Picked up 6 Eheim Jager heaters yesterday, temp testing - The Planted Tank Forum
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-05-2019, 05:21 PM Thread Starter
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
Picked up 6 Eheim Jager heaters yesterday, temp testing

As winter hits and my shrimp tanks are staying in the low-mid 60's, I thought I might do something I'd gotten away from years ago -add heaters. I did some research and finally decided on Eheim-Jager Tru-Temp models. I never want the temps in these going past 73 or so, and reviews seems to indicate that these work well in lower ranges and come pretty accurately preset. This was not my experience.

I put 4 of the 75 watt units in empty 20 gallon aquariums overnight set at 69 degrees. Each tank has only an airstone -no lights, pumps or anything to raise temperature. This morning, my readings were 73.6, 74.4, 76.1, and 77.8! Set at 69, all four heaters got warmer than the highest acceptable temperatures for my needs. Very glad I tested them rather than dropping them right in.

I also picked up two of these in 150 watts for my Osaka tanks. Have yet to test these due to not having another empty tank on hand. Once I get the first 4 calibrated, might try them in the 20 gallon tanks understanding that they may heat the water a bit more after shutting off. Anyway, just thought people might find this interesting and thought I should caution that even if all you have on hand is a 5 gallon bucket, it's a good idea to test heaters of any kind before dropping them in your aquarium full of prized livestock. I don't doubt that these will work fine once calibrated, and I get that most people aren't heating tanks to such low temps. So far the only things I would put in the "cons" column for these is that the preset temperatures may not be accurate (at all), the manufacturer states not to use with any thermostat or device that can shut them off, they are supposed to run in the vertical position, and they are really long. The 75 watt units reach both the surface of the water and substrate of a 20 long, and the 150 watt heaters are 13" long. These would suit my needs much better during water changes if I could lay them on their sides towards the bottom. Fortunately I rarely drop the water level more than a couple of inches during shrimp water changes, so this won't be much of an issue for my application. But if these were for fry tanks with frequent large water changes, I'd have to return them. Hope someone finds this helpful.
Leeatl and Discusluv like this.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-06-2019, 02:39 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
I use those heaters and before I got controllers I had to calibrate the settings ring on top for everyone . I still do calibrate them but not really necessary with controllers . I recommend controllers , either DIY or pre-built Ink Bird ones .
Blue Ridge Reef likes this.

My wife says if I get one more aquarium she is going to leave me . I sure am going to miss her fried chicken .
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-07-2019, 06:41 PM Thread Starter
snails are your friend

Good to know. My finger was hovering over the "buy now" button for some of those, but the manufacturer's warning not to use shut off devices kept me from it.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-07-2019, 08:11 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
This BRS video series on heaters is good.

post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-07-2019, 08:12 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ridge Reef View Post
Good to know. My finger was hovering over the "buy now" button for some of those, but the manufacturer's warning not to use shut off devices kept me from it.
I had never read that so I went and looked at an instruction booklet and sure enough that's what it says.....I don't know why . If you set the heater a little above the temp the controller is set to , then the mechanical switch in the heater is always on . Maybe it will stick that way so you can never use it without a controller again ? I have been using mine with controllers for years with no problem so far .

My wife says if I get one more aquarium she is going to leave me . I sure am going to miss her fried chicken .
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-07-2019, 08:18 PM Thread Starter
snails are your friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdWiser View Post
This BRS video series on heaters is good.
I would've gone with Cobalt had I watched this first!

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-08-2019, 07:19 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Does anybody have a theory as to why the unit should not be used with any form of cutoff? I can't think of any mechanical/electrical reason, so is it possible it is written more from a marketing standpoint, than a true reason?
Some odd thoughts that I might throw in that "might" apply?
If you can't use a controller or any device which cuts power to them, what happens when you unplug them?
That makes it sound kind of silly!
Is there a worry about EMF type interference from controllers? Kind of hard to justify that idea when we use all kinds of things like tube lights that are famous for EMF static.
I'm open to ideas if anybody has other suggestions. Meanwhile, I'm a big fan of controllers for several reasons.
One that I don't often mention is that I use both the builtin thermostat but they allow a few degrees of variation on the temp. So, in playing around, I find that I can use both that thermostat as well as the controller thermostat and get the temp to stay almost exactly ( as close as digital thermometers measure) on the set temp. I use 76 degrees as my standard temp and settled for getting 76.4 !
In the back of my mind, I suspect that is not an actual "real" temp either but then I try not to obsess and I'm getting real close when even thinking of 4/10 degree as a question.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-08-2019, 07:29 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I have a Fluval heater set to 73F. It is very accurate, within 0.2 or less, but I use my Apex as an override, keeping it on at <75, and off at >75.

Style: Organic soil (dirt), sand, gravel, plants, moss, algae, biofilm, mulm, snails, shrimp, small fish
Tech: Fluval Plant 3.0 Nano, Top Fin MF10, Tunze 3161, Eheim Skim 350, Neptune Apex EL
Tanks:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|

Media:
|
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-08-2019, 11:13 PM
Planted Member

The Cobalt heater had a bad habit of melt down when they where released

https://reefcentral.com/forums/showt...ghlight=Cobalt

Always been scared of them since then came out.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-09-2019, 12:33 AM Thread Starter
snails are your friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedRich View Post
Does anybody have a theory as to why the unit should not be used with any form of cutoff? I can't think of any mechanical/electrical reason, so is it possible it is written more from a marketing standpoint, than a true reason?
I'm not going to say that I know with any certainty but these have the most basic metal thermostat imaginable. I'm putting them on controllers in short order. And laying them sideways in the tanks. I'm a rebel, I know...

In other news, I got the first 4 calibrated and just tested one of the 150 watt units. This is for an aquarium with fish and getting heated to 76. In a 20 gallon tank anyway, it tested at 76.4 so much better than the 150's performed. I'll test the other one shortly, and check back in.
deeda likes this.

post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-09-2019, 01:43 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ridge Reef View Post
I'm not going to say that I know with any certainty but these have the most basic metal thermostat imaginable. I'm putting them on controllers in short order. And laying them sideways in the tanks. I'm a rebel, I know...

In other news, I got the first 4 calibrated and just tested one of the 150 watt units. This is for an aquarium with fish and getting heated to 76. In a 20 gallon tank anyway, it tested at 76.4 so much better than the 150's performed. I'll test the other one shortly, and check back in.

That's the thing that really made me wonder as the less complex electronics are far less prone to any sort of interference. At one point, I was involved in moving defense circuits for missile silos OFF new digital systems and back onto much older analog systems to avoid the EMI blast you get from nearby nukes!
If these have the old bi-metal spring operation, it likely has such simple circuits involved that I can't think of any reason not to tie them to controllers of almost any sort. Bi-metal controls are about as bulletproof as you can get when speaking of interference since it is pretty much just a flat metal piece that warps when heated, tied to a couple small parts and controlled by a screw gizmo for setting the temp. The old stuff is hardy but with one big problem as the have tiny little contacts on them and those contacts tend to arc and burn just a tiny bit on opening and closing. That little arc is just a tiny version of an arc welder and they do tend to weld the contacts together so you get a heater stuck full on!
That leaves me REALLY wanting to tie them to some form of controller as a backup safety.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-09-2019, 03:14 AM
Wannabe Guru

My Jager heater needed calibration when it was new as well, but it's been very consistent ever since. For what it's worth. Eheim sent me a second one after I emailed inquiring about the discrepancy in dial vs actual temp, but I haven't tested it yet.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

|
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-09-2019, 05:24 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I sent Eheim support a request as to why no controllers and I will post their answer if/when I get one . I agree with Plantedrich , probably just marketing ploy....lol
deeda and varanidguy like this.

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-10-2019, 12:33 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Here is the reply I got from Eheim.....

Kevin (Eheim Support)

Dec 9, 19:09 -05
Hi Kenneth, the Jager heaters instruction manual does in fact state that it should not be operated with a timer or control system although I have seen a number of people use them with the Jager heaters without any issues. I have not been given any information from head office in Germany as to why this measure of caution is included in the manual or what type of testing was done to determine it is not recommended.

Kevin | Eheim Support

So there you go....an answer that is no answer....lol
deeda and Blue Ridge Reef like this.

post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-10-2019, 02:14 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Yes, we do seem to get a lot of that at times. I'm not prone to using one on a timer but on the other hand, I can't think of any reason why it would harm anything on the heater. Pretty much like first adding it to a tank of cold water, I would think. Not thinking it would be good for any fish, though!
On marketing and hype, I just got a fine example when I bought a new mower. Seems the new one adverts that oil changes are not needed on the new one but on asking a few questions of repair guys, They tell me the marketing idea is mowers are only designed to be used for three years and that is about how long they feel their mower will last---So the plan is for you to not do oil changes but DO expect to replace it every 3-4 years!
Maybe I should have taken better care of the old Lawnboy as it lasted more than 20. No telling how long it might have lasted if I really had changed the oil every year or so!!
deeda and Leeatl like this.

Last edited by PlantedRich; 12-10-2019 at 02:19 AM. Reason: typos and added

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode