33 or 40 Long...Why so hard to find? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-26-2020, 12:07 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
33 or 40 Long...Why so hard to find?

Checked all over Central Kentucky for either a 33 Long or 40 Long and haven't had any luck. Tried an independently owned store and a small chain and they both said their distributors did not have any in stock. Also tried PetSmart and Petco with no luck either. All places had tons of 40 breeders.....Is this the wrong time of year to try to find these tanks or have they just fallen by the wayside in favor of other sized tanks? Frustrating...Please help. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-26-2020, 01:30 PM
Wannabe Guru

I've seen people online with 33 and 40 longs but have never seen one in person. Outside of online or custom builder I don't know where to get one.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-26-2020, 06:25 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the reply minorhero. I like the 48" length but just don't want the height of a 55 gal (even though it's not that much taller). Aqueon currently lists both sizes on their website so I will continue my quest....

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-26-2020, 07:12 PM
Algae Grower

I had some difficulty finding my size and dealt with Aqueon directly. They stated they have had staffing issues that has production way behind, so mostly building more sought after sizes..
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-26-2020, 07:45 PM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
Your LFS should be able to get these for you. I've had a number of these tanks, they're manufactured by most every company who makes a 55. They are fairly popular for people who have 2x4 or wrought iron stands to be able to put a second tank underneath their 55 and still be able to reach into it/fit lights and so forth. They usually cost as much as a 55 so aren't as commonly seen but I feel sure your LFS could have you one quickly.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-26-2020, 11:39 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquatroy50 View Post
I had some difficulty finding my size and dealt with Aqueon directly. They stated they have had staffing issues that has production way behind, so mostly building more sought after sizes..

I suspected something like that. It makes sense that they would shift production to the more popular sizes. I had planned on giving them a call.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ridge Reef View Post
Your LFS should be able to get these for you. I've had a number of these tanks, they're manufactured by most every company who makes a 55. They are fairly popular for people who have 2x4 or wrought iron stands to be able to put a second tank underneath their 55 and still be able to reach into it/fit lights and so forth. They usually cost as much as a 55 so aren't as commonly seen but I feel sure your LFS could have you one quickly.

Fingers crossed on the LFS finding one. They said one distributor doesn't have any but they have two more distributors and they should know something by late tomorrow morning....A 40 Long is actually more expensive than a 55 since its a "special order" but I'm ok with that.

Thanks for the replies!...I will post if I have success...
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-27-2020, 04:44 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (16/100%)
I just saw one for the first time yesterday at my LFS. It would have followed me home if I had a place to at least store it.

RAOK Club #55
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-27-2020, 05:12 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Just an "observation.. the 40 and 33 long are just shallow or shallower 55's.. So don't fill it..

more tongue in cheek. I know there are shelf considerations ect...

https://www.petswarehouse.com/marine...-3-l-1-308470/

https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcos...llon-5051128-1
55 $70, 40B $50..

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure."
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-27-2020, 11:41 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkrol View Post
Just an "observation.. the 40 and 33 long are just shallow or shallower 55's.. So don't fill it..

more tongue in cheek. I know there are shelf considerations ect...

https://www.petswarehouse.com/marine...-3-l-1-308470/

https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcos...llon-5051128-1
55 $70, 40B $50..

Great observation .....Seriously, the reason for the 33 or 40 L is that the room is kinda small and I don't want to overwhelm...I know the 55 is only 4 inches taller but I have envisioned a longer, lower tank with a couple large schools of small fish....Maybe a large school of tetras and rasboras with a group of corys and some khuli loaches....Moderate to heavily planted.....Just my humble opinion but I feel like the 40 gallons is better utilized with a longer tank vs the 36 inch long 40 breeder.....

I would gladly pay the price at petswarehouse, but I really don't want to drive to NY to get it...My LFS hasn't had any luck locating the 40L yet. I called Aqueon and Marineland and they said that the 40L is actively being manufactured but would not give any more information, only directed me back to the LFS to check with the distributor....I'm afraid I will have to end up getting the 55....

Thanks for the reply!
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-28-2020, 12:41 AM
Wannabe Guru

My LFS was able to order one directly from Aqueon for me. Honestly I am not in love with the size though. Mine is currently in storage. I may do some sort of hill stream type set up for it eventually. But if I had it to do over again I would have probably just bought a 75 gallon. If I remember correctly it was reasonably expensive too (for the size).

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-28-2020, 01:04 AM
Algae Grower

My LFS usually keeps one 40 and 33 in stock and sell for $105 to $135. He advertises them as Perfecto. Im not sure if thats Aqueon. A lot of people may like the shallower tanks for getting light to the substrate
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-28-2020, 01:16 AM

40 breeder

Sorry misread question wrong and mind just jumped to 40 breeder. Not sure where to acquire the 40L.

Last edited by Roxana; 01-28-2020 at 01:47 AM. Reason: didn't read the post correctly
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-29-2020, 01:08 AM
Algae Grower

I had this issue 2 yrs ago no stores stocked it. But found aqueon makes a 33L.
Go to their website And they have a list of authorized sellers. Call one in your area and request, more likely they will call their aqueon distributors and find one for you
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-30-2020, 12:12 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Mine's an aqueon tank. I got it from my LFS (actually, next town over from me) and he happened to have two in stock when I got it- several years ago now. I would guess if your LFS stocks aqueon tanks they could special order one for you. 33L happens to be my favorite of the 4 tanks I have.

|
|
|
|
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-30-2020, 05:19 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

For some reason the chains near me dont like to stock the longs (15g, 20L, 33 or 44s) but they have the 20h, 29g, and 38g (which is a odd tank like a shortened 55). Managed to get the last 20L they had when the $1 was going on.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode