• 1 Post By Botia dude
  • 1 Post By Leeatl
  • 1 Post By mgm53

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-17-2019, 12:39 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Inkbird controller

Hi, I would like some help choosing an inkbird controller for my heater. What do you use? Any recommendations? I cannot figure out the differences when I view them online. Also, after searching, I am totally confused on how to set it!? Any help please? I apologize for posting again, but would like to figure this out as I am concerned about my heaters (3 on 10, 17 gallon tanks).

Fish+Plants thanks you!!
Michigan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-17-2019, 03:08 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Hi - I have the inkbird which is intended for beer brewing, I believe, but they have since released one intended for aquarium usage - the probe on it is black rather than silver, so it shouldn't rust.

It's a little confusing to program, but the unit itself comes with a manual which explains it better. Essentially, you program your desired temperature, and then how many degrees below that temp and how many degrees above that temp it can go. If it goes outside the upper value, it will activate the "cooling" socket, and whatever you have plugged into that will be powered; vice versa if it goes below the range for lower value. I have mine set with my heater plugged into the "heating" socket, and a small fan into the "cooling" socket for evaporative cooling.

It also has a max upper and max lower, which will trigger the alarm if the temperature goes outside that range. Everything is programmed in reference to your desired temperature.

I hope that helps!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-17-2019, 10:30 PM
Algae Grower

Hi, I have 3 inkbird ITC-306T in my tanks. After a few months in the fresh water fish tank, all 3 thermistor no longer provide accurate readings. At times the readings would show 198F. I contacted customer service, they reluctantly replaced the thermistors not the whole unit. This was two years ago, I sure hope they fixed the defective probe.
I did some research and found this inexpensive temperature controller -W1209. It provides very accurate and I highly recommend it to someone who is handy and knows how to wire up the unit.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-18-2019, 12:03 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
I got the idea from PlantedRich on here and he has a thread about it , but I take a plastic straw , bend and seal one end, put the probe in it and fasten at he top , then put the whole thing in the water keeping the top above the waterline . This keeps the probe dry and lasting forever . Hope that makes sense .

My wife says if I get one more aquarium she is going to leave me . I sure am going to miss her fried chicken .
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-18-2019, 01:08 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptopi View Post
Hi, I have 3 inkbird ITC-306T in my tanks. After a few months in the fresh water fish tank, all 3 thermistor no longer provide accurate readings. At times the readings would show 198F. I contacted customer service, they reluctantly replaced the thermistors not the whole unit. This was two years ago, I sure hope they fixed the defective probe.
I did some research and found this inexpensive temperature controller -W1209. It provides very accurate and I highly recommend it to someone who is handy and knows how to wire up the unit.
"It's update version of ITC-306T with Corrosion Resistant Probe, perfect for saltwater & planted tank.

The aquarium thermostat is with two heating outlets which be able to connect Two Heaters at the same time but totally load could not over 1200W."

That's on their Amazon listing. I purchased one not too long ago. Hopefully it is better. I had an older model inkbird with a detachable probe that is still running. Did a review here on TPT and did a setup video on YouTube.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-18-2019, 02:11 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thank you all, I may try the ITC306T; it sounds like I should be sure it has the probe for fish tanks which I think I saw.

Fish+Plants thanks you!!
Michigan
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-18-2019, 04:01 PM
Planted Member

Just replaced an Inkbird unit this last weekend. The calibration allows for 15 degrees variance. It's out of calibration by over 20 degrees after about a year of use.
Ken Keating1 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-18-2019, 04:32 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Interesting about the failures. In the past six months, 2 out of 3 of my Inkbirds failed by slowing going out of calibration. I'd calibrate them, and a week later I'd have to recalibrate, and after 5-6 weeks they would be out of the range entirely.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-18-2019, 07:20 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Yikes, kinda defeats the purpose. What's happened to the reliable equipment? I was alarmed by how often heaters fail or get stuck on high that's why I started looking at controllers. Now these sound like a waste of money and too risky as well. Are there any good choices any more?

Fish+Plants thanks you!!
Michigan
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-18-2019, 09:31 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I use the Inkbird ITC 1000 controllers and they have worked fine for years . You do have to DIY the interface for them , but not that hard .
Here is a thread on mine....
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/2...000-build.html

And a how to page...
How to Make a DIY Aquarium Temperature Controller

Hope this helps someone.
Quint likes this.

My wife says if I get one more aquarium she is going to leave me . I sure am going to miss her fried chicken .
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-21-2019, 02:35 AM
Algae Grower

Save the headache look online for a willhi wh1436a. Has adjustable shut offs and alarms and can get the for <$30

Sent from my P00A using Tapatalk
Ken Keating1 likes this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode