6Likes
  • 5 Post By Quint
  • 1 Post By DaveKS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-07-2019, 11:56 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Canister filter with 1/2" O.D hoses?

I'm looking for a canister filter that has 1/2" outer diameter hoses if one exists (I have no clue about canisters) as there are 2 holes pre-drilled in my used stand presumably for a canister. I tried to fit 1/2" I.D, 5/8" O.D hoses in the holes but they don't fit just by a few mm. Thanks for any help !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-07-2019, 12:48 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

You should definitely just go to your hardware store and buy appropriate hose Barbs / reducer to convert your canister filter hoses down to the correct size. It will be cheap, effective, and a lot easier.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-07-2019, 03:21 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Why not drill out the holes in the stand to a larger diameter? Would be the easiest and cheapest route I would think.
deeda, Jeff5614, Oughtsix and 2 others like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-07-2019, 03:26 PM
Wannabe Guru

If you use a reducer you’ll be cutting canisters output.
Ravynn likes this.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-07-2019, 06:30 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

True but unless he drills larger holes the alternative is to use smaller size canister which would have lower output anyway.

And unless he already owns the correct size diamond hole saw and bulkheads, the cheapest route is still going to be to put a reducer on and call it day. For under 10 dollars could have the job done.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-07-2019, 06:51 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravynn View Post
I'm looking for a canister filter that has 1/2" outer diameter hoses if one exists (I have no clue about canisters) as there are 2 holes pre-drilled in my used stand presumably for a canister. I tried to fit 1/2" I.D, 5/8" O.D hoses in the holes but they don't fit just by a few mm. Thanks for any help !
Is this a Nano tank? 1/2" od tubing is really small and won't have much flow. What is your stand made out of? I would drill out the 1/2" holes to 5/8" if your tank is anything larger than a 10g tank.

Last edited by Oughtsix; 10-09-2019 at 05:59 PM. Reason: sp
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-07-2019, 07:19 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
The holes are not in the tank, they are in the stand so I don't know why they would need to buy a diamond hole saw.

Dee
Eheim Pimpette #270
Eheim Pro II 2028; Classics Series -2215, 2217, 2260, 2262; Pro 2229 Wet/Dry
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 09:06 AM
Planted Member

Ehiem 2215 has 1/2 inch hose.

But opening up the holes makes sense to me.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 02:42 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbubba001 View Post
Ehiem 2215 has 1/2 inch hose.

But opening up the holes makes sense to me.
1/2" ID or 1/2" OD? Big difference which is what the OP is running into.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 03:04 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Easiest route would be to drill larger holes as mentioned, or just use a jigsaw to cut both holes out to make it an elongated opening (which is my preference anyways)

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 06:31 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd
Quote:
Originally Posted by jinx© View Post
Easiest route would be to drill larger holes as mentioned, or just use a jigsaw to cut both holes out to make it an elongated opening (which is my preference anyways)
I was going to suggest the same thing. I have Eheim 12/16 hose which is typically interchangeable with what is advertised as 1/2 in hose. Note: 1/2 in tubing typically reflects ID, not OD but it depends on the application. If it is aquarium tubing, it means ID which is 13mm.

I drilled my holes with what looks to be a 1 1/2 in hole saw, which has grommets typically used on desks. The hole size with the grommet is 1 1/4 inch but my tubing is still slightly kinked. The whole should be much bigger for the OP. Unless some really good S bend is used, the holes are too small, even if the tubing is smaller.

I would find the appropriate size grommet and cut elongated holes. I would then use something like this, but in the size that fits your application, I am just using this as an example of the type of grommet I would personally use: https://www.amazon.com/Large-Plastic...1116979&sr=8-6

If your stand is real wood and solid wood, you don't need the grommet if you can match the stain or paint, but I still think it looks better with it.

I would not use smaller tubing in general, and in this situation, it's a pretty easy fix. I imagine these holes are not for canister filters but airlines.

-Matt

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode