• 1 Post By RLee
  • 1 Post By jeffkrol

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-11-2019, 02:56 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
A Tank Dump Of A Different Color

TEST:

Your CO2 is on and supplying your reactor nicely. Your canister filter (which provides the flow through the reactor) is plugged into a GFCI. While you are out, the GFCI is tripped. You return six hours later and reset the GFCI. What happens?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-11-2019, 04:46 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deanna View Post
TEST:

Your CO2 is on and supplying your reactor nicely. Your canister filter (which provides the flow through the reactor) is plugged into a GFCI. While you are out, the GFCI is tripped. You return six hours later and reset the GFCI. What happens?
You realize you should of had your co2 plugged into the GFCI outlet along with the filter. Or for as many times as those GFCI outlets false trip, remove the GFCI and install standard outlet.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-11-2019, 04:56 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLee View Post
You realize you should of had your co2 plugged into the GFCI outlet along with the filter. Or for as many times as those GFCI outlets false trip, remove the GFCI and install standard outlet.
That would be ideal and is a good lesson for those that have setups that can accommodate that. In my case, the regulator is in the basement, so combining both into one GFCI is not possible (all tank apparatus are plugged into a UPS which, in turn, is plugged into an inline GFCI). For me, the lesson is to never power-up the filter, after being off for more than a half-hour or so, without bleeding-off the reactor contents. Many a fish gave up their lives to teach me this.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-11-2019, 05:02 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Many a fish gave up their lives to teach me this.
That is a bummer, sorry you had to loose your fishies.
deeda likes this.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-11-2019, 11:42 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
That would be ideal and is a good lesson for those that have setups that can accommodate that. In my case, the regulator is in the basement, so combining both into one GFCI is not possible (all tank apparatus are plugged into a UPS which, in turn, is plugged into an inline GFCI). For me, the lesson is to never power-up the filter, after being off for more than a half-hour or so, without bleeding-off the reactor contents. Many a fish gave up their lives to teach me this.
Ugh sorry to hear about your fish.

Going forward could you plug a power strip into your gfci and run everything including your co2 off of that power strip?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-11-2019, 11:05 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLee View Post
I used to have random GFCI trips where my reef tank was and replaced it with GFCI/AFCI combo. Once I did that, it never tripped again except for when it really should have.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-12-2019, 01:58 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I almost lost a tank of fish for somewhat the same reason --except I did it to myself. While cleaning tubes, rearranging and general fussing, I had turned down the filter but left the CO2 to the reactor on, came back and turned it all on only to find the fish near death in a short time! All did recover but it was close.
Amazing how many ways I find to shoot myself in the foot and a reactor full of CO2 is one of many!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-14-2020, 02:58 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Old thread but I was looking for something and spotted this..

One thing people may or may not know is a GFCI is only needed on the first of a series of outlets..
That protects the whole string and of course all will go out if it trips..

http://www.electrical101.com/wpimage...ng-diagram.png
Quesenek likes this.

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure."
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 09:31 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd
I always use a powerstrip. You can use one or two. I have my filter, heater, CO2 on one. Then I have my lights on another. Though this is mainly for maintenance (I can turn off my filters but keep my lights on for water changes), the idea is keep your systems that work together on the same strip. That way, if something trips, everything on that system trips.

Also, the above post is very helpful for wiring. It wasn't on my tank but in my previous home, someone put GFCI's on the same circuit. One kept tripping but it was the last outlet on a string of 4. I figured out which outlet was feeding the next and replaced them with regular outlets. I wasn't trying to solve any problems, just trying to diagnose what was making it trip and found it stopped tripping when I set it up. Probably just a faulty GFCI but point being, it was very hard to know when you wire a bunch up when they are already in series. No electrical engineer, and I am not saying it is inherently bad to run GFCI's in series but it is unnecessary, and when you do have issues, it is much harder to figure out the problem.

-Matt

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 09:52 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Sorry to hear!!!

Nothing is completely failsafe but this is one reason I use a GHL Controller.
When you spend years growing and caring for VERY expensive coral... you learn to do everything you can to prevent catastrophe, or at least catch it quickly.

I hope your losses are finished and your tank bounces back!

-Dennis
WATER BOX CLEAR PRO 6025 (143 gallons) | 3x GHL MITRAS LX7004 LED | 2x OASE BIOMASTER THERMO | GHL PROFILUX 4 CONTROLLER | GHL DOSER 2.1 | CO2 ART PRO ELITE REGULATOR | NILOCG NA ADVANCED CO2 REACTOR

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode