Glass Lily Pipes with Surface Skimmer - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 08:52 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Glass Lily Pipes with Surface Skimmer

I am trying to decide on what brand of lily pipe to go with. Should I go with a surface slimmer or buy a standard lily pipe? What brand of
Glass lily pipe should I look to purchase?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 06:00 PM
Planted Member

I've had both JARDLI (cheap off of Amazon) and Cal Aqua pipes (expensive). Both were nice and the JARDLI may be more durable (I broke my Cal Aqua inflow the first time I tried to take it out for cleaning). I had the surface skimmer pipe in my previous tank, but I can't fit it in my new one, which isn't as tall. The surface skimmer was very effective, but in my tank I ended up having issues with it pulling air into my canister filter. Keep in mind that's my personal experience, which is likely due to my failure to tune it properly.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 06:14 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I also buy the cheap ones now. If you buy expensive more than likely you will eventually break it. I usually buy two pair. One against breakage and/or when they get dirty and you might not want to wait to clean them. You can also go with the stainless steel ones if those go with your setup.

I've never had the need for a surface skimmer.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 08:21 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks everyone!
Does anyone know anything about the dymax set? Pretty reasonable. $75 for both the inlet with a surface skimmer and outlet. I will have to go with the 17mm since the oase biomaster 600 thermo uses larger tubing.

If there is no really objection to the dymax I will give that a try and if I like it I will buy a second so that I can swap and clean in vinegar during a water change.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 12:02 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidGambit View Post
I've had both JARDLI (cheap off of Amazon) and Cal Aqua pipes (expensive). Both were nice and the JARDLI may be more durable (I broke my Cal Aqua inflow the first time I tried to take it out for cleaning). I had the surface skimmer pipe in my previous tank, but I can't fit it in my new one, which isn't as tall. The surface skimmer was very effective, but in my tank I ended up having issues with it pulling air into my canister filter. Keep in mind that's my personal experience, which is likely due to my failure to tune it properly.
This same thing just happened to me yesterday! I noticed that my Cal Aqua Labs intake tube was getting heavily clogged with plant debris, so I turned everything off and went to GENTLY disassemble it from the hose...and the glass tube just snapped in 2, cutting my hand very badly in the process. Now it's unusable, I'm out $80, and have a throbbing bandaged hand for my trouble.

A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty. Winston Churchill
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 01:08 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by makeme View Post
Quote:
This same thing just happened to me yesterday! I noticed that my Cal Aqua Labs intake tube was getting heavily clogged with plant debris, so I turned everything off and went to GENTLY disassemble it from the hose...and the glass tube just snapped in 2, cutting my hand very badly in the process. Now it's unusable, I'm out $80, and have a throbbing bandaged hand for my trouble. <a href="https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/images/PlantedTank_net_2015/smilies/tango_face_sad.png" border="0" alt="" title="Frown" >:-)</a>
That’s awful! I was looking at the Doaqua or the green leaf.
But i am interested in seeing what people have experienced with dymax.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 01:14 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
This same thing just happened to me yesterday! I noticed that my Cal Aqua Labs intake tube was getting heavily clogged with plant debris, so I turned everything off and went to GENTLY disassemble it from the hose...and the glass tube just snapped in 2, cutting my hand very badly in the process. Now it's unusable, I'm out $80, and have a throbbing bandaged hand for my trouble.
The same exact thing happened to me.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 01:17 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Quote:
This same thing just happened to me yesterday! I noticed that my Cal Aqua Labs intake tube was getting heavily clogged with plant debris, so I turned everything off and went to GENTLY disassemble it from the hose...and the glass tube just snapped in 2, cutting my hand very badly in the process. Now it's unusable, I'm out $80, and have a throbbing bandaged hand for my trouble. <a href="https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/images/PlantedTank_net_2015/smilies/tango_face_sad.png" border="0" alt="" title="Frown" >:-)</a>
The same exact thing happened to me.
Wow sensing a trend.

What does everyone thing think of the dymax lily pipes with surface skimmer
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 01:30 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Personally if the whole Dymax thing is glass I wouldn't use it. That would increase the chances of it breaking. I would keep it simple.

Also in case someone doesn't realize. When you remove the lily pipe from the tubing first push in toward the pipe (where the connection with the tubing is) and then put out. It usually breaks the seal and comes off easily. If you twist it your more likely to break it.

Also many times I don't even remove it from the tubing. With the eheim I detach it from the double tabs and then clean the lily pipe with a long thin brush. You can also can the tubing from the other end with the same brush.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 12:39 PM
Algae Grower

I have a two sets of Jardi glass. One regular and one "nano". Neither has the surface skimmer. I do have a set of stainless steel with the skimmer though and all of them were purchased off Amazon. I've had that first set of regular glass pipes since Christmas (a gift from my gf) and have cleaned them several times without issue. The nano pipes are less than a month old and not dirty yet. The stainless steel pipes are nice, but the skimmer does occasionally suck in some air when the tank level gets lower from evaporation.

Don't make things too complicated. Try to relax, enjoy every moment, get used to everything. - Angelique Kerber
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 01:21 PM
Algae Grower

The glass fixtures do look really nice, but I have been worried about the breakage risk as well. Cutting yourself and/or having broken glass in your aquarium plus having to replace the fixture is not particularly desirable. I just got the OASE 600 for my 75g that I am re-doing, and I'm really happy with the performance so far. The standard plastic fixtures are not eyesores at the present. We'll see if that remains true once I get some serious plant growth. Right now I just have a lonely clump of wisteria from the old set up.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 01:54 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for all of your replies. I am considering going with stainless steel pipes. I feel that if I go with clear glass lily pipes then I go with a Eheim skimmer, then I’m not really gaining anything.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 08:27 PM
Algae Grower

Glass vs steel

I had the same thought as you and went with stainless steel outflow and skimmer inflow. I feel like if you had those really expensive ADA canisters to match I might like it, but it really dominated the tank aesthetically. I have a 24" rimless cube, so maybe it was worse because of the tight length, but I hated how it looked. So I switched to Jardli glass and love it. So much nicer looking and does not demand my attention when trying to visually take in the whole scape.

Good luck either way!
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 02:37 PM
Wannabe Guru

All the stories of glass pipes breaking and causing cuts is exactly why I went with stainless steel. Also Jardli.

post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 04:14 PM
Algae Grower

I will say, even tho I didn't love the look of the steel on my tank, there are certainly some advantages. I have already had to clean my glass pipes a couple times as it cycled. Once for gunk, once for algae build up because light gets in, obviously. They are certainly more of a hassle than the steel pipes. Unless you really like the look of the glass pipes better, steel will be much easier to maintain.

Last edited by harris611; 08-14-2019 at 04:15 PM. Reason: typo

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode