vinyl hose question - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-26-2019, 02:10 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
vinyl hose question

I had to buy some clear vinyl hose from HD. In the specs, it was listed as potable water usage. I'm using it to connect filters, it won't be used inside the tank. Should I be OK?

The real fountain of youth is being a musician
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-26-2019, 02:23 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Should be fine .

My wife says if I get one more aquarium she is going to leave me . I sure am going to miss her fried chicken .
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-26-2019, 02:23 AM
Wannabe Guru

I've been using HD clear vinyl to connect my eheim to my lily pipes for years, never had any issues.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-26-2019, 03:54 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-05-2019, 06:52 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd
No issues here either. I will say the hoses can pop off more easily, especially when it is cold but they aren't like falling off. Pull hard on something and it may compared to say, Eheim tubing. I still am using it, though I may look into higher quality clear tubing if I replumb my tank in the near future.

-Matt

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-05-2019, 04:25 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by talontsiawd View Post
No issues here either. I will say the hoses can pop off more easily, especially when it is cold but they aren't like falling off. Pull hard on something and it may compared to say, Eheim tubing. I still am using it, though I may look into higher quality clear tubing if I replumb my tank in the near future.
Thanks. My anal-retentive side has me securing all of my hose connections with SS hose clamps. They're cheap. A 10 pack cost me $9.00 at HD.

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-05-2019, 07:07 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd
Quote:
Originally Posted by butchblack View Post
Thanks. My anal-retentive side has me securing all of my hose connections with SS hose clamps. They're cheap. A 10 pack cost me $9.00 at HD.
They do make higher quality clear tubing more similar to Eheim as well, I forget what brand but it is aquarium specific. The HD/Lowes stuff just doesn't tighten up around barbs or grip as much, though I have no issues and I don't have hose clamps on anything and no leaks. Hose clamps make it not matter very much.

-Matt

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-05-2019, 07:22 PM
Algae Grower

I don't think it matters if the tubing is submerged or has water running through it.

The PVC tubing I bought from HD or Lowe's stiffened up within a few years. The stuff I mail ordered is holding up better but it's lost some flexibility.

PVC tubing is 18-40% plasticizer which I find somewhat disturbing since the loss of flexibility is probably due to plasticizer leaching out over time.

I'm thinking about switching to silicone tubing secured with Oetiker clamps but I'm not sure how well it would work.

Silicone has no plasticizers and won't permanently kink.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-05-2019, 08:12 PM
Algae Grower

My understanding of silicone tubing is that since it's more pliable your chances of kinking go up a lot. So I guess it's a pick your poison type thing.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-05-2019, 08:25 PM
Algae Grower

I've used silicone in my water cooled PC for years. Since it's flexible it does kink somewhat easier but it doesn't take on a permanent set link PVC tubing. I'll use thicker wall silicone tubing for my next PC to see if it's any better at resisting kinking.

I've tried to remove kinds from PVC tubing by heating up the tubing and squeezing it along the opposite axis. I wasn't particularly successful.

The kinking really only happens when I try sharp bends such as inside a PC. It shouldn't happen when used for aquarium filters. There's braid-reinforced silicone which could be the best of both worlds but I haven't felt the need for it. It's also much more expensive.

The PVC tubing kinks when I try to roll up 50-100' of it and don't do it perfectly. Even then it's only happened with the cheap thin walled stuff.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode