Filter suggestions for 40b - The Planted Tank Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 06:48 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Filter suggestions for 40b

I just picked up a 40b, not sure what I am going to put in it yet, it will be low tech planted.

I was thinking for the filter to go with a canister.

What do you guys suggest, I was thinking one of the new Fluval Canister filters such as the 407.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 06:56 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
I use a SunSun 303b on my 40 breeder and it's been great. I would say realistically the 307 would be sufficient for a 40 breeder, but the 407 wouldn't hurt either.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 08:57 PM
Algae Grower

Fx4 is top of the line.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 12:56 AM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (489/100%)
Do you have a budget in mind that you'd like to stick to? That'll help with different levels of recommendations.
varanidguy likes this.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 06:00 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (42/100%)
Eheim 2217. Had the Fx4 and it leaked. It felt cheap compared to Eheim.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 08:39 AM
Algae Grower

Fluval are always advancing their products. Eheim 2217 is on sale for $187 right now. If you choose to buy, but I still do research between the 2. If you care for cost efficient on electricity, any fx canister will beat its competitors.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 11:50 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishStix View Post
I just picked up a 40b, not sure what I am going to put in it yet, it will be low tech planted.

I was thinking for the filter to go with a canister.

What do you guys suggest, I was thinking one of the new Fluval Canister filters such as the 407.

Thanks
Canister filter is a good way to go. I am currently running this fellow on my 40b quarantine tank. Cheapest option out there and does a great job for that tank. If you shop around you will notice its the same filter as the sunsun. Just cheaper and with built in UV.

I haven't handled the fluvals but my understanding is their fit and finish is better, but you pay for it /shrug just depends on where your budget is.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 05:51 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I have the 307 on my 40B. Built a custom spray bar and suction, and changed out the ribbed lines. Does good so far (knock on wood). Media is easy to cut out of sheets of foam and what not (no complicated cuts or holes to make). In my case the flow is plenty but that could be debated I guess.

Got it 20% or 25% off preorder online from one of the "PET" store chains.

I previously had a Aquaclear 110 on it which also did a good job.

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 06:36 PM
Algae Grower

I'm running dual Fluval 207's on my 40B with two spray bars. One bar is pointed down the back wall and the other on the side going across the top. It seems to be working great so far. For a single filter I would go with either the Eheim 2217 or Fluval 307.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 07:21 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

It depends on the fish, but fx4 is a really nice filter I hear. I have a Penn Plax filter and it gets the job done but when you open the top, water spills out. The first time I did maintenance I forgot to close the water lines and made a huge mess lol. Other than than the little bit of water coming out, it is a great filter.

75 gallon planted tank. About to stock.
10 gallon QT

"Do not pray for an easy life. Pray for the strength to endure a difficult one” – Bruce Lee

75 gallon tank journal
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 08:17 PM
Algae Grower

I'm currently running a Marineland Magnaflow 220 on my 45 gallon. It's working pretty well, though I had some issues with burping, but I think that was caused by the stainless steel inflow pipe w/ surface skimmer. I replaced the ss pipes with a lilly glass set last weekend and so far so good.

I'd love to try the Oase Biomaster Thermo. The prefilter thing looks super easy to do maintenance on, but Oase is pricey and I'm not there yet. Maybe when I upgrade to a bigger tank.
sittinglynx likes this.

3 planted nano community fish tanks.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 09:13 PM
Wannabe Guru

407 would be great you just need to split output to 2 returns so each return is a gentler plant tank friendly flow and covers the whole footprint of tank with a evenly distributed current and no dead spots.

Throughput of 407 is roughly 245gph, split that in 2 and you’ve got a couple 120gph+ outputs, one to cover back half of 18” tank other to blow around front wall.
varanidguy and sittinglynx like this.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 11:22 PM
Algae Grower

I love my Marineland Magnum 350s. I bought my 1st one in 92, and the 2nd in maybe 98 and they both still work fine. Of course you'd have to find one used, but they are well built and parts are still obtainable.

"The Sea, the great unifier, is man's only hope. Now, as never before, the old phrase has literal meaning: We are all in the same boat" -Jacques Yves Cousteau
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-18-2019, 01:06 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Cobalt EXT. I’ve got them on two 40 breeders. Easiest canister to clean, in my experience.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-23-2019, 11:36 PM
Algae Grower

I had an ehiem and aquaclear on my 40B before I moved; but for my recent tanks I've been using corner mittenburg filters and been extremely happy with them - i stick the heater in the corner where it isn't visible and they've been quite effective (cavet oldest tank with one is only 2 months old). I picked them up here:
Cornerfilter Shop - SWISSTROPICALS
---
as for the aquaclear 70 and eheim 2217 - well i used both because i had the hob first and then picked up the canister - not that happy with the aquaclear even if it is well reviewed - it just doesn't seem that great - the flow is strong but the media is quite small - less than a decent sponge filter. The eheim works well but it is expensive and a pia to clean (i tend to clean mine about once every 4 or 5 months).

---

Last edited by jake21; 10-24-2019 at 01:01 AM. Reason: removing double post

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode