• 2 Post By minorhero
  • 1 Post By Asteroid

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 04:33 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Mostly for shutter bugs..

https://www.redsharknews.com/product...body-s-kit-bag

Thought the article was interesting in regards to a few LED spectrum "things"..and the tech of course..
Quote:
Aputureís claim of 1000 lux at a foot is not too overblown. Itíll do that for an hour and a half on a charge.
MC sells for US$90/90Euros

Fish photos anyone?

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 07:07 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

It looks like a spiffy gadget but honestly at this point I rather take pictures with my camera and fix any issues I have in post production. Between amazing image quality at high iso and really great software there is not much need for something like this, especially when our tanks tend to already have pretty decent lighting. My biggest issue when photographing my fish right now is dealing with glare.

Then again I am also shooting with a sony a7iii which is probably the top camera in the "prosumer" market and likely in the top 10 cameras overall right now, so experiences will vary with other cameras.
evil8 and d2creative like this.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 09:35 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by minorhero View Post
It looks like a spiffy gadget but honestly at this point I rather take pictures with my camera and fix any issues I have in post production. Between amazing image quality at high iso and really great software there is not much need for something like this, especially when our tanks tend to already have pretty decent lighting. My biggest issue when photographing my fish right now is dealing with glare.

Then again I am also shooting with a sony a7iii which is probably the top camera in the "prosumer" market and likely in the top 10 cameras overall right now, so experiences will vary with other cameras.

Possibly true..
BTW: Interesting camera (sensor)..
Quote:
The dual gain circuitry in the a7 III - and most recent Sony sensors - not only improves general noise performance at high ISO, but also high ISO dynamic range.
https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sony-a7-iii-review/6
Quote:
He's found that there's essentially no benefit to using ISO 500 vs. boosting an ISO 100 Raw 2.3 EV, and no benefit to using ISO 51,200 vs. boosting an ISO 640 Raw 6.3EV in post. There is, however, nearly a stop improvement in shadow noise going from ISO 500 to ISO 640, because of the gain switch at ISO 640.

Explanation of ISO-invarient..
https://petapixel.com/2017/03/22/fin...c-range-noise/

Now I get to test my old DSLR..

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure."

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 10:33 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

You guys haven't had white balance issues until you've tried to shoot a reef tank.

I adjust the spectrum of the lights, just for taking photos.
Then like minorhero said I can make any small tweaks in post.

It's interesting to see all the LED photo lights hitting the market, but since I mainly shoot in the studio, or like to use just ambient lighting when out in the wild, I haven't seen the need to look too deeply into the LED offerings. I'm sure eventually I'll end up swapping out the studio strobes for LED. Just not any time soon.

Here's a fish photo.

Greggz, evil8 and minorhero like this.

-Dennis
WATER BOX CLEAR PRO 6025 (143 gallons) | 3x GHL MITRAS LX7004 LED | 2x OASE BIOMASTER THERMO | GHL PROFILUX 4 CONTROLLER | GHL DOSER 2.1 | CO2 ART PRO ELITE REGULATOR | NILOCG NA ADVANCED CO2 REACTOR

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 03:38 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
My biggest issue when photographing my fish right now is dealing with glare.
This is a relatively easy problem to resolve. Turn off the room lights so that the tank light is your only light source and don't use the flash on the camera. Either put the flash above the tank. That should elliiate most glare.

If the tank light is bright enough or you use a flash above the tank you should be able to use a low iso setting which reduces sensor noise.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 11:54 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surf View Post
This is a relatively easy problem to resolve. Turn off the room lights so that the tank light is your only light source and don't use the flash on the camera. Either put the flash above the tank. That should elliiate most glare.

If the tank light is bright enough or you use a flash above the tank you should be able to use a low iso setting which reduces sensor noise.
Ahh if it only it were so easy. My tanks are in rooms with windows. And my fish bowl has the additional problem of being a bowl, so light bounces off its surface really easily. It means that I need to take pictures only at night in a darkened room. But by the time the sun goes down my wife is home and sitting in front of my tanks in the dark with a camera waiting for just the right moment to take a picture is not high on her lists of awesome evening activities... for some odd reason. ;P
ipkiss and evil8 like this.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 02:24 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by minorhero View Post
Ahh if it only it were so easy. My tanks are in rooms with windows. And my fish bowl has the additional problem of being a bowl, so light bounces off its surface really easily. It means that I need to take pictures only at night in a darkened room. But by the time the sun goes down my wife is home and sitting in front of my tanks in the dark with a camera waiting for just the right moment to take a picture is not high on her lists of awesome evening activities... for some odd reason. ;P
Hahahaha! Other than the bowl I've the same problem. My gf calls it "fish stalking".

I just got a used older f/2.8 100mm macro lens (on a Canon 80D) that I've yet to give a real test. I tried a quick snap last week, but it's not quite as sharp as I would like. I'll have to play around with it again over the weekend while my gf is out of town. Maybe try some video.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	black_neon_tetra.gif
Views:	5
Size:	329.4 KB
ID:	888437  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3 planted nano community fish tanks.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-29-2019, 03:15 PM
Pixel Prestidigitator

PTrader: (10/100%)
Hey Jeff you still shooting Pentax?

Dilution is the solution for the pollution.
Quote me as saying I was misquoted.
Once you get rid of integrity the rest is a piece of cake.
Here's to our wives and sweethearts - may they never meet.
If you agreed with me we'd both be right.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-29-2019, 04:13 PM
Wannabe Guru

My stuff is getting a little old (Canon 60d / Canon 60 macro), but they still work pretty well. Many times you don't even need OCF or any strobes if your using a fast lens and good aquarium light. Plus the newer bodies are great with high ISO and cropping. These were both taken with aquarium light only.

evil8 likes this.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-30-2019, 06:56 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraphicGr8s View Post
Hey Jeff you still shooting Pentax?

Yep.. "just" got a used K3..
Fantastic little camera..

No AA filter (emulated w/ shake if needed)..
FLU card for tethering (somewhat annoying software/system but fun)

Soo glad Hoya (as holes) spit them out to Ricoh..

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-30-2019, 07:21 PM
Wannabe Guru

This has become the unofficial Show Me your Black Neon Thread LOL

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode