• 3 Post By PlantedRich
  • 1 Post By knm<><
  • 1 Post By stevewb

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-19-2020, 02:42 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)
Complete Ultimate CO2 System

Anyone have any experience with this CO2 system? If so, what can you tell me about it? Thanks

COMPLETE ULTIMATE Co2 SYSTEM (best of the best)($600+ VALUE ! )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-19-2020, 04:06 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
I've not had any personal experience with these but be a aware of what they are. There is no needle valve. It's a single stage regulator that controls the flow of CO2 by quickly opening and closing an electronic solenoid each time it lets a bubble pass. If you add CO2 at 2 bubbles a second that's 57,600 tiimes per day. I've looked at these in the past and see a lot of complaints about ill mannered customer support in the reviews. It may be a great item and I certainly don't understand the electronic solenoid, but for these reasons I steered clear and stayed with a conventional system. YMMV
Blue Ridge Reef and mgeorges like this.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-19-2020, 04:21 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
No hands on experience due to looking at the parts before purchase and finding them lacking plus way o9ver priced for value.
Looking at each part first? The reg body is not a high value item as it is a simple single stage reg. That means it can be replaced with a better quality reg from a home brew place for about $60. It does have the advantage of having the fittings screwed together already but many do not consider that a great deal of challenge.
One of the main points in favor is also one of the faults! The CO2 is controlled by the "carbon doser" which should require some Google searching for reviews. It acts to control CO2 flow by opening closing the flow as the probe calls for by monitoring the PH. Very much like having a Milwaukee PH controller do it. Except that the relay clicking in the Carbon Doser can drive folks crazy! I read that many do not want it in the same room where they sit.
One of the aspects that drive me away is that it is an item which is "all-in-one" which means one small fault, makes the whole unusable. Which has lots of potential to blow the whole purchase if one part fails and those are very suspect parts in this case. The doser has to have a solenoid to open/close flow and it is not likely to be great quality as well as the relay contacts which click are suspect. Old saying in industry, is that if it clicks it sticks! Electrical contacts which carry current like the old points on car ignition tend to arc as they open/close and that arc tends to weld them together.
So, I've bummed the whole thought with lots of noise and not much help?
My preference/alternate thought would be to go one of two ways, depending on personal situation. If you are a DIY person, buying a single stage reg for $60-70 or a dual stage for somewhere less than $100 if shopped well, and adding the parts, will let you in for less money and far better performance if a controller is added to the most commonly used setups. Another alternate if not DIY is to get a basic setup like a Milwaukee reg, needle valve and solenoid, tie it to a controller and be in for less money. This will give you the option to upgrade any of the small parts which tend to gradually become more irritating as we get more into the CO2 and get more "fussy" about how it works for us.
Considered this option when shopping parts and how to go?
https://www.diyco2regulator.com/co2-...post-body-kits
No totally wrong answers, nor any totally right answers, so consider this simply my opinion which is certain not to fit all users!
First step of the shopping process is often getting to know what each item does for us so that we look at CO2 as a set of parts, rather than a single item.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-19-2020, 11:28 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)
Thanks for the input, I think I’ll head the conventional route after reading up on all the individual pieces as PlantedRich suggested. I do love a good DIY, I’m a woodworker in my spare time. Thanks again!
stevewb likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

75g “Skull Island” | 5g Top Fin Engage | 3 gal vase

Zoo Med Small Tall Vivarium
Fraternity of Dirt #168
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-19-2020, 11:44 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
If you can build a decent book shelf, a reg setup should not be a big issue---once you make the decisions on which parts!
There really are lots and lots of different ways to go and wh9ich part we find looking right will dictate what the next part may be. It can get much more fussy on choosing as there are so many different sizes/types of the really simple things.
But it is much like working wood as we have to decide what we want before cutting! But one advantage of DIY on this is better than woodworking. If we decide later that we don't like the small part in the middle of the project, it doesn't take nearly as much to take out that " board" and get a better one!
I go cheap on the reg body and then look to better items for the needle valve and small parts where precision helps more. A controller is very much a "deluxe" item but it sure does ease the rest of things, so I like it.
Lots of folks here who have built a number of setups and each has a method they like, Lots of info but that also makes for lots of questions on what we might want and they is still an unknown until we try it for a while.
Good luck and don't feel shy about asking questions as that is what a forum like this is built to do?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-20-2020, 01:37 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Highly recommend the diy route. But there’s also usually people selling extremely nice stuff for less than that
DigityDog70 likes this.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-21-2020, 09:31 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by knm<>< View Post
Anyone have any experience with this CO2 system? If so, what can you tell me about it? Thanks

COMPLETE ULTIMATE Co2 SYSTEM (best of the best)($600+ VALUE ! )
It's a Clippard mouse solenoid controlled by a 555 timing chip so you can adj. period and dwell AFAICT..
local manuf makes one similar for less. IF you want to build one (ADD REGULATOR OF CHOICE)
http://www.aqualund.net/?page_id=296
note: Don't believe it's realy a "2 stage" regulator.. but ??
I've conversed via email a few times.. seems legit but never did ask him about the regulator thing. Had my own.No, neve went this rout so just consider this a FYI on possibilities..
Theatrus built some boards emulating it as well but can't find the thread at a reefer site atm.
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/co...eactor.529800/

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/co...eactor.529800/

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure."

Last edited by jeffkrol; 01-21-2020 at 10:44 PM. Reason: edit
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-21-2020, 09:45 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
I'd do yourself a favor and avoid that business as a whole! Either buy from reputable vendors (I like my GLA regs that I've had for years) or go the DIY route. Sounds like you're leaning DIY, but I just wanted to throw in my two cents about steering well clear of them...not good news.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode