Skimmer for Aquaclear filters? - The Planted Tank Forum
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-13-2019, 04:20 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Red face Skimmer for Aquaclear filters?

Hi all, I have a 10 gallon that I'm putting together right now and I would like to switch to an Aquaclear filter and I would like to add a skimmer attachment if possible. I would like the smallest option available so I can keep equipment to a minimum foot print in the tank. I have another 10 that is high tech that I've been using to learn with and I would like this tank to look good lol. Any help or links would be grat!. Thanks Sloby
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-13-2019, 05:36 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Do people actually use protein skimmers in freshwater aquaria? Seems like it wouldn't work (foam) unless you had very hard water.

In a ten gallon aquarium an air-stone would be all you would need to agitate the top of the water enough for this film to go into the filter.

post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-13-2019, 05:52 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the reply. What i'm looking for is more like a skimmer cup so I don't have to use an air stone. I would like to leave the lid off of the tank and with an air stone in that small of a tank it splashes out. Something like this perhaps, but the less intrusive the better.

https://www.amazon.com/inTank-AquaCl...ct_top?ie=UTF8

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-13-2019, 05:59 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
You may have better luck asking on a reef-keeping forum. I dont think many ( if anyone) uses skimmers on their freshwater tanks.

post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-13-2019, 09:28 PM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
I think OP is just referring to a surface skimmer (which still aren't popular in non-sump tanks), not a protein skimmer. Too many words in our hobby can mean different things!

@SLOBY, I'm sure by now someone out there is at least 3D printing these, but in my only trial of using a surface skimmer on a HOB it was too problematic. If the water level dropped, water stopped getting to the filter -and after each top-off the skimmer was so below the surface that it no longer skimmed. I think you'd need to have an auto top off system (or sump) to have something like that be plug and play. The tank fill level has to be very consistent or you'll be constantly adjusting it. It's a long shot, but I have a fish room full of equipment and that skimmer should be in there somewhere. I can't remember the last time I laid eyes on it but if I run across it, I'll mail it to you.
Discusluv likes this.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-13-2019, 11:00 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I'm pretty sure there's a reef supplier who makes skimmers for AquaClear filters, although I don't know what the smallest they do is. Check out inTank aquatics!
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-13-2019, 11:12 PM
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (123/100%)
That black box type is probably your only option for a small Aquaclear.

Eheim skim 350 is a stand alone skimmer thats really popular, might be too strong for a 10, idk never used it

Seachem Tidal HOB filters have a built in skimmer, might wanna go that route instead of AQ. They only came out last year I think.

Big fan of surface skimmers. In addition to keeping the surface clear they raise O2 levels. I run them on all my big tanks via SunSun canisters w/built in skimmers. Its the main reason I use SunSuns
Blue Ridge Reef and Discusluv like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by burr740; 12-13-2019 at 11:32 PM. Reason: .
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-13-2019, 11:13 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

This is pretty clever: https://oceanboxdesigns.com/product/...rface-skimmer/

Looks pretty simple could probably create your own with a little effort or see if you can find something similar or just buy this one. Probably can go smaller then the AC70 without issue.
Blue Ridge Reef likes this.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-13-2019, 11:53 PM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by burr740 View Post

Big fan of surface skimmers. In addition to keeping the surface clear they raise O2 levels. I run them on all my big tanks via SunSun canisters w/built in skimmers
Would love to pick your brain about those and how you deal with varying water levels. Also pretty sure I've seen shrimp in your tank photos, so how you keep those out too!

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-14-2019, 02:36 AM
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (123/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ridge Reef View Post
Would love to pick your brain about those and how you deal with varying water levels. Also pretty sure I've seen shrimp in your tank photos, so how you keep those out too!
On the SunSun filters, the skimmer Tees off from the main intake pipe. The skimmer itself has a bigger pipe that slides up and down over a smaller dia pipe. The bigger piece floats so it moves with the water level. The water level doesnt affect it (unless the tank gets several inches low).

Here's a pic. The skimmer assembly is between the bubble counter and the ouflow pipe

To my knowledge Ive never lost a shrimp in one. It may have happened occasionally but its not really an issue

post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-14-2019, 03:10 AM
Wannabe Guru

I run those SunSun intake/skimmers and they are fantastic. Keep the surface nice and clear, and rarely if ever have an issue with sucking air (unless I am down on water below the adjustable skimmers bottom).

|

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-14-2019, 03:49 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

One day all freshwater tanks will move to using sumps You get your surface skim plus all the aeration of the water moving to and from the sump.

post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-14-2019, 04:13 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
For what it’s worth, on my wife’s 10 gallon aquarium the Aquaclear keeps the water surface clear due the cascading effect of the outflow as it enters the tank, it mixes the organics into the water column which get picked up and filtered by both the HOB and canister
filters.

If you have canisters only, then an Eheim 350 or skimmer arrangement works well. My 55G has an siphon overflow/skimmer sump arrangement which I like, especially for water level control in the tank and for skimming.

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-16-2019, 05:22 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks all for your ideas! Thanks Burr for the Seachem Tidal HOB suggestion. I might go that route as it looks like take care of my needs. I liked the Aqua clear because I've used them in the past and like the filter compartment. I found several options over the weekend that I'm considering and if anyone has any thoughts they would certainly be welcomed. Again the goal is to have the least amount of equipment in the tanks as possible. I would canister or sump but in this location it's not feasible. Here is some of what I have found below....

https://www.saltwaterfish.com/produc...0aArhaEALw_wcB

https://www.amazon.com/Fluval-A240-S...ZNP0JFMG9D69DY

https://www.amazon.com/Odyssea-Clean...ZNP0JFMG9D69DY

https://www.amazon.com/Marine-Color-...ZNP0JFMG9D69DY
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-16-2019, 05:28 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLOBY View Post
Thanks all for your ideas! Thanks Burr for the Seachem Tidal HOB suggestion. I might go that route as it looks like take care of my needs. I liked the Aqua clear because I've used them in the past and like the filter compartment. I found several options over the weekend that I'm considering and if anyone has any thoughts they would certainly be welcomed. Again the goal is to have the least amount of equipment in the tanks as possible. I would canister or sump but in this location it's not feasible. Here is some of what I have found below....

https://www.saltwaterfish.com/produc...0aArhaEALw_wcB

https://www.amazon.com/Fluval-A240-S...ZNP0JFMG9D69DY

https://www.amazon.com/Odyssea-Clean...ZNP0JFMG9D69DY

https://www.amazon.com/Marine-Color-...ZNP0JFMG9D69DY
I like the Fluval skimmer design providing it is the appropriate diameter to attach to AquaClear lift tubes.

|

Tags
skimmer

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode