Drop Checker Question - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-05-2020, 11:00 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Drop Checker Question

Hi all. Getting the tank going again after a long losing battle with BBA. It was grueling and I ultimately lost, well gave up is more accurate. I put the thing in stasis until swmbo REALLY motivated me (insert chuckle) to get it cleaned up. Long story with a happy ending, at the moment, but leads me to a question...

Been using co2 for years and the drop checker is what I have been using. Bought a 4dkh solution about 2 years ago, 4oz bottle, enough for a lifetime! It's sealed up and in the closet. Anyone think that stuff will go bad?

I guess that leads to question #2: How long do you notice that your solution in the drop checker stays green? My lights come on at 1500, off at 2130. Co2 starts at 1430 and off at 2100 and I use a pH controller to turn it off and on and a timer to start and stop the cycle. In the past, my drop checker would be blue when I get up at 0600. Now, it is still a shade of green. Does anyone else see their drop checker staying green all night long?

My tank has a glass canopy that seals up the surface pretty well but it is vented about two inches at the rear across the length of the tank. It's a 75 gallon tank that is mildly planted at the moment with two Fluval 406's and a Rex Griggs style CO2 reactor. I also use an Eheim skimmer from 0300 to 0600, which further makes me scratch the old noggin as to why it is staying green.

Water numbers last night are as follows:

pH 6.5
Gh 9
Kh 4
Ca 36
Mg 5
NO3 10ish or so
PO4 1-2

BTW, still have a bit of that BBA but I think with all that I discovered, which is another long story, I'll have it licked.

Thanks all

Dean

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-05-2020, 12:47 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Set the pH meter to allow the CO2 drop the pH by 1.0 and no need for a drop checker.

This way the CO2 will be at a decent level (happy drop checker) while the lights are on, and not be "wasted" at night (drop checker should be blue).

This is of course, only if the 4dkH solution is still 4dkH.

"No Ice? Just Freeze Some Water"

My 30g (25g after learning how a tape measure works) Journal:

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-05-2020, 01:49 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the feedback. That's what I have the controller set to do. Dummy me - I have a KH test kit! Reference solution read 4dKH when I tested shortly after I posted so I am confident the solution is good.

Guess what I really want to know is why the drop checker is still green in the morning!! 😀

Last edited by Darkblade48; 02-08-2020 at 06:28 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-05-2020, 02:36 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinokath View Post
Guess what I really want to know is why the drop checker is still green in the morning!! 😀
It takes a few hours to show what it read er... 3 hours ago.

if you are at a nice healthy light green colour, that is what the CO2 concentration was 2-3 hours ago... hence why I don't use them.

Or, you still have some CO2 in the water in the morning... or at least 2-3 hours before you see it in the morning.

"No Ice? Just Freeze Some Water"

My 30g (25g after learning how a tape measure works) Journal:

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-05-2020, 02:56 PM
Planted Member

What does your ph controller say in the morning? My ph degassed etc is 7.0. I run my controller to get a full point drop so it cycles between 6.0-6.2 while lights are on. By morning my ph reads 6.9-7.0 and my drop checker has returned to blue. So for me what your dropchecker is showing isn't normal by my experience. But more importantly I think is what is your ph controller telling you?

45g fluval bowfront tank, plant 2.0 light, 2 x 206 canister filters, 5lb co2 art pro se
10g quarantine tank

Last edited by Squisher; 02-05-2020 at 02:58 PM. Reason: Just battling spell check like crazy!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-05-2020, 06:09 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I am getting the 1.0 drop from lights out to first thing in a morning, about 8 hours in total later, so everything must be OK but I have never had a drop checker not turn blue by the morning! It is strange, that's for sure. Just to test, for myself, I added a second brand new drop checker to the other side of the tank, just to see if maybe the first one had some kind of contaminant in it that was preventing it from returning to blue. We'll see!

Thanks for the reply!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-05-2020, 09:12 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
I am getting the 1.0 drop from lights out to first thing in a morning, about 8 hours in total later
To be clear, from lights out to the morning you are getting a 1.0 rise in ph not drop right?

45g fluval bowfront tank, plant 2.0 light, 2 x 206 canister filters, 5lb co2 art pro se
10g quarantine tank

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-06-2020, 12:58 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squisher View Post
Quote:
I am getting the 1.0 drop from lights out to first thing in a morning, about 8 hours in total later
To be clear, from lights out to the morning you are getting a 1.0 rise in ph not drop right?

Lol. Correct. Sorry!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode