Using the canister filter as a co2 reactor - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-10-2020, 01:50 PM
Suspended

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by qoob View Post
I have done searches, the results of what I found are in the previous post. Sure ADA aquariums look great despite injecting with an in-tank diffuser, but you can be sure they have their flow set just right so that it works. Also the lights and ferts are tuned in perfectly for each tank. I've got Amanos life works in my book shelf and over 1985-2009 different tanks have tried quite different maintaining regimes. In my opinion 95% of why their tanks look like that is because of how carefully they are maintained. Then high quality substrate, lights, ferts and CO2 make sure there is growth to maintain. The same applies to contest tanks - you don't get high ranks in IAPLC unless you carefully maintain the scape constantly. And the picture that goes in the competition is often 1 out of multiple hundreds.
What your describing in your post is what any professional or hobbyist would want to do to have a clean tank of healthy growing plants. You obviously know ADA is not just a showroom. They have distributors all over the world selling product to people like you and me. BTW I've used in-tank diffusers on setups up to five feet without issue. For iwagumi, stem-dominated and epiphytes.

With that being said I'm not sure how all those things would produce good co2 levels that plants need in hi-tech. Kinda hard to use those things as smoke and mirrors to achieve that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-10-2020, 05:17 PM
Algae Grower

Thank you & I apologize for jumping in on your conversation. Iím still learning where I should be posting my questions.

Do you think the spray bar slows down the flow? Where do you have it positioned? Back wall or side? What brand?
Thank you again for your help

Whatever method can get you the best flow in all corners of the tank with plants is the best. I have a 3-part spraybar that allows me to direct the flow into 3 different directions. Lily pipes are just beautiful, don't know if they are the most efficient.[/QUOTE]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-11-2020, 03:23 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
What is best will always be open to discussion but how we each react is a personal decision and that decision will often be different for each tank. Some who determine that using the canister as the reactor is good, will do it regardless of what the prevailing experience from others says. Just a different mindset thing as some want to do it different, while others want to use the more reliable methods. No problems as we do each have a right to do our tanks as we choose.
It also helps keep a forum active as those who use mods on basic designs will often be coming back later to complain about how their design gives them trouble! An example of this is the Grigg's reactor, which many make small mods and find they have complaints. Certainly hard to get them to admit that it MIGHT be their mods which are the problem, rather than the Grigg's reactor? Always will be those who want to reinvent the wheel!
I find small cheap powerheads from E-bay to be one way to move CO2 as well as debris around the tank. They are cheap, versatile, and easy to maintain while giving me lots of choice on how and where to locate them to keep the debris moving along to the filter intake and while doing so, it moves the CO2. My large tanks all get several of the $7 ones to keep it moving and shaking the leaves.
kookyxogirl and evil8 like this.

post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-11-2020, 03:48 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by kookyxogirl View Post

Whatever method can get you the best flow in all corners of the tank with plants is the best. I have a 3-part spraybar that allows me to direct the flow into 3 different directions. Lily pipes are just beautiful, don't know if they are the most efficient.
In most normal size tanks 1 to 5 feet, I have never had an issue with simply placing the spraybar on the left or right wall at usually angle going down across the tank. co2 dissolves pretty easily in water. It's to me virtually impossible that any flow is not going to move the co2 around. If the co2 is dissolved the water doesn't just stop.

I find most of these intricate flow patterns to move dissolved nutrients are exaggerated. Lily pipes are another example of one outflow servicing the entire tank effectively. Pictures and videos of actual tanks are the real proof.
kookyxogirl likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-11-2020, 04:45 PM
Algae Grower

Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #21 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-13-2020, 04:19 AM

On any of the Eheim canisters that I have used air would eventually break the siphon and the filter would stop working properly.

Bump: So I was wondering is the CO2 being injected under the filter media or above it. And how are you getting the CO2 tube through the plastic canister housing. I would be curious to see a pic.
post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-14-2020, 11:55 AM
Algae Grower

I've just experienced issues with my canister being used as a reactor. My mind set was the same....why not just let the media in there slow down the c02 and increase absorption.

I was only injecting 1BS. The idea worked well......sort of.

I was injecting a tiny amount, but it got away from me and started gassing my fish.

My filter is a marineland 300 on a sixty gallon tank.

I was injecting day and night, but I thought even levels were a good thing. I figured at 1bs there was no way that it could be the issue with my fish dying. I was looking for answers elsewhere.

Perhaps if I only ran it during the day hours it would have been better, also I've even been thinking about trying a venturi loop pulled staight out of the top of the canister filter to forcibly release the pent up gas so it doesn't amount to overkill. I think the problem I had was actually a lack of ability to control what was going on in there. After unplugging the CO2 it took a full 24 hours for the DC to turn blue again. I think that there was a bunch of CO2 trapped in the filter.

I think with perhaps a few modifications to the equipment and my injection schedule, I could make it work well for me with the current canister. It's a cheap POS, so perhaps there is an opportunity to play with it with little risk.

I am an equipment and tool junkie. I try to keep it simple but.........
post #23 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-15-2020, 12:53 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
if you are correct in your assessment of "too much" co2 with 1bps in a 60 gallon tank, then u might want to look into the impact of surface agitation

https://www.advancedplantedtank.com/gas_exchange.html

even acknowledging that 1bubble can be of varying size, unless its a very huge bubble, it just doesnt translate to gassing levels in a tank that size.
PlantStudent likes this.

post #24 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-15-2020, 01:01 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johntheskier View Post
On any of the Eheim canisters that I have used air would eventually break the siphon and the filter would stop working properly.

Bump: So I was wondering is the CO2 being injected under the filter media or above it. And how are you getting the CO2 tube through the plastic canister housing. I would be curious to see a pic.
i suspect if i had to do it, i would do it like a "dwell time" cerges reactor. that is, pass the intake through a T where the co2 is injected so that when it gets into the filter, its already in the mix.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode