• 2 Post By Greggz
  • 2 Post By Quagulator
  • 1 Post By Asteroid

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-02-2020, 06:40 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
C02 Distribution Problem

I am currently having trouble getting my co2 from my reactor distributed throughout my entire tank which is a 75 gallon. I have tried running the spray bar horizontally on the side of the tank since I am running 2 ac 110s but the co2 wasnt getting to the other end of my tank. I was thinking of putting it in the middle between my 2 AC 110s on the back wall. Would this work? I've attached a pic of what I am trying to do. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200202_142326_1580672429447.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	3.58 MB
ID:	892771  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-02-2020, 06:50 PM
Wannabe Guru

that looks like it could work. How did you determine that co2 wasn't being distributed throughout? Dissolved co2 from reactor should get around pretty easily IMO.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-02-2020, 06:59 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I let my drop checker sit for about 5 hours and it still gave the indicator I needed to add even more co2 unfortunately and I was at about 5 bps.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-02-2020, 07:11 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neonlights150 View Post
I let my drop checker sit for about 5 hours and it still gave the indicator I needed to add even more co2 unfortunately and I was at about 5 bps.
Did you take several readings from different spots.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-03-2020, 09:54 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (89/98%)
Co2 losing fast because of the two hob filters, and 5 bubble/s is kinda slow to reach the desired concentration of co2 in a 75 gallon tank.
Quesenek, Quagulator and Asteroid like this.

Canon Pimp Club #17
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-03-2020, 10:58 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
5 bps in a 75 is nothing.

Should be more like a steady stream, impossible to count.

Are you targeting a pH drop from degassed value? If not, you should.
Quagulator and Asteroid like this.

---
---
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-03-2020, 01:56 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
If you talk about 5bps at the bubble counter attached to the CO2 gauge is nothing. In my 30G and 120G, i replace the water with mineral oil in the bubble counter in order to count bps but it is useless because CO2 is currently flowing like a stream. You should increase more CO2 input.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-03-2020, 02:27 PM
Planted Tank Guru

My 25 gallon was pushing 5 bubbles per second, I couldn't count that fast so I matched the sound of the bubbles entering the reactor to a metronome and divided the beats per minute by 60 seconds to get me a rough bubble per second reading.

A 75 gallon running HOB filters would need multiples of what I was running, unfortunately for you a flow meter would be required to get a reading on how much gas you are running, not needed if you watch pH drop and have a decent drop checker solution.
Asteroid and evil8 like this.

"No Ice? Just Freeze Some Water"

My 30g (25g after learning how a tape measure works) Journal:

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-03-2020, 02:33 PM
Wannabe Guru

i agree with the others, my first post pertained to you saying you weren't getting co2 distributed throughout the tank so I was curious if you were getting good co2 anywhere in the tank with that setup. As mentioned the HOB will degas.

Quote:
I am currently having trouble getting my co2 from my reactor distributed throughout my entire tank which is a 75 gallon.
[
Quagulator likes this.

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-03-2020, 04:03 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Should I maybe take one of my ac 110s off the tank and put the filter media in the cannister? The cannister is brand new and was purchased it along with the reactor so I wouldn't be losing any bacteria. I will also increase co2 and see what happens. I only took a reading from the top right of the tank since the spray bar was located on the left side. This is my first high tech setup so I have much to learn but I think I atleast have all the necessary equipment.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-03-2020, 06:30 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Should I maybe take one of my ac 110s off the tank and put the filter media in the cannister? The cannister is brand new and was purchased it along with the reactor so I wouldn't be losing any bacteria. I will also increase co2 and see what happens. I only took a reading from the top right of the tank since the spray bar was located on the left side. This is my first high tech setup so I have much to learn but I think I atleast have all the necessary equipment.
If you transfer all the media from the AquaClear's into the canister, you wont hurt the cycle at all.

Is the tank currently stocked?

What canister are you running?

What style reactor are you running?

"No Ice? Just Freeze Some Water"

My 30g (25g after learning how a tape measure works) Journal:

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-03-2020, 09:03 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Leave the AC filters unless you don't like them aesthetically. You want that surface agitation to be able to push a large amount of Co2 into the water faster without gassing your fish.

The way that I gauge Co2 levels in the tank is by how my fish act. When dialing things in If my drop checker is green, but the fish are not bothered by it I increase it until they are bothered by it, note do this extremely slow looking for the reaction from the fish each time for a few hours afterward. Once I reach that point where the fish are bothered by the Co2 level, at the surface gulping, I back it off a small amount and then I back it off a couple budges to give my system some buffer room in case the reactor diffuses more Co2 then the current level at any point.
The most important thing is to keep an eye on your fish to see if the Co2 is still too high at any point.

Last edited by Quesenek; 02-04-2020 at 01:26 AM. Reason: Added
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-03-2020, 09:31 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

[QUOTE=Quagulator;11304511]
Quote:
Should I maybe take one of my ac 110s off the tank and put the filter media in the cannister? The cannister is brand new and was purchased it along with the reactor so I wouldn't be losing any bacteria. I will also

If you transfer all the media from the AquaClear's into the canister, you wont hurt the cycle at all.

Is the tank currently stocked?

What canister are you running?

What style reactor are you running?
Yep tank is fully stocked. I am running a hydor 350 and a greenleaf reactor.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode