RO Users - Which unit are you running? - The Planted Tank Forum
 30Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-20-2020, 07:41 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
RO Users - Which unit are you running?

I might be in the market for a new RO unit and was wondering which brands and models people are having success with.

It would likely be hooked up to a storage system with float valves for larger water changes. No drinking water faucet / drinking water setup needed. Strictly for fish tank usage.

Pics of your setup would be helpful too.

Thanks all,

Current picture of my wicked setup just for fun .

My 30g Journal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-20-2020, 09:31 PM
Planted Member

I have a GE unit I got from HD. I don’t like it. But I like my post RO system I made.

Far more elaborate systems on this site, but this was cheap and simple.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-20-2020, 09:55 PM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
I use a Spectra Pure Max Cap. Overkill for my production needs, but I love it and it makes water fast enough so that I'm never waiting until the next day for water.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-20-2020, 10:31 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (15/100%)
I use a Marine Depot 100GPD with DI resin.
Added an extra membrane in parallel to get to 200 GPD.
The extra speed filling Brute cans is nice!

Growing is not that difficult.

Last edited by Maryland Guppy; 01-20-2020 at 10:32 PM. Reason: Edit
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-20-2020, 10:36 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I use one from iSpring, and it's been great.

But here's the thing, I think they are all pretty much the same. Filters and an RO membrane in some combination. More stages, higher cost. More GPD, higher cost.

I never understand folks looking at ones from aquarium type websites. They are the exact same thing as any other RO system which are widely in use in homes.

The biggest thing to consider is how much water you need to make. Next is if your pressure is good enough, or might need a booster pump. Other than that I personally think once you install any one of them that will be the last time you give much thought to it. After that they all just produce RO water.

---
---
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-20-2020, 11:43 PM
A.K.A. Fishroom Bum

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quagulator View Post
I might be in the market for a new RO unit and was wondering which brands and models people are having success with.

It would likely be hooked up to a storage system with float valves for larger water changes. No drinking water faucet / drinking water setup needed. Strictly for fish tank usage.

Pics of your setup would be helpful too.

Thanks all,

Current picture of my wicked setup just for fun .

I am in a similar situation using the RO buddy, looking at the Spectra Max as a pragmatic, reliable, replacement in the near future, and if need be I can always augment the GPD with another membrane down the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Quagulator likes this.

Use a quarantine tank!
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-21-2020, 02:32 AM
Planted Member

I have the BRS 5-stage unit. I also added an XP Aqua RODI Flood Guardian because I am paranoid like that (paranoid of the float valve failing).

Blue Ridge Reef likes this.

My Tank Journal:
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-21-2020, 02:45 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (45/100%)
I also use bulk reef supply and the xp aqua flood guardian. Been happy
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-21-2020, 03:52 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Spectrapure 4 stage for me, like a lot of my stuff got it second hand from a reefer that upgraded.

Inline TDS meter, pressure gauge, auto shutoff valve, and flush valve are all useful. Membranes are the part you need to take note of, rejection rates will determine the tds of output water. 98% vs 99% and then GPD of the membrane and waste water. If you have low water pressure then a booster pump is required to get anywhere near the published GPD. I think BRS found 90 PSI is optimal for the correct performance. I have 78 PSI and don't use a booster pump.

For planted tanks were lucky and don't need 0 TDS, I don't run DI for that reason, with such large water changes the DI depletes quickly. If you do use DI replace it regularly, it can leach the weakest bonded ions back into the good water when stronger bonded ions replace them.

Know if your city uses chlorine or chloramine and use the correct carbon block setup to save your membrane.

Use auto shut offs, if you don't you will have wet floors at some point. BRS videos will teach you everything you will ever need to know about RO units and how to make them the most efficient.

post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-21-2020, 07:18 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendy8888 View Post
Spectrapure 4 stage for me, like a lot of my stuff got it second hand from a reefer that upgraded.

Inline TDS meter, pressure gauge, auto shutoff valve, and flush valve are all useful. Membranes are the part you need to take note of, rejection rates will determine the tds of output water. 98% vs 99% and then GPD of the membrane and waste water. If you have low water pressure then a booster pump is required to get anywhere near the published GPD. I think BRS found 90 PSI is optimal for the correct performance. I have 78 PSI and don't use a booster pump.

For planted tanks were lucky and don't need 0 TDS, I don't run DI for that reason, with such large water changes the DI depletes quickly. If you do use DI replace it regularly, it can leach the weakest bonded ions back into the good water when stronger bonded ions replace them.

Know if your city uses chlorine or chloramine and use the correct carbon block setup to save your membrane.

Use auto shut offs, if you don't you will have wet floors at some point. BRS videos will teach you everything you will ever need to know about RO units and how to make them the most efficient.
Yup. It's not about the name printed on the bracket. It's the filters and membrane(s) you get. The housings for the filters and membrane are pretty much all the same.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Quagulator likes this.

I may not know everything but I sure do act like it
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-21-2020, 07:44 AM
Algae Grower

RO Buddie from AquaticLife Super cheap and easy to setup
hbosman and Quagulator like this.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-21-2020, 03:27 PM
Algae Grower

BRS 150GPD 6 stage unit with pressure booster for me...very happy with it

BRS recently posted a 'Best 2019 RO/DI upgrades' video that may be worth a watch

Quagulator likes this.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-21-2020, 03:33 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Thanks all, Iíll have to digest this when I have access to my computer, sitting through work meetings all day.

Are you all running the DI resin as well? Or bypassing that?

Iíll watch those BRS videos and get an idea, I canít buy BRS as Iím not in the states so Iíll be looking at a household unit likely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My 30g Journal:

post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-21-2020, 03:36 PM
Planted Member

I’m not using DI. I also have a float valve and Flood Guardian behind it in case one fails the other will catch a mess.
Quagulator likes this.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-21-2020, 03:58 PM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
I am running DI, but only because I bought it for making reef tank water originally. I see no reason to bypass it since its already there, but probably wouldn't include DI if I was buying new.
Quagulator likes this.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode