Help with CO2 tank/regulator - The Planted Tank Forum
 4Likes
  • 2 Post By Beachcruiser
  • 2 Post By jeffkrol

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-28-2020, 02:39 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question Help with CO2 tank/regulator

I have limited space where my tank is, so I went with a smaller 20oz paintball CO2 tank with an adapter and a regulator with a built-in solenoid.

Everything is working well. Almost. The problem is that the regulator is positioned with "normal" tanks in mind that have their outlet on the side, but my paintball tank has its outlet going straight up. This means that I have to keep the entire thing on its side in order to keep the bubble counter and gauges in the upright position.

I've been looking for a female to male CGA-320 elbow, but I can't seem to find one anywhere. Any help would be much appreciated.

Last edited by Chahk; 01-28-2020 at 02:58 PM. Reason: spelling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-28-2020, 05:16 PM
Algae Grower

It may be different for paintball tanks, but larger CO2 tanks are supposed to be stored in an upright position. Maybe someone w/ that experience will chime in.

If you do a search here, there are several threads concerning this issue. Some folks have gotten an adapter & then used 1/4" NPT to "turn the corner".
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-28-2020, 10:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chahk View Post
I have limited space where my tank is, so I went with a smaller 20oz paintball CO2 tank with an adapter and a regulator with a built-in solenoid.

Everything is working well. Almost. The problem is that the regulator is positioned with "normal" tanks in mind that have their outlet on the side, but my paintball tank has its outlet going straight up. This means that I have to keep the entire thing on its side in order to keep the bubble counter and gauges in the upright position.

I've been looking for a female to male CGA-320 elbow, but I can't seem to find one anywhere. Any help would be much appreciated.

Sideways could allow liquid CO2 to come out of the tank..

That can cause freeze issues

You want the gas.

Suspended for 30 days for being awful to other forum members

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-29-2020, 06:58 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (89/98%)
if you are looking for extra fittings to make a 90 degree turn for that co2 regulator, you actually need several pieces of specialized fittings, they are not easy to find, also the total cost will be more than a 5lb co2 tank.

search evilbay for luxfer 5lb co2 tank, you will see the listing for new 5lb aluminium co2 tank, only cost $42, free shipping.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Canon Pimp Club #17
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-29-2020, 01:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettatail View Post
if you are looking for extra fittings to make a 90 degree turn for that co2 regulator, you actually need several pieces of specialized fittings, they are not easy to find, also the total cost will be more than a 5lb co2 tank.
search evilbay for luxfer 5lb co2 tank, you will see the listing for new 5lb aluminium co2 tank, only cost $42, free shipping.
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction (pun totally intended.) I went ahead and ordered that tank - apparently it's only 14.5 inches tall which leaves me another 3 inches of clearance.

A single fill of my 20oz tank usually lasts around 3 months on my 20 gallon long @ 4bpm, so I imagine I won't have to refill this one in a year or longer.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-04-2020, 04:08 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Check out the 1.5 lb and the 2.5 lb CO2 cylinders and see if they meet your requirements.

https://www.kegoutlet.com/1-5-lb-co2-tank-aluminum.html

https://beveragelements.com/beverage...yABEgLQT_D_BwE

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-04-2020, 04:22 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I'm also against using tanks horizontal as it may let liquid CO2 come out into the reg. Once liquid expands and becomes gas, it makes much, much more volume. I have never done it but I worry what that suddenly expanding gas does if the liquid happens to be in some confined space, like a needle valve bubble counter, etc. that is not designed for the high pressure of expanding gas. Just not something I do want to find out about when it next to my tanks!
Another small point when choosing CO2 tanks is the way we pay for gas. It is not the gas which costs us but the time/effort to fill the tank, so we can get a larger tank of double size for near the same price. Always a good idea to go with the larger tank if it is at all practical.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-04-2020, 04:37 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chahk View Post
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction (pun totally intended.) I went ahead and ordered that tank - apparently it's only 14.5 inches tall which leaves me another 3 inches of clearance.

A single fill of my 20oz tank usually lasts around 3 months on my 20 gallon long @ 4bpm, so I imagine I won't have to refill this one in a year or longer.

I think you mean 4bps NOT 4bpm.

Best regards,

Stuart

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tankful in Vancouver

Tags
co2, equipment

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode