Inline or intank diffuser for 40 gallon - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-08-2019, 07:30 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Inline or intank diffuser for 40 gallon

I am going with the GLA GRO paintball regulator and was wondering if I should go with an inline or intank diffuser. The reason why I ask is I know you have to have a consistent higher pressure operating pressure in order for the in lines to work.
Let me know your guys thoughts. I really don’t mind the looks of the intank and I will be cleaning my lily pipes weekly anyways.
I’m having a tough time deciding.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-08-2019, 08:04 PM
Algae Grower

I had just bumped this thread the other day. Check it out. https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/9...-diffuser.html

45g fluval bowfront tank, plant 2.0 light, 206 canister and ac30 hob filters, 5lb co2 art pro se
10g quarantine tank

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-08-2019, 08:29 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squisher View Post
I had just bumped this thread the other day. Check it out. https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/9...-diffuser.html
I saw that thread thanks!

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-08-2019, 11:40 PM
Wannabe Guru

Do you know how high the working pressure is on that regulator? Makes a big difference.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

|
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-08-2019, 11:57 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by varanidguy View Post
Do you know how high the working pressure is on that regulator? Makes a big difference.

They claim 70 PSI which is plenty. But with only 24 oz that pressure will drop off the emptier that’s tank gets
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-09-2019, 12:52 AM
Wannabe Guru

Have you considered a reactor instead? You can build one pretty cheaply or buy one off the shelf. Essentially zero maintenance and works better.

post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-09-2019, 01:52 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by minorhero View Post
Have you considered a reactor instead? You can build one pretty cheaply or buy one off the shelf. Essentially zero maintenance and works better.
I will look into that. Any recommendations on one?
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-09-2019, 01:58 AM
Algae Grower

I'm a beginner in planted aquariums. But I've found this site to be some interesting reading: https://www.advancedplantedtank.com/...r_reactor.html

45g fluval bowfront tank, plant 2.0 light, 206 canister and ac30 hob filters, 5lb co2 art pro se
10g quarantine tank

post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-09-2019, 03:06 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurdueGK View Post
They claim 70 PSI which is plenty. But with only 24 oz that pressure will drop off the emptier thatís tank gets
Ah yeah, I just re-read and realized you're going to use a paint ball setup. I agree with minorhero, a reactor will maximize co2 efficiency, followed by an in line atomizer.

|
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-09-2019, 12:13 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Well my recommendation is to build a rex grigg reactor. It will be cheap and extremely effective. If however you don't want to go down the diy path then buy any reactor that is designed to fit the tubing from your canister filter or sump. Sera makes a few and sells them on amazon.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-09-2019, 03:06 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
I'm a beginner in planted aquariums. But I've found this site to be some interesting reading: https://www.advancedplantedtank.com/...r_reactor.html
This article pretty much outlines the adv/disadv of each method. They all work. Efficiency stands for very little as co2 is cheap. There's also a camp (including Tom Barr) that believes the micro bubbles as they attach to leaves are more efficient in providing co2 with the same levels as a reactor so technically you could run less co2 and get the same results from your plants, so that counters some of the efficiency of reactors.

One thing I like about in-tank is you'll immediately know if there's an issue since it's a visual check. If your concerned about equipment in the tank, a glass diffuser is no more of an eyesore than a glass lily pipe.

post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-09-2019, 03:16 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by minorhero View Post
Quote:
Well my recommendation is to build a rex grigg reactor. It will be cheap and extremely effective. If however you don't want to go down the diy path then buy any reactor that is designed to fit the tubing from your canister filter or sump. Sera makes a few and sells them on amazon.
Thanks for this article. I will definitely keep this in mind.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-09-2019, 03:18 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asteroid View Post
Quote:
This article pretty much outlines the adv/disadv of each method. They all work. Efficiency stands for very little as co2 is cheap. There's also a camp (including Tom Barr) that believes the micro bubbles as they attach to leaves are more efficient in providing co2 with the same levels as a reactor so technically you could run less co2 and get the same results from your plants, so that counters some of the efficiency of reactors.

One thing I like about in-tank is you'll immediately know if there's an issue since it's a visual check. If your concerned about equipment in the tank, a glass diffuser is no more of an eyesore than a glass lily pipe.
I am leaning towards an in tank diffuser. If I don’t like it, it’s only $20-$25 and then I can go with a rector or inline. I do frequent maintenance on my tanks. 2 water changes a week so I will be able to keep the diffuser and the lily pipes clean.

Do you guys have any recommendations for in tank diffusers?
GLA
NEO
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-09-2019, 03:57 PM
Algae Grower

What I find helpful about that site is not just the equipment comparisons but kind of the step by step details of what all is involved in co2 and how to get going on it. Ive read lot s of good info here too. But the layout of that site is nice as a reference I'm finding.

10g quarantine tank

post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-09-2019, 04:52 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
I am leaning towards an in tank diffuser. If I don’t like it, it’s only $20-$25 and then I can go with a rector or inline. I do frequent maintenance on my tanks. 2 water changes a week so I will be able to keep the diffuser and the lily pipes clean.

Do you guys have any recommendations for in tank diffusers?
GLA
NEO
I usually buy cheap ones. Pretty much any brand off amazon, ebay, etc. I haven't had any problems. If you buy GLA your pretty much paying for the name, many of them are the same just branded. Cleaning is really nothing, a few minutes in 50/50 bleach/water does it. During a water change you could also put some seachem excel on the disc to extend cleaning times. I only clean mine once every 2 months or so. The cleaner the tank the less you need to change it. Also I buy two at a time so you can swamp one out with the other and there's also a chance of breaking one (you will do it eventually) if you go glass. You can also go with a stainless steel one if you don't mind the look.

Last edited by Asteroid; 12-09-2019 at 06:43 PM. Reason: .

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode