your tanks as soon as they drop below 800psi, as the working pressure and volume seems to change slightly as the pressure drops, running them too low will risk end of tank dump with some cheap regs or single stage regs. Some do not have this issue.

Keep in mind a co2 tank is about 850psi (temps vary the psi) when it has any liquid in it at all, once it drops off it means it just has some gas left and needs filled.

This is from my experience, so it may not be accurate to others experiences.

I would recommend listing the ones your interested in here to make sure your not getting ripped off.
Bleerau likes this.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-10-2020, 05:04 PM
Planted Member

Are you building your setup or getting a complete unit?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-11-2020, 03:17 AM
Algae Grower

https://www.co2art.us/

10 yr warranty.

Just try, try to find some negative reviews.

There are some detractors out there that don't like this brand, but as far as I can figure, none of them actually ever owned this brand.
Bleerau likes this.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-12-2020, 01:04 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevewb View Post
Are you building your setup or getting a complete unit?

I was going to purchase a complete unit. I would need a step by step guide as far as building my own. Iím certain I could do that but I was just going the easier route. I use donít want whatís most reliable and easiest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychofisho View Post
https://www.co2art.us/

10 yr warranty.

Just try, try to find some negative reviews.

There are some detractors out there that don't like this brand, but as far as I can figure, none of them actually ever owned this brand.

Those look super nice. I was hoping not to spend more than $100. Is that unreasonable to get a good one? This is my first time going with CO2 and Iím just doing a 20L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fftfk View Post
My friend swears by this one:

https://aquariumplants.com/carbondos...-reactor-5000/

Regulator!!!!! Sorry...Iíve been breathing Pvc fumes all day.

I was so confused at first. But Iíll keep that in mind if I need to build a reactor. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben3721 View Post
Okay let's get this thread back on topic lol.

Regulators. Not reactor's.

Honestly as long as you dont go with something stupid china cheap you'll be okay. I have a GLA dual stage. It's good but some of the parts are proprietary to his regs. The needle valve is crazy sensitive too and its quite irritating when the price tag is so much.

The big thing is to refill your tanks as soon as they drop below 800psi, as the working pressure and volume seems to change slightly as the pressure drops, running them too low will risk end of tank dump with some cheap regs or single stage regs. Some do not have this issue.

Keep in mind a co2 tank is about 850psi (temps vary the psi) when it has any liquid in it at all, once it drops off it means it just has some gas left and needs filled.

This is from my experience, so it may not be accurate to others experiences.

I would recommend listing the ones your interested in here to make sure your not getting ripped off.

I have no idea what Iím interested in. I have kept fish for 22 years, and done low tech planted but Iím totally ignorant with regulators.

I am considering Tropica Aquasoil, I want a carpet, and CO2. Thatís all I know right now. Lol

Last edited by Darkblade48; 02-14-2020 at 04:49 PM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner

Tags
co2, high tech, regulator

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode