40B tank Aquaclear 70 - The Planted Tank Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 10:09 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
40B tank Aquaclear 70

On a 40 breeder planted tank, do you think someone could get away with using just one AC 70 power filter? Or would two be better? I had two AC 70s on an old 60 which is a bigger tank volume/height-wise, but the 40B is smaller both in volume and height as well as having no center brace so the filter could be placed directly in the middle for even flow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 10:43 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
AC 70's were always my go-to on 40 breeders with fish. I ran two or one and a small powerhead. It's a good bit a flow these put out, but with the hardscape and plants blocking flow we tend to have, moving water in another area might be prudent.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 11:28 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I also have a Koralia powerhead if I need to use one.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 06:01 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

The only problem I have with the AC 70 is that I'd like to keep my tank as close to the wall as possible. It sticks out considerably since its so bulky. Putting them on the sides wont work either since I want to use a glass lid with the tank and it wont fit in there like that with the lighting as well either. I thought using two smaller Aquaclear filters like the 30 or the 50, but they are both still fairly bulky. I prefer HOB and would prefer to use one large rated one. I will not go the canister route.

How well do sponge filters work?Anybody have any suggestions?
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 06:16 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Sponge filters "work," but unless you have a *really* powerful air pump, don't move nearly as much water as a HOB.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 06:42 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Hmmm.. Not entirely sure what route to go then! Maybe I will look into dual Aquaclear 30s possibly.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 06:57 PM
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (123/100%)
Forget the 30s, too small, go with two 50s as a bare minimum. Personally I'd use two 70s. One dead center might get by, but there'd probably be a dead spot on the far right (opposite the intake tube which will be off-centered to the left)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 07:00 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
If you insist on HoB filters, I 100% agree with Burr. However, in my experience, a SunSun 303b is perfect for a 40 breeder, if you're willing to use a canister filter.

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 07:21 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Not going the canister route. I dont have the time or desire to contribute to cleaning/setting up a canister. Cascade also makes decent HOB filters that I have used in the past that filter the water pretty good and are very quiet. The 300 model filters 75-100 gallon tanks and is currently only 30 dollars on amazon.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 08:40 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

2x Aquaclear 50 would be my choice. Thatís 400gph total turnover in tank so hits my 8-10x rule. In 40b Iíd probably cut them down a bit.

With 2-200gph you cover more area of tank, less chance of dead spots, each output is a gentler more plant tank friendly 200gph or less output so plants donít get blown sideways and also more small fish friendly. And with 2 filters you can alternate cleanings so bacterial load and filter efficiency stays more constant.

In a planted tank I donít want anything with over about 200gph output blowing into tank, itís just to aggressive.

One AC50 and one powerhead 30 would also cover tank nicely if you set up flows so they work together to get current rotating in tank. That would give you over 9x turnover in tank circulation.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 11:46 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

So you think two AC 70 would be too much then? I did have two on a 60 tall which is a 21 inch tall 40B, but theres a lot more volume/space in there. I never had a problem with it though.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 05:28 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackheart View Post
So you think two AC 70 would be too much then? I did have two on a 60 tall which is a 21 inch tall 40B, but theres a lot more volume/space in there. I never had a problem with it though.

I think two 70ís would be fine also, since you can reduce the flow if necessary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 12:38 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by burr740 View Post
Forget the 30s, too small, go with two 50s as a bare minimum. Personally I'd use two 70s. One dead center might get by, but there'd probably be a dead spot on the far right (opposite the intake tube which will be off-centered to the left)

Twin AC70s was my first thought as well. It will be a lot of flow for a tank that size, but if adjusting to minimum flow is not sufficient, you could always swap in impellers from AC50s if necessary for further reduction. I used an AC70 on a 20 gallon with an AC30 impeller for a couple years. The motors for AC filters are the same (except for the 110) they just use different impellers. If you ever go for a bigger size tank, having more flexible equipment is better than having to buy more. Having greater flexibility by buying oversized equipment has saved me a good bit of money later when I upgraded tanks.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 02:16 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (487/100%)
Setting up and running a canister is really no more difficult than maintaining a hang-on-back filter. If anything, they're easier because you don't have to reach behind a tank and just use quick disconnects for quick maintenance. Generally quieter than HOBs, as well.

If you're set on HOBs, I wouldn't go any smaller than two AC70s. That gives you plenty of room for filter media and gives you plenty of options. Parts are also cheap and easy to come by.

I have two AC70s on a 20gal long and think the setup would work well for a 40B.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 07:31 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
I have two AC70s on a 20gal long and think the setup would work well for a 40B.
Huh. Do you have those set to minimal flow? I have an AC50 and an AC20 on one tank, and I have to set the 50 at half flow to keep fish from being blown around.

----
2x20-longs, one heavily planted. Platy rancher. They. Won't. Stop. Breeding.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode