• 1 Post By Nautilus29
  • 4 Post By Bandit1200
  • 2 Post By burr740

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-13-2019, 09:31 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
CO2 refil Question

Just had my bottle filled and hooked up the regulator and my left guage is off the scale

Surprised it didn't pop the guage wasnt expecting to see that is it normal as first time I've had a bottle re-filled when both bottles where new Ista 2L bottles they did not read that high

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-15-2019, 08:03 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty.h View Post
Just had my bottle filled and hooked up the regulator and my left guage is off the scale

Surprised it didn't pop the guage wasnt expecting to see that is it normal as first time I've had a bottle re-filled when both bottles where new Ista 2L bottles they did not read that high

A filled bottle should be between 800- 1000 psi depending on temperature.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-15-2019, 09:13 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

As you can see a tad over

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-15-2019, 09:19 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty.h View Post
As you can see a tad over

😂 I'm glad you posted again so we know your ok.

I do wonder if that pressure is even possible with liquid co2?
Squisher likes this.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-15-2019, 03:28 PM
Algae Grower

I would take that bottle back. Maybe put it in a fridge/freezer until then. I believe you have a dangerous situation there if your gauge is indeed past maxed out. Possibly you could try just 'blowing' some off outdoors. This will cool the bottle and get rid of the extra? I'm no expert in compressed gases but it would seem your bottle is overfilled by a good amount. Some copy pasta:

How much liquid is in a "full" tank? Why not fill it up?

A "full" tank contains about 34% liquid CO2. If it is filled any more, the CO2 will become very sensitive to temperature changes, with a small increase in temperature causing a large increase in pressure. This is a dangerous situation which is avoided by only partially filling the CO2 bottle.

One cubic inch of water weighs 0.577 oz and the specific gravity of liquid CO2 is 1.977 gm/cc so one ounce of liquid CO2 has a volume of 0.877 cubic inches. CO2 bottles generally have a full-fill to volume ratio of about 2.57 cubic inches per ounce of CO2, so that one ounce of CO2 will take up 0.877/2.57 = 34% of the total volume of the bottle.

The figure of 68% is often quoted as the volume of liquid in a full bottle, but this error probably stems from translating "ounce" into volume using water as the standard. Water is 1.00 gm/cc, or about half the density of liquid CO2 so that if a CO2 bottle is filled to its rated capacity with water, it will be 68% liquid by volume.

What's the burst pressure?

CO2 bottles contain copper "burst disks" which will blow out above a certain pressure and release the contents of the bottle into the air in a relatively safe manner. The blowout pressure of burst discs vary with manufacturer but the minimum value is about 2200 psi and the maximum value is about 2800 psi.

45g fluval bowfront tank, plant 2.0 light, 206 canister and ac30 hob filters, 5lb co2 art pro se
10g quarantine tank

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-15-2019, 08:52 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
You could weigh it and see how much it weighs. It could be a faulty gauge.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-15-2019, 09:06 PM
Algae Grower

True. There should be a tare weight or 'TW' on the tank. This is the empty weight of the tank. So actual weight minus tank(TW) weight will equal what you've actually got in there.

45g fluval bowfront tank, plant 2.0 light, 206 canister and ac30 hob filters, 5lb co2 art pro se
10g quarantine tank

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-16-2019, 01:24 AM
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (123/100%)
Probably the gauge/regulator. The tank has a safety relief valve that probably would've blown by now if that reading is accurate.

But as mentioned above weighing the tank will tell you for certain
mgeorges and Grobbins48 like this.

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-16-2019, 02:34 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Funny.. get to post this twice in a short time..

IMPORTANT STATS:

00597 2L 48 oz. 4.17 lbs EMPTY (approx) 3 lbs (48 oz.)CO2 weight 6.67 lbs. or 106.72 oz.APPROX total weight

If overfilled (or whatever it is now) recommend bleeding it down to 6.67 lbs..

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure."
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-16-2019, 09:31 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I think you blew out your high-pressure gauge. I used to have an old Blue Line regulator and the instructions had this stern warning:

3. Before opening the cylinder valve, turn the regulator adjustment knob ( E ) counter-clockwise until tension is no longer felt on the knob. DO NOT FULLY REMOVE THE KNOB. IF THE
CYLINDER VALVE IS OPENED WITH THE REGULATOR KNOB TURNED IN, DAMAGE TO THE REGULATOR CAN RESULT !
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-19-2019, 01:41 AM

Marty I don't see that you responded as to resolving this. You have one of three issues that can generate that high of pressure rating on your CO2 cylinder:
1. The gauge is inaccurate.
2. The filler filled your cylinder with something other than CO2...
3. The filler overfilled your cylinder. If you are going to a reputable supplier this is not likely, but in the event that it is, your cylinder is extremely dangerous. I can't see the cylinder valve, but its supposed to have a rupture disc on it to prevent bursting the cylinder but you don't won't to rely on that and they are set 5/3rd of the cylinder service pressure...5/3*2018=3360psig...if your gauge is "accurate" you are very close to blowing that rupture disc.

I strongly suggest you take that cylinder out side, keeping the rupture disc pointing away from you and remove the regulator and open the valve and vent down that cylinder. You don't want that in your car taking it back to the filler with the potential for the rupture disc to open. The sound will damage your hearing, and the gas will create an asphyxiating atmosphere.
regards and good luck
tc
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-21-2019, 01:26 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
No need to panic as that reading is most likely just an indication that the gauge is wrong! don't worry the sound of CO2 blowing off or getting gassed. If it does blow off, try to let the cat know first but you will hear far worse noise at any concert and the normal thinking person will go outside long before he gets gassed!
I would bet about 75/25 that the gauge is broken and it is not uncommon for new users to open the valve and settings in the wrong order.
Not knowing the history leaves me guessing but it appears the left and right gauge are both low pressure and they do not match. Is it possible the left has been changed at some point and simply the wrong type? On another point, if the left gauge is tank pressure and right the output, I would want to get the output down a whole bunch as 80 PSI is going to be way high for most any use we have and it tends to blow tubing.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Fisher View Post
I think you blew out your high-pressure gauge. I used to have an old Blue Line regulator and the instructions had this stern warning:

3. Before opening the cylinder valve, turn the regulator adjustment knob ( E ) counter-clockwise until tension is no longer felt on the knob. DO NOT FULLY REMOVE THE KNOB. IF THE
CYLINDER VALVE IS OPENED WITH THE REGULATOR KNOB TURNED IN, DAMAGE TO THE REGULATOR CAN RESULT !
This is correct to avoid ruining the output/ low pressure gauge as it tends to let a micro burst of high pressure hit the low gauge but in this case it looks like the high pressure reading is wrong.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-21-2019, 06:41 AM
Algae Grower

The left gauge in the picture goes to 2100psi and the right to 150 psi so the left is definetly not a low pressure gauge. And is it not the low pressure gauge that people commonly blowout when opening newly filled tanks? The high pressure gauge shouldn't blow out as it's designed to read/take the full pressure of co2 is it not? There is no turning down/adjusting the flow to the high pressure gauge is there?

10g quarantine tank

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode