15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 09:07 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Equipment that did not stand up to the test of time

@jra2212 posted this

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/9...t-od-time.html

I would like to start the opposite thread. What equipment do you own that did not stand up to the test of time?

I will go first my Eheim skimmer 350. It still works great but the suction cups it comes with are crap and did not last long. Problem? No way to replace them so that sucks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 09:22 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
A recent disappointment: Tidal filters. Bought two to put on my 30 gallons and they were total junk. Plugged up constantly. Noisy as all get-out with snails and gravel constantly bouncing around in the casing. They drove me to distraction with their need for constant tampering.
Both went into the garbage.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Amy
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 09:25 PM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
It blows my mind that suction cups are used to hold things intended to last for many years underwater when suction cups themselves seem to be good for only 3-4 years underwater.

To the subject, I'll mention the well-designed Tunze powerheads. They use a magnet to affix to the tank which is nice, but I don't think I still have a single one running currently. And I bet I've bought ten of them over the years. Also Ebo Jaegar heaters used to be my go-to brand but after a while every one I owned started getting moisture inside of them.
Turningdizzy and Delapool like this.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 09:38 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I'm on board with the suction cup hate... if only someone made magnets with standard sized suction cup nubs instead of just with zip ties or prongs to hold tubes/hoses. I suppose I could just superglue them in place?
Turningdizzy and Delapool like this.
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 11:06 PM
Planted Member

Equipment that did not stand up to the test of time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank158 View Post
@jra2212 posted this

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/9...t-od-time.html

I would like to start the opposite thread. What equipment do you own that did not stand up to the test of time?

I will go first my Eheim skimmer 350. It still works great but the suction cups it comes with are crap and did not last long. Problem? No way to replace them so that sucks.

Technically it doesnít suck.

I second suction cups. Either they fail to stick at all, or they become bonded with the strength of Hercules so you can barely get them off (at which point they never stick again).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Frank158 and Turningdizzy like this.
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 02:06 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I've only been in this hobby a year and I already had to replace my inline hori heater. It slowly stopped working over 4 months. I'd have to turn the temp up on it for it to kick on for lower temps, until I eventually couldn't turn it any higher.
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 02:14 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wobblebonk View Post
I'm on board with the suction cup hate... if only someone made magnets with standard sized suction cup nubs instead of just with zip ties or prongs to hold tubes/hoses. I suppose I could just superglue them in place?
Greggz, iceburg and Leeatl like this.
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 02:28 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

right but it just fits tubes and hoses no? or does the screw hole function as a nub for devices that just have those kinds of suction cups?
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 02:33 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
right but it just fits tubes and hoses no? or does the screw hole function as a nub for devices that just have those kinds of suction cups?
You just pic the size clip that fits your whatever and just screw into tank side base. You ignore any previous mounting solutions that came with the device.
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 02:47 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Right so I'd just have to glue it to the devices I am thinking of...
post #11 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 05:36 AM
Wannabe Guru

Hydor filters are garbage. Would never buy one again.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #12 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 06:56 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Nope, I see what your saying. Yea it would be nice if they supplied you one with a glue plate on it for rolling your own.
post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 07:37 PM
Planted Member

My Eheim 2217 has been in use for many many years and would be a wonderful timeless equipment if not for the impeller that is designed to break every once in a while and needs replacing.

--UN--
post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 10:28 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveKS View Post
Dang I wish I hadn't seen those.

A bit pricey, but if they work well might be worth it.

---
---
post #15 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 11:35 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveKS View Post
I have a few sets of these and they are very pricey in my book , like $8 a piece . I got some on a big sale from one of the online stores years ago . If you need very many it can get expensive . I would also like to add a Sun Sun 302 canister to the list . Only used it for a few months and the catches on the hoses broke/disintegrated . I guess you do get what you pay for .

My wife says if I get one more aquarium she is going to leave me . I sure am going to miss her fried chicken .

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode