The Planted Tank Forum banner

Reptile mesh top for tank?

4K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  germanblueramlover 
#1 ·
Has anybody here ever tried out using one of those mesh reptile lids for a fish tank lid instead of glass canopies?

I have seen in pictures people using them with just the back cut off for room for filtration and what not.

I really only use glass lids to keep fish from jumping out as it has never really helped me keep water from not evaporating. I always end up having to top the tank off anyways. I always also hated the black trim in the middle where the pieces of glass meet. Blocks out light.

#2 ·
Haven't used it personally, but there is also some diy kits for aquarium mesh tops and even more diy instructions online as well. Plus you can buy plastic tabs for glass lids on rimless tanks which look better than the black rimmed versions.

#7 ·
Just be mindful that they are metal and do rust.
Use a stainless steel screen. It does cost a little more but will last the life of the tank. Another option is to use fiberglass mesh sold for window screens. You can also bet nylon mesh but that would have to be attached to a ridged wood or plastic frame.

The things to keep in mind is evaporation and light loss. Anything between the light and water will block some of the light. Clear plastic or glass will block the least amount of light and will slow water evaporation the most. Mesh blocks more light and allows a faster evaporation. If evaporation is not an issue then you might have to make adjustments for the light loss.

#9 ·
I have one for my newt tank and haven’t noticed any rust issues. Works fine but the annoying thing is that it’s not hinged in the middle so you have to lift the whole thing off if you’re working on the tank. Some come with a small feeding door but I prefer a hinged top.

I use the screen to keep the newts in because they can squeeze through small openings.

#11 ·
I had one for two years. You can buy the stainless steel rails and mesh from amazon. There is a little pizza wheel tool that pushes the rubber into the rails and makes the net taught. I have a custom cut glass now, but the mesh did ok. The stainless will pit over time and look grimey with the minerals from the water.
Small fish can still die through the mesh. If your equpment setup is a problem i can recommend what I did, let me know. I was sort of kicking myself after I figured this out and 2x picking up a dojo loach and reviving her.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.