Co2 reactors - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum
 24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 53 (permalink) Old 02-04-2020, 06:46 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazyjayb View Post
Ok, for something that completely diffuses co2 I think I can live with that.

I don't understand all these pipe and thread measurements which is why I'll look for a visual.

You know of any diy reactors with bypass valves that has pictures lol. I feel like a kid that can't read but I don't want to do this wrong
To answer the question you asked above the reason you install a bypass is so that no matter what flow you have or upgrade to you can always tune the reactor to have just enough flow to not blow out the bubbles. In some cases you may be required to install a bigger middle section from 2" pvc even with a bypass, but I think for 200-300 gph from your eheim with filter media in 2" should be fine with a bypass.

So I don't have a diy picture guide but I can lay out the exact fittings to make a nilocg version without the fitting at the bottom to feed Co2.
Starting with the reactor itself.
All of these are schedule 40 PVC.

From the bottom up:
3/4" slip to 2" slip reducer bushing,
2" 90,
24" section 2" PVC pipe available in this measurement from Home depot pre cut,
2" 90,
3/4" slip to 2" slip reducer bushing.

From the bottom of the bypass up:
threaded barb fitting = your hose size to 3/4" npt,
3/4" 90 slip to FPT,
3/4" pvc section,
3/4" tee with a section connecting the reactor to the bypass,
3/4" pvc section,
3/4 slip fit ball valve,
3/4" pvc section,
3/4" pvc section,
3/4" 90 slip to FPT,
threaded barb fitting = your hose size to 3/4" npt.

the 3/4" sections for the bypass will need to be test fit and cut to spec because I'm not sure on the length needed for those.

Dry test all of the fittings before cementing them together and be extra careful to not get cement into the ball valve area (I keep it flat on the table when cementing the ball valve so the cement is less likely seep into the ball valve area) every slip fitting needs a liberal coat of the cement and the surface of the pvc to be cemented needs to be sanded lightly to make sure it's sealed tight.

Before cementing put the top fitting on the reactor pipe and measure and mark 2" down and then follow the rex grigg reactor guide I linked above to drill an undersized hole and pull the tubing through to exactly center of the reactor pipe, just double check to make sure the drill bit used isn't bigger then the tubing. The tubing should be fairly difficult to pull through in order to make the water tight seal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 53 (permalink) Old 02-04-2020, 08:32 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Hey guys,
I've come to realize as I evolve my tanks that I need a reactor or at least a better way of dissolving co2.

The two tanks I would be needing a reactor for would be a 40g with an eheim 2215 and a 90g with a eheim professional 3

What do you guys run and what would you recommend, I've seen the 15-20$ option which according to reviews is decent with some fixes.

Gulfstream Tropical AGU00529 Ista Max Mix Co2 Reactor for Aquarium, Large https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005DGJEGC..._QenoEb5YN60C9
I have used and made many different reactors etc for co2 over the years. This year I bought the smaller model of this.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000...chweb201603_53
It works better than any thing I have ever used. Very fine micro mist which from what I have read is easier to absorb by plants than completely dissolved plus livestock are less bothered by co2 micro mist at higher levels than totally dissolved co2. The co2 art diffuser is the exact same one just more expensive btw. Could not be any happier . Took less than 5 mons to install on the output of my canister filter and is so small barely notice it attached..

Bump:
Quote:
Hey guys,
I've come to realize as I evolve my tanks that I need a reactor or at least a better way of dissolving co2.

The two tanks I would be needing a reactor for would be a 40g with an eheim 2215 and a 90g with a eheim professional 3

What do you guys run and what would you recommend, I've seen the 15-20$ option which according to reviews is decent with some fixes.

Gulfstream Tropical AGU00529 Ista Max Mix Co2 Reactor for Aquarium, Large https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005DGJEGC..._QenoEb5YN60C9
I have used and made many different reactors etc for co2 over the years. This year I bought the smaller model of this.
It works better than any thing I have ever used. Very fine micro mist which from what I have read is easier to absorb by plants than completely dissolved plus livestock are less bothered by co2 micro mist at higher levels than totally dissolved co2. The co2 art diffuser is the exact same one just more expensive btw. Could not be any happier . Took less than 5 mins to install on the output of my canister filter and is so small barely notice it attached..

Newest Tank
16G Aquastar High Tech
Milwaukee Co2 and PH controller
Co2 Art inline difuser
36 Watts Nicrew Led Mod.
Seachem Onyx sand
Botia Kubotai and dwarf rainbows
post #18 of 53 (permalink) Old 02-04-2020, 08:57 PM
Algae Grower

Anyone have any thoughts on using an inline diffusor such as this one?

JBL Direct Diffuser 19/25 - Seahorse Aquariums Ltd

post #19 of 53 (permalink) Old 02-04-2020, 09:16 PM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
I just set up two that are similarly designed (Green Leaf Aquarium's diffuser). Literally just hooked them up last night so I can't speak for longevity or anything along those lines! I can say that I was able to drop pH a full point with a steady stream of gas in minutes. At first I was sure there was micro-bubble mist, but after a few hours it stopped so might have just been air in the canister filters. I am not of the belief that you want micro bubbles of CO2 in your water rather than fully dissolved CO2.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
post #20 of 53 (permalink) Old 02-04-2020, 11:33 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOTIA View Post
Quote:
Hey guys,

It works better than any thing I have ever used. Very fine micro mist which from what I have read is easier to absorb by plants than completely dissolved plus livestock are less bothered by co2 micro mist at higher levels than totally dissolved co2. The co2 art diffuser is the exact same one just more expensive btw. Could not be any happier . Took less than 5 mons to install on the output of my canister filter and is so small barely notice it attached..

Bump:
Quote:
Hey guys,

It works better than any thing I have ever used. Very fine micro mist which from what I have read is easier to absorb by plants than completely dissolved plus livestock are less bothered by co2 micro mist at higher levels than totally dissolved co2. The co2 art diffuser is the exact same one just more expensive btw. Could not be any happier . Took less than 5 mins to install on the output of my canister filter and is so small barely notice it attached..
Unfortunately what you sent can't be sent to the US and for some reason because of that I can't even see the product

At least I can grow Algae
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #21 of 53 (permalink) Old 02-04-2020, 11:34 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ridge Reef View Post
I just set up two that are similarly designed (Green Leaf Aquarium's diffuser). Literally just hooked them up last night so I can't speak for longevity or anything along those lines! I can say that I was able to drop pH a full point with a steady stream of gas in minutes. At first I was sure there was micro-bubble mist, but after a few hours it stopped so might have just been air in the canister filters. I am not of the belief that you want micro bubbles of CO2 in your water rather than fully dissolved CO2.
Similarly designed as the one hujeta listed?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #22 of 53 (permalink) Old 02-04-2020, 11:36 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quesenek View Post
Quote:
Ok, for something that completely diffuses co2 I think I can live with that.

I don't understand all these pipe and thread measurements which is why I'll look for a visual.

You know of any diy reactors with bypass valves that has pictures lol. I feel like a kid that can't read but I don't want to do this wrong
To answer the question you asked above the reason you install a bypass is so that no matter what flow you have or upgrade to you can always tune the reactor to have just enough flow to not blow out the bubbles. In some cases you may be required to install a bigger middle section from 2" pvc even with a bypass, but I think for 200-300 gph from your eheim with filter media in 2" should be fine with a bypass.

So I don't have a diy picture guide but I can lay out the exact fittings to make a nilocg version without the fitting at the bottom to feed Co2.
Starting with the reactor itself.
All of these are schedule 40 PVC.

From the bottom up:
3/4" slip to 2" slip reducer bushing,
2" 90,
24" section 2" PVC pipe available in this measurement from Home depot pre cut,
2" 90,
3/4" slip to 2" slip reducer bushing.

From the bottom of the bypass up:
threaded barb fitting = your hose size to 3/4" npt,
3/4" 90 slip to FPT,
3/4" pvc section,
3/4" pvc section,
3/4 slip fit ball valve,
3/4" pvc section,
3/4" pvc section,
3/4" 90 slip to FPT,
threaded barb fitting = your hose size to 3/4" npt.

the 3/4" sections for the bypass will need to be test fit and cut to spec because I'm not sure on the length needed for those.

Dry test all of the fittings before cementing them together and be extra careful to not get cement into the ball valve area (I keep it flat on the table when cementing the ball valve so the cement is less likely seep into the ball valve area) every slip fitting needs a liberal coat of the cement and the surface of the pvc to be cemented needs to be sanded lightly to make sure it's sealed tight.

Before cementing put the top fitting on the reactor pipe and measure and mark 2" down and then follow the rex grigg reactor guide I linked above to drill an undersized hole and pull the tubing through to exactly center of the reactor pipe, just double check to make sure the drill bit used isn't bigger then the tubing. The tubing should be fairly difficult to pull through in order to make the water tight seal.
This sounds promising, do you have a picture of the completed product, I'm a very visual person

post #23 of 53 (permalink) Old 02-05-2020, 01:02 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Unfortunately what you sent can't be sent to the US and for some reason because of that I can't even see the product

Also get it on amazon

Newest Tank
16G Aquastar High Tech
Co2 Art inline difuser
36 Watts Nicrew Led Mod.
Seachem Onyx sand
post #24 of 53 (permalink) Old 02-05-2020, 01:04 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:

Blue Ridge Reef likes this.

Newest Tank
16G Aquastar High Tech
Co2 Art inline difuser
36 Watts Nicrew Led Mod.
Seachem Onyx sand
post #25 of 53 (permalink) Old 02-05-2020, 01:13 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Co2 reactors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hujeta View Post
Anyone have any thoughts on using an inline diffusor such as this one?

JBL Direct Diffuser 19/25 - Seahorse Aquariums Ltd

Pretty same design as co2art one with an added bubble counter.
The ceramic element is hollow so gas enters from outside the flow keeping it relatively unobstructed. Great design . Mine is now 4 months old and still working same as day 1.

Newest Tank
16G Aquastar High Tech
Co2 Art inline difuser
36 Watts Nicrew Led Mod.
Seachem Onyx sand
post #26 of 53 (permalink) Old 02-05-2020, 01:30 AM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
@Crazyjayb in the sense that an inline ceramic disk mists gas into the water current of the output of a canister filter, yes. If the inner workings are vastly different, mea culpa for calling them similar.
Quote:
Tom Barr quote
I appreciate the correction. Besides being counter intuitive, every single time I've gassed livestock, it's been when I could see the mist and I am admittedly snakebitten. This is fresh, because the most recent time was ...when I got home from work tonight. I have it in my head that there's no way to inject so much CO2 so as that it creates a fine mist and not be nearing the danger zone, but I suppose mist can be created in water at any CO2 level. Tonight's deaths in two tanks with newly set up CO2 are entirely due my carelessness, and to make it worse I have a new controller still in the box that I wasn't patient enough to get running first. Not to sidetrack the thread, and I'm happy to discuss it in my tank journal if @Crazyjb would prefer.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
post #27 of 53 (permalink) Old 02-05-2020, 02:04 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Co2 reactors

Here is a pic of the inner workings , it is not a disk but the same hollow ceramic tube element as the one I have.
Brilliant free glowing low maintence design. Just make sure to put output side of canister.
Incident fish in my tank always like to play in the CO2 mist bubbles when it starts to come out. I can get ph fown quickly ..

Newest Tank
16G Aquastar High Tech
Co2 Art inline difuser
36 Watts Nicrew Led Mod.
Seachem Onyx sand
post #28 of 53 (permalink) Old 02-05-2020, 02:15 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

@BOTIA I saw that same quote from him but it didn't make much sense to me as too why. Does anyone know the reason? I can only imagine it is because the bubbles get trapped under leaves and the directly expose the leaves to pure co2?

post #29 of 53 (permalink) Old 02-05-2020, 02:17 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Here is a pic of the inner workings , it is not a disk but the same hollow ceramic tube element as the one I have.
Brilliant free glowing low maintence design. Just make sure to put output side of canister.
Incident fish in my tank always like to play in the CO2 mist bubbles when it starts to come out. I can get ph fown quickly ..
I've seen those as well and been interested in trying them. I have seen much better reviews for reactors though and therefore would like to make one. I'm also not too keen on seeing micro bubbles

post #30 of 53 (permalink) Old 02-05-2020, 02:19 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
@Crazyjayb in the sense that an inline ceramic disk mists gas into the water current of the output of a canister filter, yes. If the inner workings are vastly different, mea culpa for calling them similar.
Quote:
Tom Barr quote
I appreciate the correction. Besides being counter intuitive, every single time I've gassed livestock, it's been when I could see the mist and I am admittedly snakebitten. This is fresh, because the most recent time was ...when I got home from work tonight. I have it in my head that there's no way to inject so much CO2 so as that it creates a fine mist and not be nearing the danger zone, but I suppose mist can be created in water at any CO2 level. Tonight's deaths in two tanks with newly set up CO2 are entirely due my carelessness, and to make it worse I have a new controller still in the box that I wasn't patient enough to get running first. Not to sidetrack the thread, and I'm happy to discuss it in my tank journal if @Crazyjb would prefer.
Feel free to discuss it here, my heart isn't set on a reactor and I'd like to try other things as well and an opportunity to learn more is always a good opportunity.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode