What timer for co2 injection ? - The Planted Tank Forum
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-11-2019, 01:14 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
What timer for co2 injection ?

What timer do folks recommend for a co2 injection system that is reliable and handles power outages (in my case i would want it to stay off until reset since the fluval lights stay off ) or do people recommend a ph controller and if a ph controller is there one that doesn't have to be constantly recalibrated ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-11-2019, 01:43 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

If you want to go all out on control and monitoring, Apex EL. I haven't used it for CO2, but you could do both scheduling and pH-based actions. You can also hook it up to a UPS and detect when it goes on battery backup, so you can prioritize your powered devices. It looks expensive, but you are buying insurance.

Style: Organic soil, sand, gravel, plants, moss, algae, snails, shrimp, small fish
Tech: Fluval Plant Nano, Top Fin MF10, Tunze 3161, Apex EL
Tanks:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-11-2019, 02:46 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I use smart plugs. Cheap, unlimited customization. Can be controlled from anywhere in the world you have an internet connection.
novitt, Immortal1, evil8 and 1 others like this.

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-11-2019, 06:21 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

$500 seems excessive for a timer for a freshwater tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streetwise View Post
If you want to go all out on control and monitoring, Apex EL. I haven't used it for CO2, but you could do both scheduling and pH-based actions. You can also hook it up to a UPS and detect when it goes on battery backup, so you can prioritize your powered devices. It looks expensive, but you are buying insurance.
Bump: A particular brand ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by minorhero View Post
I use smart plugs. Cheap, unlimited customization. Can be controlled from anywhere in the world you have an internet connection.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-11-2019, 06:52 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by minorhero View Post
I like that idea
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-11-2019, 12:12 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Yes but which one is reliable - when i checked amazon most have at least 20% bad reviews and nearly all have at least 10% bad reviews - many due to failures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevewb View Post
I like that idea
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-11-2019, 12:30 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I think most of that is due to people having bad routers. The thing has to connect to a router to work and if your router is prone to dropping connections then the plug will fail from time to time. I have good success with the tp link brand. I am using this one on my spec V. And I am using this one on my quarantine tank.

The latter covers up both sockets though so in my opinion the former is superior.

/shrug its working for me. Though when I build my 120 gallon high tech I plan to use a smart power strip instead.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-11-2019, 01:17 PM
Planted Member

I use the Kasa plugs too. They work great and hold their on/off schedule even when power is lost.
Immortal1 and evil8 like this.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-11-2019, 01:55 PM
Algae Grower

I currently use this one. Seemed a cheap option to control both light and CO2 solenoid independently. The switch aspect of this timer has worked flawlessly for me but it does not keep time well. Would estimate it looses maybe a half hour over three weeks. Really like minorhero's smart power strip option.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-11-2019, 02:48 PM
Algae Grower

I have some TP-Link smart plugs I really like, but right now I have my living rm tank equipment on a smart power strip. I have been running it since March without any issues. I can plug everything into it, label them in the smart phone app and set timers for each plugin independently. I can turn also turn off everything at once or independently too. It's the Tekin Multiple Outlet Surge Protector Smart Power Strip WiFi Plug. I guess I could also connect it to Alexa if I needed it to, but I don't.

3 planted nano community fish tanks.
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-11-2019, 09:19 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks everyone - the TP-Link sounds like what I need - the co2 probably requires less than 10 amp - the lights are fluval plant 3.0 and have their own timer so I just need the one socket.
-

How long have you had it ? That was one of the devices i checked before my post that had what I considered a high failure rate (not immediate but frequently with-in a year) from reviews.

Quote:
Originally Posted by schooldazed View Post
I currently use this one. Seemed a cheap option to control both light and CO2 solenoid independently. The switch aspect of this timer has worked flawlessly for me but it does not keep time well. Would estimate it looses maybe a half hour over three weeks. Really like minorhero's smart power strip option.

Last edited by Darkblade48; 10-12-2019 at 09:54 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-11-2019, 10:22 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by jake21 View Post
How long have you had it ? That was one of the devices i checked before my post that had what I considered a high failure rate (not immediate but frequently with-in a year) from reviews.
I've had a Planted 3.0 running since April. It's been dipped in the tank a couple of times now too and it's still running great. My gf purchased it from Aquarium Co-Op for my birthday gift.
jake21 likes this.

3 planted nano community fish tanks.
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-12-2019, 03:19 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Yes but which one is reliable - when i checked amazon most have at least 20% bad reviews and nearly all have at least 10% bad reviews - many due to failures.
As an IT professional I totally agree with @minorhero, most issues people have with WiFi smart plugs is bad routers and WiFi interference from neighborhood routers. Regular consumers who don't understand this stuff will blame the plug. I use Geeni smart plug and looking towards getting a 30$ Geeni 6 outlet power strip.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Immortal1 likes this.
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-12-2019, 05:20 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (489/100%)
If you have Amazon Prime, be sure to check your account/check Amazon-branded smart plugs. Some accounts can buy a smart plug for $5. I currently have a ton of TP-Link/Kasa but snagged an Amazon plug a couple weeks ago because of the price.

If you have multiple fixtures you need to put on a timer, be sure to check out the TP-Link/Kasa dual plug unit. Add it to your cart and leave it there if money is tight - watch for price drops. I got a couple for $14 this summer when the price unexpectedly dropped from $30.

As for failing? I've been running them since 2016 and haven't had an issue yet. (This means I second the bit about folks having crap router situations)

The only issue I've ever had is with smart bulbs that turn on at full brightness after a power outage... at 3:00 A.M.
Immortal1 and evil8 like this.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-13-2019, 03:29 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
$500 seems excessive for a timer for a freshwater tank.
True. These systems are excessive and overkill until they are not. Just like insurance.

For my day job, I run a few dozen wifi access points, supporting tons of devices, and lots of clients, etc.

I looked at the various smart plugs, but I didn't want to give my data away to control devices.

Style: Organic soil, sand, gravel, plants, moss, algae, snails, shrimp, small fish
Tech: Fluval Plant Nano, Top Fin MF10, Tunze 3161, Apex EL
Tanks:
|
|
|
|
|

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode