• 1 Post By HairyNoseWombat
  • 1 Post By HairyNoseWombat
  • 1 Post By Desert Pupfish

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-19-2020, 10:14 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quietest filter for a 55g tank?

I'm moving my 55g tank into my bedroom, so want to replace the AquaClear HOB filter i've got with something quieter. I've pretty much ruled out another HOB because housings can rattle if anything's amiss, and they splash loudly when the water level drops from evaporation (live in the desert, so things evaporate fast)

Not sure I want the expense & hassle of a canister filter--unless someone can recommend one that's economical and easy to clean.

Would a simple sponge filter (or several) run off a powerhead be the quietest option? This will be a breeding tank for an angel pair, so it'll need gentle circulation, not a maelstrom.

Any & all suggestions appreciated!

Last edited by Desert Pupfish; 01-20-2020 at 04:13 AM. Reason: Edit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-19-2020, 11:33 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Pupfish View Post
I'm moving my 55g tank into my bedroom, so want to replace the AquaClear HOB filter i've got with something quieter. I've pretty much ruled out another HOB because housings can rattle if anything's amiss, and they splash loudly when the water level drops from evaporation (live in the desert, so things evaporate fast.

Not sure I want the expense & hassle of a canister filter--unless someone can recommend one that's economical and easy to clean.

Would a simple sponge filter (or several) run off a powerhead be the quietest option? This will be a breeding tank for an angel pair, so it'll need gentle circulation, not a maelstrom.

Pumps are loud in general for a sleeping area IMO, I've never had one in all my time of keeping aquariums that never made noise at some point. I have my impellers lubed up with some silicone grease and reapply it whenever they start getting noisy again.

I know the aquarium co-op basically runs anything they can off of sponge filters and Cory swears by them any chance he gets. If you aren't injecting Co2 into the water you could get away with just running one or two off of an air pump and not worry about the pumps.
Desert Pupfish likes this.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-20-2020, 01:19 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Pupfish View Post
I'm moving my 55g tank into my bedroom, so want to replace the AquaClear HOB filter i've got with something quieter. I've pretty much ruled out another HOB because housings can rattle if anything's amiss, and they splash loudly when the water level drops from evaporation (live in the desert, so things evaporate fast.

You can just stick a sponge on a powerhead and it will probably do what you want. I would be tempted to run a matten filter with a water pump given your description. Just put the return line below water level and you won't have any noise, especially if you use one of the DC variable speed pumps. Those things are silent.

I would not even think of running anything powered by air. The bubbles are very noisy. Air powered sponge filters are fantastic if you are running LOTS of tanks and want to do it cheaply and effectively. They are incredibly noisy however and frankly they don't look very good in my opinion.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-20-2020, 01:19 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Would a simple sponge filter (or several) run off a powerhead be the quietest option?
Depends on the powerhead, the cheaper ones can be noisy.

These are great, you cant hear them.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-20-2020, 02:40 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quesenek View Post
I know the aquarium co-op basically runs anything they can off of sponge filters and Cory swears by them any chance he gets. If you aren't injecting Co2 into the water you could get away with just running one or two off of an air pump and not worry about the pumps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by minorhero View Post
You can just stick a sponge on a powerhead and it will probably do what you want. I would be tempted to run a matten filter with a water pump given your description. Just put the return line below water level and you won't have any noise, especially if you use one of the DC variable speed pumps. Those things are silent.
Thanks both. Leaning towards doing a mattenfilter or sponge filter. Any recommendations on a reliable, quiet model?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HairyNoseWombat View Post
Depends on the powerhead, the cheaper ones can be noisy.

These are great, you cant hear them.
Thanks! Where are you? I'm only finding these on European websites. Do these come in larger sizes for a 55 gallon (≈220l) tank? Didn't see any online, but maybe I'm not looking in the right place?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-20-2020, 03:04 AM
Algae Grower

I got mine here. I run 2 of them on a 20 gallon tank

https://www.thetechden.com.au/Aquael...s_p/111605.htm

You might need something like this for a bigger tank
https://www.thetechden.com.au/Aquael...r_p/110106.htm
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-20-2020, 08:01 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Decided the stackable sponge filters from American Aquarium Products offered the most versatility, and as a bonus have lots of surface area for the guppy & angel fry in the tank. Here's the filter/pump combo I got: http://www.americanaquariumproducts....ilterkit3b.jpg

The combo kit includes a Hydro Sponge III filter, a Rio 600 powerhead, and a bonus bottle of Seachem Prime. I also got the Hydro Sponge III Pro filter to stack with it so I get two levels of filtration, and more surface area for shrimp & fry to feed on.

Will post when it arrives and I get it set up to let you know how it works out.
HairyNoseWombat likes this.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-20-2020, 08:50 AM
Algae Grower

Thats perfect

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode