3Likes
  • 1 Post By nbr1rodeoclown
  • 2 Post By minorhero

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-07-2020, 07:15 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Reactor sizes on Lonnnnggg tanks.

I have an 8' and a 7' tank plumbed in series onto the same sump. there is about a 3 foot drop between tanks in a 1.5" pipe. They are both shallow (12") and each has an overflow toothed weir that is ~ 24" long. In total 170 gallons, 25 square feet of agitated surface area. Suffice to say i have a lot of water to react and a lot of surface off-gassing to compensate.

I have an aquamedic 1000 running 400gph with the bleed valve running back into the sump (everyone please stop calling this a venturi... it isn't)

AM1000 doesn't cut it. Only about 0.3 drop in ph, all 3 indicators are blue.

Do you think I can get sufficient dissolution with a couple of griggs reactors? or is there so much off-gassing going on that i'll be chasing the un-reachable?

Yes this is a ridiculous farm setup.
Greggz likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-07-2020, 07:43 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbr1rodeoclown View Post
I have an 8' and a 7' tank plumbed in series onto the same sump. there is about a 3 foot drop between tanks in a 1.5" pipe. They are both shallow (12") and each has an overflow toothed weir that is ~ 24" long. In total 170 gallons, 25 square feet of agitated surface area. Suffice to say i have a lot of water to react and a lot of surface off-gassing to compensate.

I have an aquamedic 1000 running 400gph with the bleed valve running back into the sump (everyone please stop calling this a venturi... it isn't)

AM1000 doesn't cut it. Only about 0.3 drop in ph, all 3 indicators are blue.

Do you think I can get sufficient dissolution with a couple of griggs reactors? or is there so much off-gassing going on that i'll be chasing the un-reachable?

Yes this is a ridiculous farm setup.
You could build your own and size it exactly how you like, here is one that I built:

I made a build thread on it as well HERE.

75 Gallon Planted Fresh Water Tank
Fluval FX6 & 406 Filters / 2 x Fluval Plant 3.0 LED Lights
CO2Art CO2 Regulator w/DIY Grigg Reactor
Seneye+ Tank Monitoring System / Atlas Scientific Hydroponic Monitoring System
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-07-2020, 08:47 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

That's all well and good for a standard 4 or 6 foot tank. but i'm looking for anyone who has used a single reactor for something really large. for instance what are people using on commercial installations like Sumida or Amazon Headquarters where the co2 has to get 10 feet down the tank from a single output.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-08-2020, 01:05 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
That's all well and good for a standard 4 or 6 foot tank. but i'm looking for anyone who has used a single reactor for something really large. for instance what are people using on commercial installations like Sumida or Amazon Headquarters where the co2 has to get 10 feet down the tank from a single output.
What matters is if your reactor can handle the flow of co2 going into it. You can increase the size of the reactor to handle more water and thus dissolve more co2. Or you can increase the number of reactors. This is more expensive since you need more equipment.

Regarding evidence of this. Check out this video from a tour George Farmer did. At around the 17 minute mark he looks at the equipment. This includes a single reactor that while large, is essentially a Rex Griggs style reactor. So it can be done.

Quesenek and nbr1rodeoclown like this.

Last edited by minorhero; 02-08-2020 at 10:22 AM. Reason: Forgot to post the video
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-08-2020, 02:03 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
I would just build two reactors. If it is a growout operation I would seal the top and the sump to contain the CO2 and not waste my gas. You don't need fish in there. Just constantly pump CO2 into a sealed tank and run algaecides to keep it clean.

Fluval Spec V
7x Microsynodontis sp (1)

10g Terrarium
1x Cranwelli Horned Frog
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-08-2020, 04:20 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
Ah got it, it's more about delivery!

75 Gallon Planted Fresh Water Tank
Fluval FX6 & 406 Filters / 2 x Fluval Plant 3.0 LED Lights
CO2Art CO2 Regulator w/DIY Grigg Reactor
Seneye+ Tank Monitoring System / Atlas Scientific Hydroponic Monitoring System
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-08-2020, 06:43 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
I can't offer much help as I'm having my own adventures with reactors but I think it would help to know what the purpose of setting of this tank would be... Aquascape, grow out, etc.

I know I'm certainly interested and would love to see a tank that long

At least I can grow Algae
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-08-2020, 09:46 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Essentially an 8'x2'x1' stem farm, and a 84'x20"x10" crypt farm.

I do have 40 neons in there because neons never get to be center stage.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode