3Likes
  • 2 Post By Discusluv
  • 1 Post By PlantedRich

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-30-2020, 08:30 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Fish room - tank sizes?

This is theoretical at this point, but what size tank is good to use when you're just starting a small fish room? I have a 48gal (90p Landen) thats going to be my display tank once I get all the small equipment collected, but I want to start breeding some species and getting some species I've never had before.

I'm probably moving in a couple months so this wont be set up for awhile so mostly just thinking about what yall have found to be good sizes when stacking multiple tanks, breeding, starting a small fish room, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-30-2020, 09:37 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Depends on what kind of fish you are interested in breeding and how many fish you intend to raise. For instance, if you are breeding ram cichlids and want multiple spawns and fry growing at one time, you would need some ten gallons for pairs, some 5's for newly hatched fry, and some 20's-30 gallon ( depending on amount) to grow them out further.
Now, if you were raising larger cichlids like discus, for instance, you would need 30-40 gallons to keep each pair. 20-30 gallons to raise fry up to about 4 inches ( depending on amount of fry), and 55-75 gallons for sub-adults to adults. Depends on when you want to sell these offspring, at young 2-3 inch, 4 inch, 5 inch, Adults, etc...

I would first decide what you want to breed and how much time you have to devote to it-- this will let you know what size tanks to get and how many.

Edit: I would also advise going to your local aquarium society meetings and talking to fish breeders, they will give you excellent ideas on breeding that you are unlikely to find on a Planted aquarium forum. Ask to see their fish rooms, this will give you ideas on how these--- small-large-- operations are done.
deeda and Blue Ridge Reef like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Amy
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-30-2020, 09:46 PM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
Yep, there's all sorts of fish out there. Rasboras and dwarf cichlids are bred in 5.5 gallon tanks by folks on these forums, whereas a 180 gallon tanks are generally what oscar breeders suggest. The one thing I would keep in mind is widths of the tanks you choose for building your racks. For smaller tanks like I'm guessing you mean, they're usually either 13" or 18". And 18" are usually the tanks you see labeled as "breeder" tanks, ie. 40 breeder, etc. Also, while it's not ideal for viewing, you can fit a lot more tanks on a rack turning them sideways. That would drive me crazy personally, but if space is really limited it can help save a ton.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-31-2020, 06:22 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
So many options! And that leaves so many decisions to make. How big the room versus how many tanks will set what works best for stacking versus single or double layers. Keep in mind that stacking really adds to the problems of maintaining the tanks. What type fish certainly dictates what size tank is best and that part may also change as you find what works best for your area. Value of fish and market varies due to lots of small points. Who are the major buyers, what is the competition will change what sells best.
When first starting breeding, it came about by accident as the fish did it mostly on their own! But as I got into selling more often, it quickly showed what sold higher/ best for me.
Getting something that is not available in your area is now less easy to do as so many species are available mailorder, but there are some like angelfish who are still highly prized due to the difficulty of shipping large ones without larger damage or loss, so if you want to breed and growout nice angels, they will often sell very well but then they also require larger tanks.
Starting and finding out what fits for you but also keep in mind that it is rarely a true money maker as it tends to only offset some of the costs involved with hardly any to pay for time spent. Better off picking up cans, perhaps?
Bettatail likes this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode