Does anyone here use a webcam on their tank(s)? - The Planted Tank Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Econde
  • 1 Post By Trailmixguy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 03:15 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Does anyone here use a webcam on their tank(s)?

Hello,

I've been toying with the idea of putting a webcam on at least one of my tanks. I was curious to see if anyone here has already done so and what camera they are running, issues they resolved and how they like it. Does your webcam service require a continuous stream? How much bandwidth do you use? Can you see your tank(s) on your smart phone?

Thank!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3 planted nano community fish tanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 03:20 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Well I kind of have one. But mainly its for home security. I use a Zmodo Pivot. I can "see" my tank but not necessarily see details inside. I can tell it hasn't erupted and leaking all over the place.

Bandwidth wise, we had it on comcast before 75Mbps and it worked fine. Also using a TP-Link ac1200 router. Now we use I3(fiber) 150Mpbs and Tp-Link ac1750. Everything worked just fine with it.

Don't mind the mess. I'm currently at work.

evil8 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

20g Long -Retired
10g Betta tank -Retired
1.1 Gallon Vase -Retired
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 06:27 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Econde View Post
Well I kind of have one. But mainly its for home security. I use a Zmodo Pivot. I can "see" my tank but not necessarily see details inside. I can tell it hasn't erupted and leaking all over the place.

Bandwidth wise, we had it on comcast before 75Mbps and it worked fine. Also using a TP-Link ac1200 router. Now we use I3(fiber) 150Mpbs and Tp-Link ac1750. Everything worked just fine with it.
Thanks. My gf wants home security camera and I want something like the ring doorbell, but what I want to do for this conversation is to have access to live video of my tanks and share the web link with my son in Phoenix. I'm on a special pricing ISP package for 12mbps up/down. With everything connecting to my WiFi I'm starting to push what I can connect and keep running. LOL and I may have to go up a package or change ISP soon which isn't a bad thing.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 06:34 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by evil8 View Post
Thanks. My gf wants home security camera and I want something like the ring doorbell, but what I want to do for this conversation is to have access to live video of my tanks and share the web link with my son in Phoenix. I'm on a special pricing ISP package for 12mbps up/down. With everything connecting to my WiFi I'm starting to push what I can connect and keep running. LOL and I may have to go up a package or change ISP soon which isn't a bad thing.
I believe 12Mbps up/down should work just fine. It'll take a little bit longer to load up, but once connected, should be okay. Especially if its like a 720p cam or even 1080p cam.

Our zmodo has options to share with people via the zmodo app. There are more elegant solutions out there, but I don't see how your current package wouldn't handle a couple cameras. It should only use up bandwidth when you're viewing it, and probably when it uploads video if you have a subscription.

Just to be safe, contact your ISP and see what they recommend.

20g Long -Retired
10g Betta tank -Retired
1.1 Gallon Vase -Retired
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 07:28 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Econde View Post
I believe 12Mbps up/down should work just fine.

It should only use up bandwidth when you're viewing it, and probably when it uploads video if you have a subscription.

Just to be safe, contact your ISP and see what they recommend.
Okay. Great! Thanks for the input.

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 05:35 AM
Algae Grower

I have one of my Arlos pointed at mine. I can watch it live from around the world. Best of all I can monitor if the neighbor's kid is feeding them when he should be since it is triggered by motion.
evil8 likes this.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 09:44 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailmixguy View Post
I have one of my Arlos pointed at mine. I can watch it live from around the world. Best of all I can monitor if the neighbor's kid is feeding them when he should be since it is triggered by motion.
You can get an autofeeder for that.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 08:43 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailmixguy View Post
Thanks. I'll certainly check it out.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-18-2019, 06:11 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
You should check out Wyze, the cameras are really cheap and sold at home depot, the only issue is there is not web app, they are smartphone only, but if you son has a smartphone you can share the feed with him.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode