• 1 Post By Hojae84
  • 2 Post By Bandit1200
  • 1 Post By EdWiser

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-25-2020, 02:24 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Best carpet scissors?

I have a cheap pair of curved scissors and.... they are terrible.

So looking for the best pair of scissors for trimming a carpet. Curved or just small? Advice greatly appreciated folks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-25-2020, 02:34 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
I use a pair of wave or S scissors 8" made by ista.

Fluval Spec V
7x Microsynodontis sp (1)

10g Terrarium
1x Cranwelli Horned Frog
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-25-2020, 12:34 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
I know this doesn't sound too ' high tech ' , but I just use a pair of regular old el-cheapo 6 inch straight scissors from wal-mart !! Work fine and keeps a nice, straight line. Haven't used my $$ curved' aquascaping' scissors in years !!

Jim

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-25-2020, 03:35 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffww View Post
I use a pair of wave or S scissors 8" made by ista.
How do you like them? My scissors are of a similar style but I find they rip plants more then slice them. I was pulling hair grass out of the substrate almost as often as cutting it. I found them essentially useless and went back to my long straight scissors which did a fine job cutting but were so long I wasn't able to get everything cut the way I wanted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCombra View Post
I know this doesn't sound too ' high tech ' , but I just use a pair of regular old el-cheapo 6 inch straight scissors from wal-mart !! Work fine and keeps a nice, straight line. Haven't used my $$ curved' aquascaping' scissors in years !!

Jim
I am definitely not above using regular scissors, I just am looking for whatever works best.

So far I am considering trying some spring scissors like these.

Also considering dental scissors.

And finally I found that embroidery people use "double curve" scissors that look quite nice like this one.

If anyone really loves their wave scissors or other types I am game for trying those. I don't mind spending a little more if I can get better results.

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-25-2020, 06:48 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by minorhero View Post
How do you like them? My scissors are of a similar style but I find they rip plants more then slice them. I was pulling hair grass out of the substrate almost as often as cutting it. I found them essentially useless and went back to my long straight scissors which did a fine job cutting but were so long I wasn't able to get everything cut the way I wanted.

I am definitely not above using regular scissors, I just am looking for whatever works best.

So far I am considering trying some spring scissors like these.

Also considering dental scissors.

And finally I found that embroidery people use "double curve" scissors that look quite nice like this one.

If anyone really loves their wave scissors or other types I am game for trying those. I don't mind spending a little more if I can get better results.
My wave scissors are my go to for all my trimming. I don't use my straight scissors anymore unless I'm carefully thinning out my java fern or anubias. I highly recommend getting a good pair (meaning spend more than 15 bucks on them). Size them according to the size of your tank 8" for 3'+ tanks and 6" or less for smaller tanks.

My Ista pair I got when I visited taiwan.

Fluval Spec V
7x Microsynodontis sp (1)

10g Terrarium
1x Cranwelli Horned Frog
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-25-2020, 07:58 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I have the S-curved scissors from Green Leaf Aquariums. The blades have tungsten carbide inserts, which is supposed to keep them sharp for a long time.
xjclassic likes this.

My Tank Journal:
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-28-2020, 03:30 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Thank you folks!

I looked for the ista variety but couldn't find them. I definitely thought long and hard about the gla scissors but in the end I decided to try a different route. For a while now it has been my observation that a lot of stuff in the aquarium hobby is built for other people and when they rebrand it for aquariums they just increase the price 200 or 300 percent.

Scissors feels like it should be one of those things. I mean... scissors are pretty simply pieces of equipment??

Anyway I ended up buying a pair of double curved embroidery scissors. After reading a bunch of reviews online about embroidery scissors I learned that one of the main brand names in the business is a company called Gingher. Amazon was selling a pair of Gingher embroidery scissors for 20 dollars marked down from 33.

I bought them and just tried them out on my Walstad tank's carpet. This is the tank that inspired me to go on this quest since the last time I tried to cut the carpet it was awful.

This time... it was pretty great. These scissors are awesome. The only thing I would change about them is the material. They are nickle with chrome plating. I am told this means I can't store them next to my other stainless steel tools. Other then that, they are fantastic. They cut the carpet cleanly and without any tearing of the plants. They are smooth and at 6" a perfect size for the detail work this tank demands. Here is a picture of them next to a regular pair of scissors for scale:

If anyone is in the market for a pair of curved scissors I highly recommend these.
KayakJimW likes this.

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-29-2020, 12:04 AM
Algae Grower

I'd suggest curved spring scissors
I have curved and s scissors but stopped using them in favor of spring scissors
Downside is your hand will get wet for sure but u get a lot more control. Since switching I haven't accidently pulled up on the carpet
ipkiss likes this.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-29-2020, 12:48 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
Just a tip for scissors in general...

Even the sharpest scissors in the world won't cut very well if the tension between the blades isn't good. If you are fortunate enough to have a pair with a screw holding them together, check it occasionally to see if it has either backed out a bit or if the blades have worn enough to leave slop between them. If you have a pair that seem reasonably sharp and you don't have a screw to tighten, you can carefully "adjust" them with a good hammer and punch. We use a lot of scissors at work and in addition to sharpening them, we also keep them adjusted one way or the other.
minorhero and Streetwise like this.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-29-2020, 01:29 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by minorhero View Post
I have a cheap pair of curved scissors and.... they are terrible.

So looking for the best pair of scissors for trimming a carpet. Curved or just small? Advice greatly appreciated folks.
I ordered a pair of tungsten coated curved aquascaping scissors from Amazon. About $ 26.00, but will last forever ! Had a cheapo pair that rusted out in a few months, so these are worth the money imho :-) Jardli is the brand name. Tried posting a link , but it didn't work ?

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-29-2020, 11:25 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hojae84 View Post
Downside is your hand will get wet for sure but u get a lot more control. Since switching I haven't accidently pulled up on the carpet
Do you have a link by any chance? I looked at spring scissors but didn't see any that looked particularly good. I am happy with the scissors I bought but you know... tools ;P

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deedledee View Post
I ordered a pair of tungsten coated curved aquascaping scissors from Amazon. About $ 26.00, but will last forever ! Had a cheapo pair that rusted out in a few months, so these are worth the money imho :-) Jardli is the brand name. Tried posting a link , but it didn't work ?
Jardli does make some good stuff I will have to see if I can find those.

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-29-2020, 01:40 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I have been slowly upgrading my tools to ADA. They are the best as a maintenance man for 40 years I learned to start with ok quality and move up to the best tools. As you send a lot of time working against the tools.

https://youtu.be/PtQwOkg3LB4
ipkiss likes this.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-29-2020, 10:14 PM
Algae Grower

[QUOTE=minorhero;11302463]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hojae84 View Post
Do you have a link by any chance? I looked at spring scissors but didn't see any that looked particularly good. I am happy with the scissors I bought but you know... tools 😜

Got it on Amazon. Search for IDS aquascaping spring scissors
Got the one that's a little curved
I mainly have nano tanks so this worked much better in terms of control in small tanks

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode