Necessity of Biological filtration media vs just plain water polishing - Page 8 - The Planted Tank Forum
 191Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #106 of 108 (permalink) Old 02-11-2020, 04:43 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben3721 View Post
People have the right to post their opinions even if it's wrong or right. Arguing over it is a waste of time since it's just the internet, it's the OP's job to glance over the posts to decide what they want to take away from it. I hate seeing the ego battles on forums, it's a waste of time. Asking for proof on the internet just makes a mess of a thread. Just let people make their statement, then make your own with your own logic to back it up, and leave it to the OP to decide what to believe, rather than have to read through a derailment. At least that makes sense to me. Something about arguing with strangers seems pointless to me. Just saying.
That is literally what an argument is: two people with differing beliefs or views giving evidence and logical support for them. As for it being pointless on the internet, why would the place of the argument matter? Arguments are about our minds, not our bodies, so why would it be better in person? In fact, I prefer to argue online because I can link to sources, I don't have to deal with people interrupting me, I have time to digest the other person's argument and formulate a good response, I have time to reread what I've written to see if it all makes sense, and I can reread what the other person has written to make sure I understood their point (I still occasionally overlook a word or phrase that completely changes how I interpret their message). Outside of a college class or debate club, I can't think of a better place to have an argument than the internet (assuming there are mods around to keep things from getting too heated).
Discusluv likes this.

Proud member of
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #107 of 108 (permalink) Old 02-13-2020, 03:50 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
No filtration

I have had great success over the years with no filtration. Fish are healthy and plants grow. Most fish that I keep. except African cichlids, thrive in neutral to slightly acid pH and very soft water. I do a 50% water change with RO water each week. Fish love it and breed well, especially discus. However, my discus did best on 50% daily changes. No more expensive filtration systems with this method. I also plant my plants in a rich soil. Madagascar and cryptocoryne plants don't go into recession. Try it!
post #108 of 108 (permalink) Old 02-14-2020, 03:09 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMarquis View Post
I have had great success over the years with no filtration. Fish are healthy and plants grow. Most fish that I keep. except African cichlids, thrive in neutral to slightly acid pH and very soft water. I do a 50% water change with RO water each week. Fish love it and breed well, especially discus. However, my discus did best on 50% daily changes. No more expensive filtration systems with this method. I also plant my plants in a rich soil. Madagascar and cryptocoryne plants don't go into recession. Try it!
In SE Asia discus hatcheries, they keep discus in vaults with no filtration, simply do 50% water change daily. In Florida fish farms, they raise fish in concrete coffin caskets with continuous water change by feeding well water in one end, and over flowing in the other end. If you can keep up with WC, you donít need filtration of any sort. That said, whether you consciously provide it or not, biological filtration is always there in a cycled system with ample supply of oxygen and biofilmed surfaces.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode