Cleaning intake/outake tubes... - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-27-2020, 01:24 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdWiser View Post
Yes I have used those just donít up long term. Been doing this hobby for 57 years.
I don't think any of these brushes are going to hold up for 57 years!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-27-2020, 10:47 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

That when you buy good ones.
The aquarium hobby is MY hobby.
When people that say golf and can spend 2000 dollars on one driver.
Why do people get twisted out of shape if someone wants to buy the best equipment for their hobby. After years of doing this I enjoy well made equipment and tools. I have used all the cheap equipment in the hobby. I go to national aquarium shows and talk to the companies and hold the equipment in my hands. I donít get free equipment I have be offered free equipment but I only equipment that doesnít waste my time.
fish+plants likes this.
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-27-2020, 08:02 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Why do people get twisted out of shape if someone wants to buy the best equipment for their hobby.
Twisted? No, however I do not waste money.

Example

Bio Pro Canister filter, these things are whisper quiet, $80

https://www.aquaholicsonline.com.au/...ph-non-uv~7048

Aqua One Aquis 1200 Canister Filter - $215 also whisper quiet

https://www.aquariumkingdom.com.au/a...er-filter-1200

I own both filters and in all honesty I cant see why the Aqua one unit is so expensive, The bio pro is 5 years old and going strong.

Just because its expensive and sold in a Aquarium shop dont mean its any better

post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-29-2020, 11:13 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeed222 View Post
Anybody have any tips on cleaning the insides of old plastic intake-outflow tubes? I've heard mentioned "long" wire brushes? I'm guessing they can be found at a hardware store, but these are some old tubes and I'm wondering if just getting new ones is more economical? I'm thinking the "cheap" route here.
Just about any brush that fits will work, as long as you first do an overnight presoak. Personally I like something like OxyClean or another oxygenated bleach product called Stain Solver. Start out with really hot water, dissolve the cleaner in it, drop in your tubes and cover. Next day much of it will already be clean, the rest can be brushed out.
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-18-2020, 09:35 PM
Algae Grower

Hi, did a search as I am trying to figure out how to clean the inside of the U-shape intake tube on an Aquaclear HOB. I have a flexible wire double end brush but it does not bend enough to clean the entire U portion. Does anyone have any tricks as to how to clean this? Can I use baking soda with white vinegar and rinse carefully? I have an assorted batch of cleaning brushes but nothing works.

Fish+Plants thanks you!!
Michigan
post #21 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-18-2020, 09:42 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I haven't tried baking soda and white vinegar but it may help to loosen the crud a bit. Hydrogen peroxide may also work.
fish+plants likes this.

Dee
Eheim Pimpette #270
Eheim Pro II 2028; Classics Series -2215, 2217, 2260, 2262; Pro 2229 Wet/Dry
post #22 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-18-2020, 09:44 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
What I do is when I take the intake tubes off when I first start cleaning a tank I put enough peroxide in the tube to cover the part I can't brush and sit it in a upside down position . In other words the end of the tubes pointing up . Then I go do glass cleaning , water change etc and when I get ready to put tubes back on I just rinse them good and force hot water through them and they usually come fairly clean and the peroxide kills algae in the tube too .
deeda and fish+plants like this.

My wife says if I get one more aquarium she is going to leave me . I sure am going to miss her fried chicken .
post #23 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-18-2020, 09:44 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish+plants View Post
Hi, did a search as I am trying to figure out how to clean the inside of the U-shape intake tube on an Aquaclear HOB. I have a flexible wire double end brush but it does not bend enough to clean the entire U portion. Does anyone have any tricks as to how to clean this? Can I use baking soda with white vinegar and rinse carefully? I have an assorted batch of cleaning brushes but nothing works.

I just cleaned my AC110 today. I didn't clean that specific part but I did the other tube parts (I have a right angle tube on the lower end with two sponge filters connected to it. I dropped them in a 4:1 solution of water and bleach, and let them sit for 30 minutes or so while I cleaned the filter elements. The algae inside the tubes literally flushed out with water from the faucet with minimal brushing. You might try a brush meant for smaller tubes and give a slight bend to make it around the corner better. That and the bleach/water soak would probably clear it out.
Of course you want to flush thoroughly with water after to get all the bleach out.
fish+plants likes this.
post #24 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-19-2020, 01:00 AM
Algae Grower

Great ideas, thank u all so much! I am actually anxious to clean filters now!
Leeatl likes this.

Fish+Plants thanks you!!
Michigan
post #25 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-19-2020, 03:31 AM
Algae Grower

time to clean my tube oso...
fish+plants likes this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode