Post body kit for large tank? - The Planted Tank Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-15-2020, 03:59 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Post body kit for large tank?

Hello Everyone ~

I'm putting together a decent regulator set up for a 100ga tank. From my research here, it looks like a bubble counter will be all but useless for my needs. So I'm looking for suggestions on what I should round up for the "post body kit" section of the build.

A Concoa 312 dual stage high purity regulator (100psi max output/4 port/SS diaphragm) is on the way from the Evilbay (needs a CGA 320 input but spotless, tested & from 100% seller. $60 shipped seemed worth the risk). I'll be building a dual-input/output DIY reactor so I can run both canisters thru it for full dispersion in tank (without having to add cluttter w/ a powerhead/s)

I'd like a relatively "set it & forget it" set up when done dialing it in. System will be on a timer/synched w/ lights. (still debating a controller/etc). Cost isn't a big issue, but I probably don't really need state of the art for my setup.

Should I just get a post body kit from the DIY site, or is it worthwhile to piece together my own? My mechanical aptitude is pretty high, so not worried about assembly, etc.

Does anybody have a suggestion for a flowmeter, or somesuch that would be able to gauge the CO2 output?

I tried looking for "power sellers" for the purchase, but only seemed to find whole setups. I'd rather support the community, so if anybody wants the business, please speak up!

If it matters, the tank in question is both medium light and medium densely planted. Slow growers for now (except for aponogetons/swords), but I plan on some faster stem plants.

Thanks for any help!

Last edited by Beachcruiser; 01-15-2020 at 04:06 PM. Reason: Added PSI rating
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-15-2020, 07:06 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (87/98%)
wait, I will show you some.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Canon Pimp Club #17
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-15-2020, 07:31 PM
Wannabe Guru

https://www.diyco2regulator.com/

Pretty common supplier. I have no idea as to the background of the seller but having recently purchased their post body kit I can say that this is clearly someones home business as opposed to a giant corporation if that is what you are looking for.

I priced out the parts from diyco2regulator a while back. What I found was that they were either the same cost or slightly more expensive then buying them individually from various sources. However, when taking into account shipping from all the different sources diyco2regulator came in cheaper overall.

Hopefully that is helpful.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-15-2020, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by minorhero View Post
https://www.diyco2regulator.com/

Pretty common supplier. I have no idea as to the background of the seller but having recently purchased their post body kit I can say that this is clearly someones home business as opposed to a giant corporation if that is what you are looking for.

I priced out the parts from diyco2regulator a while back. What I found was that they were either the same cost or slightly more expensive then buying them individually from various sources. However, when taking into account shipping from all the different sources diyco2regulator came in cheaper overall.

Hopefully that is helpful.
Thanks! That's the outfit I was referencing in my OP. Their gear seems middle of the road, from what I see here. Which is probably fine for my needs.

I'm still clueless about a flowmeter that appropriate for a large tank, tho.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-15-2020, 09:17 PM
Planted Tank Guru

check the new metering valve selection thread, and start hunting....

Canon Pimp Club #17
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 02:30 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettatail View Post
check the new metering valve selection thread, and start hunting....
Oh yeah.....I've been all over that one.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 05:05 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachcruiser View Post
Oh yeah.....I've been all over that one.
Dakota/Aalborg metering valves are about $100 new..

https://www.dakotainstruments.com/da...e-flow-pattern
Saves time and a lot of futzing..not $'s obviously.

W/ $'s not a huge option beats out a Fabco at like $40

Want tubes (more expensive support parts) to make it prettier or pipe threads?

want brass or ss?
eeek bay is good.. "occasionally" going deeper pays off.. occasionally:
https://www.radwell.com/Buy/HOKE/HOKE/1335G4B

Quote:
1/4" tube brass straight 1 degree needle CV 0.010
$64.31

Tested, Cleaned and Overhauled W/ 2 Year Warranty

Same but angle pattern.. slightly more $'s
https://www.radwell.com/en-US/Buy/HOKE/HOKE/1345G2B

ss
https://www.radwell.com/en-US/Buy/HOKE/HOKE/1345G4Y

Why these in part.? Hokes just easier to parse the numbering system for me.
http://www.hoke.com/Catalogs/Catalog...es_07.2012.pdf

Radwell just because it was there as an example.
Generally just a wee bit more expensive than evil bay unless you are lucky..depending on model.

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure."
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 05:12 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Some depends on budget versus time in your world! You CAN save some money buying individual parts--if lucky and a certain amount of skill in shopping. I have built all my setups from parts but it is also true that my time is almost meaningless on value. Technically, I have retired several times and my time is now on a "as needed and feel like it" deal. I work when it interests me?
But as an interest, getting the parts together is "entertaining" at best, as there are literally hundreds of different options to take and each option has to be fully understood to avoid the mistake of buying a totally unusable item. Shipping is the main bite that is a worry. I live in an area and know folks who deal in used automation, so that makes it possible for me to drive around local and pick up much of the parts, but that only works after lots of study on what each part does in relation to the other parts. You can buy the correct Clippard solenoid on E-bay but there are a limited number which will work and dozens which can't be used. One single bad buy can shoot down the total saved!
For many, who do value time highly, DIY CO2 is a great place. I do not know them but did swap a few e-mails from a forum users just before there site cam online and I did suggest it would be a good place to make a few bucks on the side. I might assume ( dangerous?) that is the person who became the seller.
I like the Fabco NV-55 or NV-55-18 metering valve as "good enough" without going into lots of stuff I don't find I need. Both the same internals but the -18 has 1/8 inch openings for solid plumbing which the -55 does not.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 06:17 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Nice!

Thanks for all the help/links, Gang.

I think I'll use the DIY site for the connector bits/CGA 320 fitting and piece together the rest myself.

Currently leaning toward the Burkert 6011 (24V) solenoid and a Dwyer RMA 150 SSV (0-100 cc/min) Flow meter.

Do still I need a precision needle valve before the flow meter?
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 06:25 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Nice!

Thanks for all the help/links, Gang.

I think I'll use the DIY site for the connector bits/CGA 320 fitting and piece together the rest myself.

Currently leaning toward the Burkert 6011 (24V) solenoid and a Dwyer RMA 150 SSV (0-100 cc/min) Flow meter.

Do still I need a precision needle valve before the flow meter?

Some flowmeters come w/ one some don't'

Dwyer is rumored to use Fabcos on their flowmeter..so no, if there is one.
https://www.dwyer-inst.com/Product/F...eArea/SeriesRM

Aalborg/Cole-Parmer ect use Aalborg/Dakotas but recommend a "1" or "2" valve. Floaty ball matters too..
Tried to find you a "good" one of the above at a good price.. No luck...

Clippard/Burkert/SMC/Ansco/numismatic small solenoids are all about equiv. Well the equiv models are.

Clippard mouse is the de-facto "cool" solenoid..

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure."
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 07:07 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkrol View Post
Some flowmeters come w/ one some don't'

Dwyer is rumored to use Fabcos on their flowmeter..so no, if there is one.
https://www.dwyer-inst.com/Product/F...eArea/SeriesRM

Aalborg/Cole-Parmer ect use Aalborg/Dakotas but recommend a "1" or "2" valve. Floaty ball matters too..
Tried to find you a "good" one of the above at a good price.. No luck...

Clippard/Burkert/SMC/Ansco/numismatic small solenoids are all about equiv. Well the equiv models are.

Clippard mouse is the de-facto "cool" solenoid..
Hmm, then I'll probably just get the solenoid from DIY also. Looks like the Dwyer does have a needle valve in that model. "NOS, in box" for a great price.

Last edited by Beachcruiser; 01-16-2020 at 07:47 PM. Reason: Found check valve
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 07:54 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Quote:
Looks like the Dwyer does have a needle valve in that model.
With the Dwyers, the last set of the model # will tell you. If it ends in SSV that means Stainless Steel valve, if it ends in BV, that's for Brass Valve, no letters = no valve

92% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 08:57 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayakJimW View Post
With the Dwyers, the last set of the model # will tell you. If it ends in SSV that means Stainless Steel valve, if it ends in BV, that's for Brass Valve, no letters = no valve
SSV for the win!

Thanks, Jim.
KayakJimW likes this.
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 09:01 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Evilbay have a lot of flowmeters, new or used, don't limit yourself to any particular brand.
but two things must consider before you click the buy button,

1. the valve, is it a precision flow control model(MFV 1,2,3; HA1,2,3; or B 1, 2, 3)? or the low float normal needle valve model(7, L)
2. The glass float tube, is it the right model to monitor down to 10 sccm with the correct floating ball?
3. price

if 1 satisfy, you still can control co2 flow rate but float tube may be useless, you may need to add a bubble counter.
if 2 satisfy, you will have hard time to adjust the flow rate or hold it steady but will know how much co2 goes into the fish tank, and a flow rate that is desired.
if 1, 2, 3 all satisfy, BUY IT.

(our normal co2 injection rate is at 15 sccm--base on 5lb co2 tank 6 month 8 hours day calculation)

Dwyer flowmeter with low flow capacity is rare, you will have better luck with Brooks/Omega, Matheson, aalborg/cole palmer.

Canon Pimp Club #17
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 10:46 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Because Dwyer low flow meter are hard to find, so I look into it for a while, this is what I found, for your large tank:

evilbay item number:

10-100sccm air, make sure convert it co2, I think the factor at atmosphere volume is 0.85(not sure, need to check again), means scale reading X 0.85, is the actual co2 flow rate.

Canon Pimp Club #17

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode