I'm breaking up with Eheim. Can you recommend a replacement for a 120 gallon? - The Planted Tank Forum
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-31-2019, 01:38 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I'm breaking up with Eheim. Can you recommend a replacement for a 120 gallon?

UPDATE: I have ordered a 2217. So technically, I'm breaking up with Pro 3s and not Eheim all together. I looked at all the suggestions and the Oase, Fluval Fx6 and Eheim Classics seemed to have the most fans. When I factored in cost, availability of parts (including a HUGE storage box filled with everything Eheim, it seemed like a good choice at half the cost of the other two.

Thanks you everyone who gave recommendations and for sharing such in depth info and experiences. I really appreciate it! I've been battling cyanobacteria ever since my first 2028 bit the dust, so I'm really looking forward to getting some good filtration going again. Thank you again!

I had two Eheim 2028s on my 120 gallon planted tank. Over the years, I've replaced all the seals and rings many times. And over the years I've had the dreaded leak from the power cord area many times. Even the priming ring has been replaced. This is a known issue with these filters. And I'm tired of the customer services issues I've experienced at Eheim as well -- maybe they'll get back to you and maybe they won't.

I got rid of one of them months ago and now the second one has developed the constant slow trickle.

The only thing worse than hearing water alarms go off in the middle of the night is having your roommate call you in the middle of the night because of them -- while you're on vacation.

Can you recommend a rock solid canister filter that will fit under a 120 gallon (4x4x2)? Something NOT known for having leaking issues. Long-lived, easy to change filter media, easy to get media. Good flow rate. I also have a Koralia for flow if that's helpful. I'm open to all suggestions, all brands. Thanks.

Last edited by heavensabvus1; 11-07-2019 at 02:58 AM. Reason: Update
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-31-2019, 02:03 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Fluval FX6 is the usual goto. Oase is making a big marketing push these days and they have the best feature-set with an easy to remove pre-filter and the option for a heater built in. But the Oase warranty is not as good. /shrug.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-31-2019, 06:00 AM
Algae Grower

I picked up the Oase Biomaster Thermo 350 a few months ago as a second canister on my 75 g, and I am in love with this filter. So so quiet, built-in heater, pre-filter thing that's really easy to clean (under 5 minutes). The other canister on this tank is the Eheim 2217, which I went to clean the other day and realized how much I despise THAT filter. In time I hope to replace the Eheim with another Oase Biomaster, but with Christmas shopping around the corner it'll have to wait.
evil8 likes this.

ďA pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.Ē Ė Winston Churchill

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-31-2019, 02:43 PM
Planted Member

I second the Oase Biomaster Thermo (I have the 250). In addition to the impressive feature set on the filter, the heater is excellent. I monitor my water temperature via my home automation system and the temperature stays within 0.4 degrees Fahrenheit of the set point.

My Tank Journal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-31-2019, 06:09 PM
Algae Grower

Have you considered the Eheim Classic Series?
mgeorges likes this.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-31-2019, 07:20 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by john borr View Post
Was going to say this. Everything else I have tried has let me down (including the newer Eheim models). Eheim Classic have never given me a problem in 30 years.
mgeorges likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-31-2019, 07:31 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavensabvus1 View Post
I had two Eheim 2028s on my 120 gallon planted tank. Over the years, I've replaced all the seals and rings many times. And over the years I've had the dreaded leak from the power cord area many times. Even the priming ring has been replaced. This is a known issue with these filters. And I'm tired of the customer services issues I've experienced at Eheim as well -- maybe they'll get back to you and maybe they won't.

I got rid of one of them months ago and now the second one has developed the constant slow trickle.

The only thing worse than hearing water alarms go off in the middle of the night is having your roommate call you in the middle of the night because of them -- while you're on vacation.

Can you recommend a rock solid canister filter that will fit under a 120 gallon (4x4x2)? Something NOT known for having leaking issues. Long-lived, easy to change filter media, easy to get media. Good flow rate. I also have a Koralia for flow if that's helpful. I'm open to all suggestions, all brands. Thanks.

I've had a bad experience with Eheim products as well, and their customer service was of no help (wouldn't honor warranty). I'll never buy another Eheim product and encourage others to think twice before doing so.

• 60G low-tech planted acrylic elongated hexagon
  • 29G low-tech planted glass rectangle
  • 20G high-tech planted acrylic rectangle
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-31-2019, 07:47 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I've got two of the Oase Biomaster 600 Thermos.
https://amzn.to/2C3vLS4
I'm a newb, but I bought them for the reasons stated above.
Integrated heater, easy to clean pre-filter, completely silent operation, and the hoses can be hooked up to 17mm glass pipes.
My only negative is the flow could be better. Some people have modified the pre-filter to help reduce restriction in that area.
There's some vids on youtube.

-Dennis
WATER BOX CLEAR PRO 6025 (143 gallons) | 3x GHL MITRAS LX7004 LED | 2x OASE BIOMASTER THERMO | GHL PROFILUX 4 CONTROLLER | GHL DOSER 2.1 | CO2 ART PRO ELITE REGULATOR | NILOCG NA ADVANCED CO2 REACTOR

post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-31-2019, 08:01 PM
Wannabe Guru

I can't recommend anything but whatever you do don't go with Hydor canister filters. Total junk.

post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-01-2019, 12:47 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I've got fluval 307, several issues but doesn't leak knock on wood. Buying replacement parts is a pain unless its 06 series or earlier. There website doesn't work all that great so have to call. Plus with all the yearly recommended parts I will be replacing it. Flow is good, maintenance is pretty easy but jeez put a handle on it lol.

Small thing but every time disconnect the hoses/valve it squirts water out. I guess the fx series is much better but only comes in high flow big tank sizes.

post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-01-2019, 01:26 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Love my FX6's on my 180 gallon and the Fluvel G6 on 60 gallon. The Fluvel G6 is the best filter Ive ever used ( in 3 decades of fish-keeping) and when it breaks ( its been going constantly for 8 years without loosing a beat) Ill buy another one.
Also have 207's on both my 30 gallons- which are okay. But, Fluvels have been the only canisters Ive used in the past 18 years, haven't found a reason yet to switch. The 207's do irritate me sometimes because difficult to prime sometimes- if I ever switched to another brand it would be at this size.

post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-01-2019, 01:44 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Seems the have various standards @Discusluv

Honestly I don't see much of the 307 lasting very long. It is easy to setup though
Discusluv likes this.

post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-01-2019, 01:32 PM
Algae Grower

I got two Penn Plax Cascades (1000 & 1200) in a package deal recently and have been running them for several months now. The previous owner said they are about 5 years old and he replaced one impeller in that time and gave me an extra in case I had the same issue. For a budget canister filter I don't think they can be beat based on reviews I've read. Some have problems with priming, as did I until I figured out how to do it. I've had to take mine apart several times in a few months and re-prime them each time, its a piece of cake now. Complaints about cleaning are another common thing I've seen on reviews, but that one I don't understand. They are both very quiet and can be modified to use any configuration of filter media you want. My intent is to replace them both with a FX6 down the line, but until they fail I see no reason to swap out.
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-01-2019, 02:46 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by john borr View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triport View Post
Was going to say this. Everything else I have tried has let me down (including the newer Eheim models). Eheim Classic have never given me a problem in 30 years.
I'll third this. I've been running two 2213's and a 2217 now for a few years with zero issues. The only thing I can see coming up anytime soon is the pump head o-ring may need replacing, not a big deal. They don't have nifty trays, so I throw the bio-media in media bags and I remove the ceramic rings and just add more sponges. Do that and maintenance is really quick and easy.
deeda, Triport and Asteroid like this.
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-04-2019, 02:49 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd
I had a dud of an Ehiem and it was a classic (a 2215). Over time, I probably paid almost what I paid for the filter, Ehiem was no help, they tried to put the responsibility on my LFS, and though they wanted to help, they couldn't return a canister that had been used, especially for some period of time (it was my first canister so I didn't know how bad my problems were until a few months, I though it wasn't primed). Anyway, it seemed to come with a broken impeller shaft, fixed that, but then my impeller's holes got elongated. So then I replaced both the impeller, and shaft again. I also broke the plastic head/pump cover from constantly opening it up, not knowing what was going on and with no help.

That said, I had an Ecco 2234 and it worked perfectly. My 2215 worked perfectly after all that, which I am convinced would have been working as well as it does now out the box if it didn't have that issue. Both filters have been running for over 10 years now, maybe 15, it's hard to remember, a bit after my join date.

I wouldn't have ever bought one again but the 2234 was on clearance at Petco for like $35. I wish I bought them out, I was young and broke but I had planned on selling them to my local people for a decent price, then I happened to get a tank it was perfect for.

My point is, even after a dud, and an expensive one, I do still trust Ehiem. I know that answer is not for everyone, and I would hate to lead you down the wrong road. The only filters of similar quality were Fluval, many liked them less than Eheims but felt they worked just fine, they just didn't like certain things about them. There are more innovative designs than both Fluval and Eheim from cheaper brands but I haven't found people liking them as consistently. Some love them, some have issues but own enough to swap parts, the main reason I like to stick with brand names is you can easily get replacement parts, either online, or in store.

Bump: I had a dud of an Ehiem and it was a classic (a 2215). Over time, I probably paid almost what I paid for the filter, Ehiem was no help, they tried to put the responsibility on my LFS, and though they wanted to help, they couldn't return a canister that had been used, especially for some period of time (it was my first canister so I didn't know how bad my problems were until a few months, I though it wasn't primed). Anyway, it seemed to come with a broken impeller shaft, fixed that, but then my impeller's holes got elongated. So then I replaced both the impeller, and shaft again. I also broke the plastic head/pump cover from constantly opening it up, not knowing what was going on and with no help.

That said, I had an Ecco 2234 and it worked perfectly. My 2215 worked perfectly after all that, which I am convinced would have been working as well as it does now out the box if it didn't have that issue. Both filters have been running for over 10 years now, maybe 15, it's hard to remember, a bit after my join date.

I wouldn't have ever bought one again but the 2234 was on clearance at Petco for like $35. I wish I bought them out, I was young and broke but I had planned on selling them to my local people for a decent price, then I happened to get a tank it was perfect for.

My point is, even after a dud, and an expensive one, I do still trust Ehiem. I know that answer is not for everyone, and I would hate to lead you down the wrong road. The only filters of similar quality were Fluval, many liked them less than Eheims but felt they worked just fine, they just didn't like certain things about them. There are more innovative designs than both Fluval and Eheim from cheaper brands but I haven't found people liking them as consistently. Some love them, some have issues but own enough to swap parts, the main reason I like to stick with brand names is you can easily get replacement parts, either online, or in store.
Discusluv likes this.

-Matt

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode