Small and quiet canister filter? - The Planted Tank Forum
 52Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 73 (permalink) Old 01-29-2020, 06:15 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Small and quiet canister filter?

Hey, I'm looking for a recommendation on a canister filter that can be kept in a bedroom. Space is also limited so not larger than necessary, tank will be 22 gallons. I've mainly been using DIY dripfilters and similar where I didn't care too much for appearance and noise but now those things are important. Easy to service and durable are also important factors, built in heater is a + to get a cleaner tank.

Looking at Fluval 207, could that be a good choice?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fluval-A443...upplies&sr=1-2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 73 (permalink) Old 01-29-2020, 06:20 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Eheim 2211 would be my go to, even a 2213.

2213 might be a better option actually, a little more flow.

You can throttle it back using the quick connect valves and use a "spin" style lily pipe outflow.
mgeorges likes this.

"No Ice? Just Freeze Some Water"

My 30g (25g after learning how a tape measure works) Journal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 73 (permalink) Old 01-29-2020, 06:22 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I have an Eheim Ecco Pro 300 on my 25G (US gallons, 96 liters to the rest of us ).

Quite compact, very quiet, very easy to maintain, fairly cheap to run. I did swap the intake/outlet for a modular spray bar and intake though.

Journal

post #4 of 73 (permalink) Old 01-29-2020, 06:23 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hujeta View Post
Hey, I'm looking for a recommendation on a canister filter that can be kept in a bedroom. Space is also limited so not larger than necessary, tank will be 22 gallons. I've mainly been using DIY dripfilters and similar where I didn't care too much for appearance and noise but now those things are important. Easy to service and durable are also important factors, built in heater is a + to get a cleaner tank.

Looking at Fluval 207, could that be a good choice?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fluval-A443...upplies&sr=1-2
For a small tank like what you are talking about I would be tempted to use a small internal filter. That way you get the sound dampening of the tank/water itself to help you out. I am very light sleeper and fankly gave up on tanks in my bedroom years ago, but if I were going to do it that would be how I would go about it. The downside is that you need to hide the darn thing. If diy is your thing I would make a corner matten filter attached to a dc variable water pump with the return line below the water's surface. Otherwise any of the many small off the shelf internal filters would be a good choice.

Beyond that I have not heard anyone ever say one canister filter is particularly more silent then another. They all tend to produce a low level hum but that's about it. If the heater is a + then you are probably looking at an Oase Thermo filter.

Good luck.

post #5 of 73 (permalink) Old 01-29-2020, 06:44 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Sound and size are two big reasons I love my Top Fin MF10 internal filters. I have two in my 20 gallon, and one each for four other tanks in my bedroom. They are mostly hidden by plants, and I only hear a little water if I am running them at the surface. I discovered that the Aquaclear 20 foam fits in them, and is a bit more porous than the included foam, so I'm starting to switch to foam. The filters are only $13 each, and they are shrimp-safe.

Style: Organic potting soil, gravel, sand, wood, plants, algae, biofilm, snails, shrimp, fish, dual siestas
Tech : Small tanks, Fluval Plant 3.0, Top Fin MF10, Eheim Classic 150, Neptune Systems Apex EL
Tanks:
|
|
|
|
|
post #6 of 73 (permalink) Old 01-29-2020, 06:48 PM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
I don't know of a canister filter brand that is known to be loud though I'd guess they're out there. I'd say most loud ones might just need to have the impeller or shaft replaced. At home I run two canisters in the same room. A few weeks ago after moving the tanks, I put an appliance timer on one of them. At one point it was really quiet in my house and my significant other pointed out that she could hear it. After unplugging the timer, I realized I could too. That really brought home how quiet these tanks are -two canister filters made less noticeable noise than one timer.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
post #7 of 73 (permalink) Old 01-29-2020, 06:57 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quagulator View Post

You can throttle it back using the quick connect valves and use a "spin" style lily pipe outflow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelongsnail View Post
I have an Eheim Ecco Pro 300 on my 25G (US gallons, 96 liters to the rest of us ).

Quite compact, very quiet, very easy to maintain, fairly cheap to run. I did swap the intake/outlet for a modular spray bar and intake though.
Thanks for the input guys. I do remember having the Ecco 300 at some stage, but at that time I had 3-4 aquariums in my flat so even if it was silent the rest of the equipment for sure wasn't. Seems these suggestions are all ticking the boxes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by minorhero View Post
For a small tank like what you are talking about I would be tempted to use a small internal filter. That way you get the sound dampening of the tank/water itself to help you out. I am very light sleeper and fankly gave up on tanks in my bedroom years ago, but if I were going to do it that would be how I would go about it. The downside is that you need to hide the darn thing. If diy is your thing I would make a corner matten filter attached to a dc variable water pump with the return line below the water's surface. Otherwise any of the many small off the shelf internal filters would be a good choice.

Beyond that I have not heard anyone ever say one canister filter is particularly more silent then another. They all tend to produce a low level hum but that's about it. If the heater is a + then you are probably looking at an Oase Thermo filter.

Good luck.
Interesting thought - I've always disregarded internal filters as part of "beginner aquarium kits" for kids and similar, but it maybe I should consider it. I suppose hiding it is an issue, as well as it will steal a litre or two (as opposed to adding ~5 litres in total water volume) but both of these can be addressed with some planning of the layout.

I've done some DIY matten filters (didn't know english name for it) which can be hugely effective of biological filtration given it's square area. I used it in combination with a Fluval FX5 and Aquael filter of similar size back when I was keeping predatory fish. Thinking of it more closely that would probably be the least noisy option, as a good submersed power head wouldn't even vibrate/hum. From my recollection the issue with them was cleaning it without leaving all the debris in the tank. Could probably be avoided with some engineering. Thanks for the suggestion, definitely something to consider.
post #8 of 73 (permalink) Old 01-29-2020, 07:07 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streetwise View Post
Sound and size are two big reasons I love my Top Fin MF10 internal filters. I have two in my 20 gallon, and one each for four other tanks in my bedroom. They are mostly hidden by plants, and I only hear a little water if I am running them at the surface. I discovered that the Aquaclear 20 foam fits in them, and is a bit more porous than the included foam, so I'm starting to switch to foam. The filters are only $13 each, and they are shrimp-safe.
Another suggestion on internal filter, I definitely need to reevalute my impression of them. If you're able to keep four of them in your bedroom that's a top candidate for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ridge Reef View Post
I don't know of a canister filter brand that is known to be loud though I'd guess they're out there. I'd say most loud ones might just need to have the impeller or shaft replaced. At home I run two canisters in the same room. A few weeks ago after moving the tanks, I put an appliance timer on one of them. At one point it was really quiet in my house and my significant other pointed out that she could hear it. After unplugging the timer, I realized I could too. That really brought home how quiet these tanks are -two canister filters made less noticeable noise than one timer.
Those timers can be a real nuisance! From my experience they're dead silent in the beginning, then after a month or two that ticking-sound starts playing, slowly, so you don't notice until you've been away a few days. Happened to me after a holiday, I was going mental of listening to 3 or 4 of 'em ticking in different strokes.

Valid point though, the whole equipment chain needs to be silent otherwise point is lost.
Blue Ridge Reef likes this.
post #9 of 73 (permalink) Old 01-29-2020, 07:20 PM
snails are your friend

This one was brand new and still made the noise. I can only look forward to how loud it will get when it "breaks in!" Guess I should have gotten an electric timer rather than a mechanical one, in retrospect.

post #10 of 73 (permalink) Old 01-29-2020, 07:37 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Interesting thought - I've always disregarded internal filters as part of "beginner aquarium kits" for kids and similar, but it maybe I should consider it.
If you are planning to do moderate to heavily planted tank then biological filtration is less of an issue as compared to no plants or only sparsely planted tanks. Thus you can easily get away with a very small amount of filtration. You mostly use the filter for a bit of water movement and mechanical filtering ability.
Blue Ridge Reef and Asteroid like this.

post #11 of 73 (permalink) Old 01-29-2020, 07:41 PM
snails are your friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by minorhero View Post
You mostly use the filter for a bit of water movement and mechanical filtering ability.
I kind of feel that way about external canister filters in heavily planted tanks. I clean mine sometimes and wonder if replacing it with a powerhead with a pre-filter wouldn't make as much sense and make maintenance a lot easier.

post #12 of 73 (permalink) Old 01-29-2020, 07:42 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Depending on fish / livestock load / substrate choice / water change schedule and plant mass you could probably get away with a small inline pump only with an intake sponge... Clean the sponge in old take water at every water change.

post #13 of 73 (permalink) Old 01-29-2020, 07:43 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
... I've mainly been using DIY dripfilters and similar where I didn't care too much for appearance and noise but now those things are important. Easy to service and durable are also important factors, built in heater is a + to get a cleaner tank.
L
If your goal is a clean, minimalist tank equipment-wise and your doing some sort of aquascape than definitely go with a canister and lily pipes for the intake/return. As pointed out most filters are pretty quiet. My eheim 2213 I don't hear at all.

post #14 of 73 (permalink) Old 01-29-2020, 07:45 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quagulator View Post

Agreed. I have 2x Eheim 2213's running on 10 gallon tanks with the flow throttled, and I've got a 2217 on my 29 gallon with the flow throttled. Been running all three for about three years now, no complaints. Outstanding and reliable filters. Quiet, too! I would suggest grabbing media bags if you go this route, as there aren't trays, the media is loose and simply stacked in the 22xx series. The 2213 comes with media, and the order it suggests is ceramic rings on bottom, blue sponge, bio media, then filter floss on top. It's a bit of a pain if you are dealing with just loose media and can't easily pull a bag out. These days, however, I run just a stack of the blue sponges and top it off with a couple layers of filter floss and some Purigen.
Quagulator likes this.
post #15 of 73 (permalink) Old 01-29-2020, 07:47 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asteroid View Post
My eheim 2213 I don't hear at all.
I had a 2213 running and I could hear my mechanical timer more than the filter...

If a hum does start to form, place a small 1/4" thick piece of packaging foam underneath the filter to take in some vibration...

Ensure the hoses aren't touching the stand (it will transfer vibration into the stand material amplifying the hum).

Super quite... I love Eheims, I've got 5 of them just because... only running 2 tanks atm. Bought some in an auction just to use as a paper weight.
Asteroid likes this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode