3Likes
  • 2 Post By minorhero
  • 1 Post By jeffkrol

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-04-2019, 12:42 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Remove the plastic rim from tank?

I found a 55 gallon used Visio tank in my neighborhood. What a deal! (Unless it doesn't hold water). My question is this. Can I remove the cheap plastic rim around the top with out sacrificing strength or stability? The corners are mitered and don't seen to be joined in any way, so it doesn't look like the corners are helping to hold the glass together. Anybody have experience doing this?
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-04-2019, 01:09 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

The corners are split at the top but are they split around the side? It would be a very odd 55 with a purely decorative rim. Assuming not decorative then it's not advisable to remove it. On something like a 20 gallon and smaller you can get away with it. On anything bigger you start to hear horror stories.
Leeatl and [email protected] like this.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-04-2019, 01:57 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlatfishTanker View Post
My question is this. Can I remove the cheap plastic rim around the top with out sacrificing strength or stability?

Unlikely if it has a center brace..
Corners really don't matter..
It's the bow in the middle that's the issue..

If the glass is thicker than 7mm (check on the side) maybe..
Would need to be around 12mm (1/2" thick)
[email protected] likes this.

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure."

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-04-2019, 05:16 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Plastic Rim

It is definitely NOT supporting the corners. But there IS a center brace. It is glass and glued to the inside. I believe that could be replaced with a couple metal bars (Stainless) that lap over the front and back of the tank. Should be even stronger and could look pretty cool if done right. But now I wonder what the glass edges are going to be like under the plastic rim. Are they going to be raw and jagged, or polished like the exposed sides? By the way, the glass is 3/8" thick.
Attached Images

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-04-2019, 05:48 PM
Planted Tank Guru

3/8 is sort of midway between free standing and braced..Thicker glass than my 55..

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure."
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-04-2019, 11:28 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Could aluminum corner molding be used to replace the plastic, or would the aluminum leach into the water?
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-05-2019, 05:21 AM
Pixel Prestidigitator

PTrader: (10/100%)
That looks like an Oceanic tank. My 75 has the glass brace. Trim, as far as I can tell, is decorative. If you want to remove trim from a standard tank you can use a glass center brace just like that tank.

Dilution is the solution for the pollution.
Quote me as saying I was misquoted.
Once you get rid of integrity the rest is a piece of cake.
Here's to our wives and sweethearts - may they never meet.
If you agreed with me we'd both be right.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-06-2019, 01:17 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I've heard the edges under plastic rims are usually not very pretty, and not rounded off. But you could try removing it carefully to see what you get.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 06:03 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd
Most people on the board say its fine to do a 5 or 10 gallon. A few of us have gone larger, like 20 longs or 29 gallon but I personally have not seen people go bigger with tanks that had a factory rim. Many feel that size is too big, and the center brace would be an issue. However, some think that the rims are more for production and also covering up the not so pretty silicone and have little structure. I really don't know but it seems like it can make sense.

What I will say is that taking the rim off is a total pain. Getting the rim off is easy, getting all the silicone off is where it gets really tedious. You will also want to go over the edges with very fine sandpaper, maybe start with 600 and move to 2000 to get a clean, not sharp, finished edge. Considering the tank size, especially length, and the age of the tank, I would be more inclined to buy a new rim. I forget who sells them but I know they are out there.

-Matt

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 09:07 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by talontsiawd View Post
Most people on the board say its fine to do a 5 or 10 gallon. A few of us have gone larger, like 20 longs or 29 gallon but I personally have not seen people go bigger with tanks that had a factory rim. Many feel that size is too big, and the center brace would be an issue. However, some think that the rims are more for production and also covering up the not so pretty silicone and have little structure. I really don't know but it seems like it can make sense.

What I will say is that taking the rim off is a total pain. Getting the rim off is easy, getting all the silicone off is where it gets really tedious. You will also want to go over the edges with very fine sandpaper, maybe start with 600 and move to 2000 to get a clean, not sharp, finished edge. Considering the tank size, especially length, and the age of the tank, I would be more inclined to buy a new rim. I forget who sells them but I know they are out there.

After re-reading the thread a bit, couple of things:
Tank has a glass center brace.. Plastic is mostly decorative.

Glass is thinner than some would consider acceptable for non-braced tank.. by about 1/8"..
Standard plastic braced 55's have thinner glass..

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 09:31 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
I've removed the black rim on top of my old 20 gallon long. I kept the bottom. Anyway here's a link of how to do it.

Also a glass thickness calculator link. https://www.easycalculation.com/meas...calculator.php

20g Long -Retired
10g Betta tank -Retired
1.1 Gallon Vase -Retired

Last edited by Econde; 10-14-2019 at 09:34 PM. Reason: New Link
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 06:13 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkrol View Post
After re-reading the thread a bit, couple of things:
Tank has a glass center brace.. Plastic is mostly decorative.

Glass is thinner than some would consider acceptable for non-braced tank.. by about 1/8"..
Standard plastic braced 55's have thinner glass..
I missed the part with the center brace, that would be my main concern. I also just have never heard of that size tank with a decorative rim. The glass looks very thick.

I never want to say something is a good idea off of photos and descriptions but with a center brace, it sounds like it is truly a decorative trim, rather than any sort of structural brace. Thank you for the corrections.

-Matt

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode