• 1 Post By minorhero
  • 1 Post By Wobblebonk
  • 1 Post By Vinster8108

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 03:00 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)
Rimless Tank Repair -- Landen 90P

I purchased a Landen 90P (36x19x19") used off Facebook and unfortunately it has some minor damage... I have not tried to fill it yet, but I do think it will hold water. However, I doubt the structural integrity of the tank. Here's a link to a google drive with photos of the damage. It's the front left corner, only the left pane of glass is chipped.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...Zua1ZVSHlMSzNB

My thoughts are to remove the front pane of glass and re-attach it with new silicone.
Any thoughts, concerns or recommendations?

75g Tank Journal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Forest's Edge:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 03:12 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinster8108 View Post
I purchased a Landen 90P (36x19x19") used off Facebook and unfortunately it has some minor damage... I have not tried to fill it yet, but I do think it will hold water. However, I doubt the structural integrity of the tank. Here's a link to a google drive with photos of the damage. It's the front left corner, only the left pane of glass is chipped.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...Zua1ZVSHlMSzNB

My thoughts are to remove the front pane of glass and re-attach it with new silicone.
Any thoughts, concerns or recommendations?
So if you decide to take off one pane of glass you basically need to take the entire tank apart. The reason is that you will be creating a break in the silicone seal where that pane of glass meets the other panes. When you re-attach the glass with new silicone you will be putting new silicone in direct contact with old silicone that has already cured. That bond between the new silicone and the old will always be a poor bond.

That said, from what I can see the damage appears minor. The silicone seem appears to be intact. If it were my tank I would tape off the area really well then fill the chipped space with silicone, rub/scrape off any excess and make sure that corner was in the back of the aquarium so I couldn't see it. /shrug
Kubla likes this.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 03:13 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I mean you can check if it holds water... I don't think you can just resilicone a single pane though, new silicone won't bond to old silicone properly gotta redo the whole thing if it needs that...
aquaoz likes this.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 12:49 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Got it, yea I kinda figured as much. I thought maybe I could silicone the from pane on for structural reasons, then re-seal the inside so the silicone can create a water tight seal. Sort-of a way around the now/old issue @Wobblebonk @minorhero

Idk if I'd trust that corner by just filling it in. But, I suppose it would be stronger than not filling it. It's just a lot of water to have going everywhere in my finished basement haha

75g Tank Journal:

Forest's Edge:
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 02:06 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (492/100%)
Looks like someone slammed into the corner pretty hard or dropped the tank. Did the seller give you any details?

It's possible there's other damage elsewhere that you don't see (silicone loosening issues in other areas as a result of extreme force being placed on that corner, perhaps) right away.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 04:55 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

The tank was still in the shipping crate, but the crate was damaged badly. Sell purchased it from an auction of good -- I assume to be an amazon returns trailer. I gave it a good look over, didn't see any other issues other than what's shown

75g Tank Journal:

Forest's Edge:
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 09:44 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (492/100%)
I've damaged all kinds of tanks through the years and it's surprisingly difficult to mess silicone up like that. Even on cheap tanks.

If you want to risk it, do extensive leak testing (days, not hours) and examine silicone seams with magnification - before, during and after testing.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 01:53 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I think I will try to "patch" the chip part first. I'll fill it and double check it still holds water to make sure. If it holds, I'll scrape the broken glass out the best I can, clean all the lose silicone and then fill with new silicone. Fingers crossed lol.

75g Tank Journal:

Forest's Edge:
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 02:19 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinster8108 View Post
I think I will try to "patch" the chip part first. I'll fill it and double check it still holds water to make sure. If it holds, I'll scrape the broken glass out the best I can, clean all the lose silicone and then fill with new silicone. Fingers crossed lol.
I would just use a stiff (new) tooth brush to clean the broken part. Anything stronger and you risk messing with the silicone still present. /shrug never tried it but I would be super wary of breaking the seal as it were.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-07-2019, 04:10 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

The tank held water still, so I cleaned up all the broken bits and filled with new silicone to help hold that corner together. Tank is scaped and has been filled for over a week. No sign of issues.
Adon likes this.

75g Tank Journal:

Forest's Edge:

Last edited by somewhatshocked; 11-07-2019 at 04:20 PM. Reason: post the photos, don't promote your social media accounts
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-20-2019, 07:07 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Pics in instagram! IG: Columbus_Aquascaping

75g Tank Journal:

Forest's Edge:

Tags
broken, landen 90p, repair, rimless tank, silicone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode