Stainless Steel filter pipes - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By anfield

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-01-2019, 11:37 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Stainless Steel filter pipes

Hello all, have any of you tried stainless steel lily pipes. Dont want glass and tired of the green eheim pipes. Also can anyone do the math for me and tell me if I need 12/16mm or 16/22mm pipes to go with standard eheim tubing?

And finally has anyone seen a stainless steel spray bar?
Leeatl likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-02-2019, 01:42 AM

Send a message via AIM to petej1940 Send a message via Skype™ to petej1940
Quote:
tell me if I need 12/16mm or 16/22mm pipes to go with standard eheim tubing
The numbers represent inner/outer diameter of tubing, so the smaller specification is 12mm inner diameter (0.472 inches), 16mm outer diameter (0.63 inches). The larger spec is 16 mm inside (0.63 inches), 22mm outside (0.866 inches).

In inches, the smaller spec is compatible with 1/2" ID tubing, the larger with 5/8" tubing.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-02-2019, 02:02 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Check the numbers on the Eheim hoses so you know which sizes you are looking for or post the Eheim filter model.

Or if you are looking for a cheap option, try spray painting your existing Eheim pipes the color you want them. I've used black Krylon for Plastics spray paint on my intake pipes since they were most visible in a couple of my tanks. You just need to let the paint dry for a few days and they may need multiple coats.

Dee
Eheim Pimpette #270
Eheim Pro II 2028; Classics Series -2215, 2217, 2260, 2262; Pro 2229 Wet/Dry

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-02-2019, 04:55 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by petej1940 View Post
Quote:
tell me if I need 12/16mm or 16/22mm pipes to go with standard eheim tubing
The numbers represent inner/outer diameter of tubing, so the smaller specification is 12mm inner diameter (0.472 inches), 16mm outer diameter (0.63 inches). The larger spec is 16 mm inside (0.63 inches), 22mm outside (0.866 inches).

In inches, the smaller spec is compatible with 1/2" ID tubing, the larger with 5/8" tubing.
So I just need to find the eheim pipe specs. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeda View Post
Check the numbers on the Eheim hoses so you know which sizes you are looking for or post the Eheim filter model.

Or if you are looking for a cheap option, try spray painting your existing Eheim pipes the color you want them. I've used black Krylon for Plastics spray paint on my intake pipes since they were most visible in a couple of my tanks. You just need to let the paint dry for a few days and they may need multiple coats.
Not a bad idea but I was hoping to go with.the stainless steel look but I want a spray bar

Last edited by Darkblade48; 12-02-2019 at 11:34 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-05-2019, 06:08 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd
If you know what filter you have, many of us can tell you what size you need as we have had to figure it out. I know one Eheim has a different size inflow and outflow size (2217), not sure if other models do, if you have one, you will need to buy individual pipes rather than a set. Do you have a brand in mind? I want to swap my glass for stainless in the near future, probably a Christmas gift to myself.

-Matt

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-05-2019, 07:11 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
And finally has anyone seen a stainless steel spray bar?
I have not seen stainless steel turbine parts for sale for aquariums. I don't think anyone makes it. For a stainless steel spray bar you probably have to buy some tubing and drill holes in it and plug the end of the hose in some way.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-05-2019, 07:23 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surf View Post
I have not seen stainless steel turbine parts for sale for aquariums. I don't think anyone makes it. For a stainless steel spray bar you probably have to buy some tubing and drill holes in it and plug the end of the hose in some way.
I missed that part. I have seen them for sale over the years but no consistent supplier. It would be a pretty easy DIY, just get SS pipes where the outflow isn't crimped, just a straight shot. Then just find the same size SS tubing and drill holes, you can find DIY spray bar threads to figure out the sizing. I am sure you can find an appropriate sized plug somewhere at the end.

I like lily pipes over spraybars myself, but if I were to have a spraybar, I would just window tint the back glass and paint it black. This would assume you would want or wouldn't mind a black background. Not that making an SS spray bar would be hard, it just is a lot less work. SS is pretty easy to finish, bet a stud slightly larger than the pipe, put in in a drill, then polish or use sand paper to brush, depending on the look. Finding a plug at the end might be more challenging, but you could also use plastic and paint it black (or maybe sliver) and nobody is going to notice.

-Matt

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-05-2019, 07:52 AM
Algae Grower

If you decide to diy in SS buy plenty of drill bits. Especially if you don't use a cutting fluid while drilling. It work hardens pretty quickly if you aren't using the proper speeds and feeds, (which hand drilling makes that nearly impossible).

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode