Issue with CO2 Art regulator... please HELP!! - The Planted Tank Forum
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-13-2019, 03:30 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Issue with CO2 Art regulator... please HELP!!

Okay, so I purchased a CO2 Art regular back in July due to the rave reviews. Mind you this is my first time with a CO2 setup. But I have a 75g and I run the CO2 at 4 bubbles per second at around 30psi. My first question is how long should a 5lbs CO2 tank last at this?

Now 2 months ago I noticed that the CO2 was dropping a lot faster than normal. On the gauge it was dropping maybe 1-2 notches a week. Iíve sprayed the crap out of it and the CO2 tank with soapy water and canít find any source of a leak. I installed a permaseal on the tank and that hasnít helped. Just recently I also bought an inline diffuser from CO2 Art which when I installed I noticed hissing. Someone on a forum told me that was normal as it is just the CO2 diffusing through the ceramic. So of course I email support about all my issues and Iíve been going back and forth with them for over a month now doing SEVERAL steps and they are convinced itís not my regulator, but that itís the diffuser. So now they are sending me a new ceramic piece to stop the hissing cuz they think itís not normal. The few people I did talk to said it sounds like the regulator has a slow leak somewhere, but I canít seem to convince CO2 Art of that.

So my next question is does anybody out there have these products and had similar issues? To me it seems like they are being difficult with sending me a replacement regulator. What am I to do?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-13-2019, 03:47 PM
Algae Grower

I'll be interested to hear some of the responses you get. I'll be setting up a pro se co2 art over the holidays(already have it it's just a 'gift' for Christmas so have to wait). I will be running it with their inline diffuser too. And while I obviously have no experience with this setup yet I have used compressed gases plenty for metal work. Ime a leaky fitting or regulator has always shown itself with soapy water so maybe revisit that if you get no other suggestions. If gas is escaping it's gonna make bubbles.

Could I ask how long you were and are now currently getting out of a 5lb bottle at 4bps?
ricktfoster likes this.

45g fluval bowfront tank, plant 2.0 light, 206 canister and ac30 hob filters, 5lb co2 art pro se
10g quarantine tank

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-13-2019, 03:50 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squisher View Post
I'll be interested to hear some of the responses you get. I'll be setting up a pro se co2 art over the holidays(already have it it's just a 'gift' for Christmas so have to wait). I will be running it with their inline diffuser too. And while I obviously have no experience with this setup yet I have used compressed gases plenty for metal work. Ime a leaky fitting or regulator has always shown itself with soapy water so maybe revisit that if you get no other suggestions. If gas is escaping it's gonna make bubbles.

Could I ask how long you were and are now currently getting out of a 5lb bottle at 4bps?

I first filled the tank in late July. Always have ran it at 3-4 bubbles per second. It seemed very steady for the first few months and the notch barely moved at all. Then suddenly it started to drop a lot faster for no reason. The tank is almost empty now, so I havenít had to refill it yet.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-13-2019, 03:53 PM
Algae Grower

I have read that co2 shows full and moves very slowly off of full until it gets towards the end where it will drop(on the gauge) more rapidly. Hopefully an experienced user can confirm this. So possibly it's normal what you've experienced?
ricktfoster likes this.

45g fluval bowfront tank, plant 2.0 light, 206 canister and ac30 hob filters, 5lb co2 art pro se
10g quarantine tank

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-13-2019, 03:58 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Issue with CO2 Art regulator... please HELP!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squisher View Post
I have read that co2 shows full and moves very slowly off of full until it gets towards the end where it will drop(on the gauge) more rapidly. Hopefully an experienced user can confirm this. So possibly it's normal what you've experienced?

I suppose this is definitely possible! And I have thought about that. Maybe someone can answer this for me. Though I would think if CO2 Art would have answered this...

Squisher likes this.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-13-2019, 04:02 PM
Algae Grower

Yes seems like something they would know or pick up on. I'm sure someone will come along to set us straight soon enough. Sorry I'm not more help, was really just curious about the issue and the life expectancy of a five lb bottle as that's what I have too. But I'll be only running it on a 45g so seems I can expect a good long service interval out of a bottle though.

10g quarantine tank

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-13-2019, 04:52 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricktfoster View Post
I suppose this is definitely possible! And I have thought about that. Maybe someone can answer this for me. Though I would think if CO2 Art would have answered this...

CO2 is put in the tank in liquid form.
As you remove gas more goes from liquid to gas.
Keeps pressure relatively constant though gauge will vary by tank temperature ..a bit..

When all the liquid is gone (converted to gas) as you remove that the gauge will FINALLY start to drop.
Faster you remove the last bit, faster the gauge drops..
ricktfoster and Squisher like this.

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure."
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-13-2019, 05:16 PM
Algae Grower

Can confirm this behavior. I also have a C02 Art regulator. When it starts creeping towards the red zone keep and eye on it the tank will soon need to be changed. Perfectly normal.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-13-2019, 06:31 PM
Algae Grower

I have a CO2 Art regulator and inline diffused. I've not had any issues yet.

3 planted nano community fish tanks.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-13-2019, 07:05 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I am also in airguns such as pcp's which have gauges. The pressure remains pretty constant and then suddenly drops right at the end. The gauges don't really show well how full a tank is.
The best and only true way to measure how much is left is to weigh the tank empty and then full tank so you can get the differential. In aquariums end of tank dump occurs and can be deadly for aquariums. NEVER wait until it's almost empty , refill when you see gauge start to drop or sooner (than later) to avoid it.

Newest Tank
16G Aquastar High Tech
Milwaukee Co2 and PH controller
Co2 Art inline difuser
36 Watts Nicrew Led Mod.
Seachem Onyx sand
Botia Kubotai and dwarf rainbows
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-13-2019, 09:09 PM
Wannabe Guru

I have a Co2Art regulator and it has only given me one issue, which I don't see as their fault...as in my co2 tank was full but I had zero working pressure. I had to remove a large screw from the back of the regulator and clean out the inside of the regulator by physically blowing air through it. Then it returned to perfect functionality.

It does sound to me like you have a slow leak somewhere, soapy water should have picked up on it though...if it's extremely slow, it might take some real patience of sitting there and staring at the soapy water.

I hope this helps and keep us posted.
ricktfoster likes this.

|
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-14-2019, 11:00 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkrol View Post
CO2 is put in the tank in liquid form.
As you remove gas more goes from liquid to gas.
Keeps pressure relatively constant though gauge will vary by tank temperature ..a bit..

When all the liquid is gone (converted to gas) as you remove that the gauge will FINALLY start to drop.
Faster you remove the last bit, faster the gauge drops..

Thank you for the response and explain this to me. This makes more sense as to why Iím experiencing this. I did go to get it refilled today. But one question is isnít the PSI gauge supposed to read around 1000 when full?
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3030.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	208.1 KB
ID:	890741

post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-15-2019, 12:06 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Thank you for the response and explain this to me. This makes more sense as to why I’m experiencing this. I did go to get it refilled today. But one question is isn’t the PSI gauge supposed to read around 1000 when full?
Attachment 890741

Depends on the temp................

Color coded:
http://i378.photobucket.com/albums/o...ortant/co2.jpg

Keep in mind that when just filled tank is quite cold..
Squisher likes this.

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure."
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-15-2019, 12:17 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Thank you for the response and explain this to me. This makes more sense as to why Iím experiencing this. I did go to get it refilled today. But one question is isnít the PSI gauge supposed to read around 1000 when full?
Attachment 890741

This could be temperature related OR you indeed have a small leak somewhere.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
ricktfoster likes this.

|
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-17-2019, 04:14 AM
Wannabe Guru

Any update on this?

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

|

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode