• 1 Post By talontsiawd
  • 1 Post By talontsiawd

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-13-2019, 07:02 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
UNS 60s

Does anyone have this tank?

Seems like this would be a perfect tank for doing the "pond aquarium" style with both emerged and submersed plants.

But, I think about other considerations like lighting and filtration/circulation and think: those considerations and cost may take out all the enjoyment.

Something like this:

https://www.reddit.com/r/PlantedTank...nk_with_eheim/

https://buceplant.com/blogs/news/a-q...hrimpery-on-ig

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-13-2019, 09:56 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (489/100%)
I have the ADA version along with the 45cm ADA tank - the 45-F. Their dimensions aren't identical but they're pretty close. Also have a couple Aquatop and other OEM tank resellers' models that I like a lot.

If you're considering one, my recommendation is to shop around. Check as many vendors as possible. See if a local shop can get the tank for you. Also check marine/reef retailers to see what they've got in terms of high-clarity tanks. AFA in San Francisco almost always has a ton of interesting tanks.

When it comes to a pond setup? I'm partial to the smaller 45cm tank because it's easier to move around and easier to place in terms of furniture and tank stands. If I were using one of them for fish, I'd go with the 60cm for sure. Still a bit too shallow for my taste to house anything other than shrimp or micro crabs. But great for emersed growth setups.

Both are surprisingly easy to filter and create flow. I have a small Eheim canister that I use on my 45 in conjunction with a DIY spray bar. I think a small HOB filter would work well, though. A ton of flow isn't absolutely necessary. Same is true for the 60.

Lighting is equally simple. When I got my first 45-F, I had to scour fleabay and get creative with LEDs. Now it's easy and a lot cheaper. Everything from PAR bulbs to specialized fixtures like the Fluval Plant Nano 3.0.
Discusluv likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-13-2019, 10:10 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
I have the ADA version along with the 45cm ADA tank - the 45-F. Their dimensions aren't identical but they're pretty close. Also have a couple Aquatop and other OEM tank resellers' models that I like a lot.

If you're considering one, my recommendation is to shop around. Check as many vendors as possible. See if a local shop can get the tank for you. Also check marine/reef retailers to see what they've got in terms of high-clarity tanks. AFA in San Francisco almost always has a ton of interesting tanks.

When it comes to a pond setup? I'm partial to the smaller 45cm tank because it's easier to move around and easier to place in terms of furniture and tank stands. If I were using one of them for fish, I'd go with the 60cm for sure. Still a bit too shallow for my taste to house anything other than shrimp or micro crabs. But great for emersed growth setups.

Both are surprisingly easy to filter and create flow. I have a small Eheim canister that I use on my 45 in conjunction with a DIY spray bar. I think a small HOB filter would work well, though. A ton of flow isn't absolutely necessary. Same is true for the 60.

Lighting is equally simple. When I got my first 45-F, I had to scour fleabay and get creative with LEDs. Now it's easy and a lot cheaper. Everything from PAR bulbs to specialized fixtures like the Fluval Plant Nano 3.0.
Oh great! Thank you, Jake. This is definitely not a project am going to do anytime soon. But one will slowly put together over the upcoming year.

Its good to know that these types of tanks can be done without breaking the bank with lighting and filtration.

I would also like to do a stand with it; but, something unconventional- but, sturdy. So, will take some time deciding what that would be.

That would make a nice trip to go check out AFA in San Francisco for tanks such as these. I really enjoyed looking at the stores in San Jose-- great idea!

Dont want it with fish, no. I have enough fish tanks- would just be shrimp.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-13-2019, 10:24 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (489/100%)
You're in a part of the country where it's probably possible to find similar tanks for cheap. Especially shallow "frag" tanks that are typically used for coral fragments.

Since you're not in a hurry, just keep an eye out for tanks like that (even used frag tanks can be terrific) and snag one if you see them at a nice price.

I'm in the market for something similar but rimmed so it can be covered. A classic "half ten" - essentially a standard 10-gallon aquarium cut in half.
Discusluv likes this.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 12:05 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
I don't own one but two youtube scapers recently got that tank / similar tank. Rachel O'Leary got this tank professionally scaped recently on her channel. Its a type of scape I had never heard of before called a penjing.

The other one is not quite the same tank, its very similar but slightly smaller. Foo The Flowerhorn just started a new project with one. So far there is only one video up for it but it looks to be a very interesting project. This is a youtuber that is famous for his Walstad tanks.

I agree the tank definitely lends itself to emersed growth.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 04:16 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Have u looked at the landen tanks? They sell on Amazon with shipping included for a good price compared to some of the others and the quality looks good. Was looking at the 17g to replace my 10g

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 04:20 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusluv View Post
Oh great! Thank you, Jake. This is definitely not a project am going to do anytime soon. But one will slowly put together over the upcoming year.

Its good to know that these types of tanks can be done without breaking the bank with lighting and filtration.

I would also like to do a stand with it; but, something unconventional- but, sturdy. So, will take some time deciding what that would be.

That would make a nice trip to go check out AFA in San Francisco for tanks such as these. I really enjoyed looking at the stores in San Jose-- great idea!
I have gotten back in the hobby and being that I am in Oakland, CA, Aqua Forest Aqurium (and Albany Aquarium) are the best stores for planted tanks. Aqua Forest has been doing these tanks in all sorts of sizes on display. It really sold me on this design, I have seen many variations, especially with larger/shallow tanks and I felt they looked too massive and took to much consideration for lighting that what appealed to me. If you can make it out there, not only can you see a bunch of gorgeous stuff, but they have setups of many sizes (all small) that really have a nice design, but even for Aqua Forest, will not break the bank or be too imposing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post

I would want a 45 F or smaller if I went this way. I kind of already described above but seeing small styles of this tank was very appealing. Having a 60p, the footprint is something where you need a dedicated stand, a dedicated place, where a 45 F (or smaller) could be placed anywhere, can really fit into any room, and still has a lot of "depth" in the look, due to the many layers in and outside of the tank. A member had a huge shallow half or quarter cube, in think 36 inch square foot print, seen it many times in person and though it fit his space very well, I don't think larger is better, depending on if you like your setup to be part of the room, or the focal point in the room. Living in the Bay Area, smaller always makes sense with the prices and cost of living, it is hard to rent or own a large space, but even if I had it, I would love one of these tanks for the kitchen or something.
Discusluv likes this.

-Matt

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 05:24 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by talontsiawd View Post
I have gotten back in the hobby and being that I am in Oakland, CA, Aqua Forest Aqurium (and Albany Aquarium) are the best stores for planted tanks. Aqua Forest has been doing these tanks in all sorts of sizes on display. It really sold me on this design, I have seen many variations, especially with larger/shallow tanks and I felt they looked too massive and took to much consideration for lighting that what appealed to me. If you can make it out there, not only can you see a bunch of gorgeous stuff, but they have setups of many sizes (all small) that really have a nice design, but even for Aqua Forest, will not break the bank or be too imposing.

I would want a 45 F or smaller if I went this way. I kind of already described above but seeing small styles of this tank was very appealing. Having a 60p, the footprint is something where you need a dedicated stand, a dedicated place, where a 45 F (or smaller) could be placed anywhere, can really fit into any room, and still has a lot of "depth" in the look, due to the many layers in and outside of the tank. A member had a huge shallow half or quarter cube, in think 36 inch square foot print, seen it many times in person and though it fit his space very well, I don't think larger is better, depending on if you like your setup to be part of the room, or the focal point in the room. Living in the Bay Area, smaller always makes sense with the prices and cost of living, it is hard to rent or own a large space, but even if I had it, I would love one of these tanks for the kitchen or something.
Thanks for the recommendation of Albany aquarium-- have heard of it before, but not as a store with tanks such as these. Ill definitely stop by there as well.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 05:56 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Thanks for the recommendation of Albany aquarium-- have heard of it before, but not as a store with tanks such as these. Ill definitely stop by there as well.
Sorry, I was just saying Albany Aquarium is a great resource for planted tanks. They have definitely moved to carrying rimless tanks but not in these sizes. Aqua Forest had plenty last time, and not just ADA tanks. I will probably go this week so I can hopefully snap some pictures for you. I do recommend Albany, however, for other general planted tank needs.
Discusluv likes this.

-Matt

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 07:01 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Sorry, I was just saying Albany Aquarium is a great resource for planted tanks. They have definitely moved to carrying rimless tanks but not in these sizes. Aqua Forest had plenty last time, and not just ADA tanks. I will probably go this week so I can hopefully snap some pictures for you. I do recommend Albany, however, for other general planted tank needs.
Oh, okay- thank you for clarifying that concerning Albany Aquarium. I would love to see some photos if you end up going to Aqua Forest-- thank you for the offer.

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 06:48 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Oh, okay- thank you for clarifying that concerning Albany Aquarium. I would love to see some photos if you end up going to Aqua Forest-- thank you for the offer.
Unfortunately, there was only one tank of the style you asked for. They seemed to have taken down a few. They did have wasa kusa style aquariums though. Anyway, this nano is super simple and elegant, I attached the others as well.

Not sure why some are sideways, they are not on my phone nor my desktop but I can screen shot them and repost if nee be.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0131.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	352.3 KB
ID:	888289  

Name:	IMG_0132.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	327.8 KB
ID:	888291  

Name:	IMG_0133.jpg
Size:	408.7 KB
ID:	888293  

Name:	IMG_0134.jpg
Size:	516.8 KB
ID:	888295  

Name:	IMG_0135.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	241.1 KB
ID:	888297  

Discusluv likes this.

-Matt

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 02:05 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Unfortunately, there was only one tank of the style you asked for. They seemed to have taken down a few. They did have wasa kusa style aquariums though. Anyway, this nano is super simple and elegant, I attached the others as well.

Not sure why some are sideways, they are not on my phone nor my desktop but I can screen shot them and repost if nee be.
Thank you for the photos @talontsiawd ! Those tanks are amazing- full of great ideas. Looks like I need to make a trip- for sure

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode