Equipment that did not stand up to the test of time - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 11:55 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeatl View Post
I have a few sets of these and they are very pricey in my book , like $8 a piece . I got some on a big sale from one of the online stores years ago . If you need very many it can get expensive . I would also like to add a Sun Sun 302 canister to the list . Only used it for a few months and the catches on the hoses broke/disintegrated . I guess you do get what you pay for .
Well their even more expensive these days but being magnetic would expect them to last a decade. I wish more equipment just came with hardware hanger brackets with set screws for clamping to rim.
Frank158 and Leeatl like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 12:05 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveKS View Post
Well their even more expensive these days but being magnetic would expect them to last a decade. I wish more equipment just came with hardware hanger brackets with set screws for clamping to rim.
One of LFS has them for $7.99 each , so maybe lower online , but still pricey...lol I have had mine for well over 10 years so they should last a lifetime . I use them for heaters and heater controller probes mainly and I have never run into anything that they didn't have a hook for .

My wife says if I get one more aquarium she is going to leave me . I sure am going to miss her fried chicken .
post #18 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 02:08 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeatl View Post
One of LFS has them for $7.99 each , so maybe lower online , but still pricey...lol I have had mine for well over 10 years so they should last a lifetime . I use them for heaters and heater controller probes mainly and I have never run into anything that they didn't have a hook for .
@Leeatl Question for you. On the back of my tank I have that aquarium backing you buy in fish stores (black) affixed to the back side of my tank. Would those magnets be strong enough to go through that do you think?

post #19 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 02:47 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Jebao/jecod pp-8, lasted a year~1.5 years before it stopped working. the controller itself works, but the powerhead part crapped out lmao

Their pumps are still working ofr me though so there's that

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #20 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 04:45 AM
Algae Grower

CO2 diffusers (powerhead to chop bubbles, magnet to attach) - brilliant idea but sooo finicky on the ones Iíve had. Either work great or get blocked, get overloaded with the CO2 rate that worked fine yesterday or magnet gets a death rattle (but itís all good ).
post #21 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 07:45 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd
I am completely LED now but Coralife bulbs were the worst. I had a 30 inch fixture from them some bulbs would fail in 6 months, some even quicker. My UV sterilizer bulb was the same. Wasted so much money on bulbs, it was the only option for that size fixture. It looks like they have updated the product but they had a timer/powerstrip that failed on so many people but some actually caught fire. Even though some products are reliable, my light fixtures never failed, for example, they were expensive for the output (often just a bit more than half of the same type of bulb with a fixture with good reflectors).

I wish I had a list of heaters that have failed on me, I know the ones that don't, forget the ones that do. The worst was one they sold at Petco or Petsmart that looks like it is filled with black sand. Those always fail.

In general, most things have been the quality I expected or not well below. I typically don't buy cheaper brands for important components like filters, lighting, or any other critical component of the tank. I can't say that every purchase I have made has been worthwhile but those bulbs and that heater just shouldn't have been on the market.

-Matt

post #22 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 03:40 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank158 View Post
@Leeatl Question for you. On the back of my tank I have that aquarium backing you buy in fish stores (black) affixed to the back side of my tank. Would those magnets be strong enough to go through that do you think?
Yes Frank158 they are very strong magnets .
Frank158 likes this.

My wife says if I get one more aquarium she is going to leave me . I sure am going to miss her fried chicken .
post #23 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank158 View Post
@jra2212 posted this

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/9...t-od-time.html

I would like to start the opposite thread. What equipment do you own that did not stand up to the test of time?

I will go first my Eheim skimmer 350. It still works great but the suction cups it comes with are crap and did not last long. Problem? No way to replace them so that sucks.
The suction cups on an Eheim Skim 350 are easy to replace. Just pull them straight out, and replace with Eheim part number 7445848. I get mine (and all my other small Eheim parts) from ebay seller rainbowoik in the UK, which I'm apparently not allowed to link to directly.

As for your original question, I'd say any Eheim canister filter that uses the horrible tap connector found on the top of the Pro3 and Pro4. Adding insult to injury, if you're in the US and have one fail under warranty, the company that Eheim outsourced their US support to when Eheim shut down their US operations in 2016 (Cobalt, I think) won't help you. I was told that it was my own fault for neglecting to grease the gears inside the tap connector. It's a sealed unit -- you can't access the gears to grease them, and there's no mention of this part needing maintenance in Eheim's manual for the Pro3, which doesn't exactly skimp on details. When that tap connector breaks and gets stuck in the head, you basically get to break it apart piece by piece to get it out. If you're lucky, it breaks with the valve open so the filter is still usable.
post #24 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 12:38 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by euphxenos View Post
The suction cups on an Eheim Skim 350 are easy to replace. Just pull them straight out, and replace with Eheim part number 7445848. I get mine (and all my other small Eheim parts) from ebay seller rainbowoik in the UK, which I'm apparently not allowed to link to directly.

As for your original question, I'd say any Eheim canister filter that uses the horrible tap connector found on the top of the Pro3 and Pro4. Adding insult to injury, if you're in the US and have one fail under warranty, the company that Eheim outsourced their US support to when Eheim shut down their US operations in 2016 (Cobalt, I think) won't help you. I was told that it was my own fault for neglecting to grease the gears inside the tap connector. It's a sealed unit -- you can't access the gears to grease them, and there's no mention of this part needing maintenance in Eheim's manual for the Pro3, which doesn't exactly skimp on details. When that tap connector breaks and gets stuck in the head, you basically get to break it apart piece by piece to get it out. If you're lucky, it breaks with the valve open so the filter is still usable.

Jees I wish I had known that about the suction
cups. At the time when I needed them I could not find a replacement for the and googled forums and only saw posts like this

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/9...tion-cups.html

where people complained they could not get them and then found other posts of people jimmy rigging hangers and whatnot. Urg. Thanks for the tip.

I have the pro 3 and have not had any problems with that double tap connector and did not know it was crappy. Great now that I know I bet it will break down on me. LOL
post #25 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 04:05 AM

My first Fluval LED Plant light about 6-7 years ago? The transformer always got super hot right out of the box. Ended up not working after a month and i returned it and went back to my tried and true Giessmann T5 lights. Interestingly enough, i bought the Fluval 3.0 light about 6 months ago and love it.
post #26 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 12:25 PM
Algae Grower

I bought those new-ish usb powered air pumps that use a rotary motor. I say new-ish because my guess is they entered the market due to an expired patent. I bought two from ebay china and 4 from the Co-op. I mean they are the most quiet air pump I've ever used and I love the ones that work, but so far both china and one Co-op pump have developed a clicking noise after a couple months of use. The added noise only brings it up to the level of your standard air pump but it has still been a letdown.

Hopefully I'll have time to do a tear down soon to find the issue.
post #27 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 07:23 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

For me- it was about the Wifi outlets. I have used 2 different kinds: Kasa and Smartlife.
Kasa started failing regularly moments after purchase. Smartlife seems to be better... but the app is less user friendly.

Giving back creates a virtuous cycle that makes everyone more successful (as long as they cycle!)
7 Tanks and counting..... plus all these critters to feed critters
post #28 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 07:58 PM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
I just had an LED fixture go out and started going through lights in storage to temporarily put on the tank until I can find a new transformer. I m putting 4 Hagen Glo T5 units in the trash today. All are powering off and on and burning out bulbs. Bet they were under warranty when I unplugged them too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDukeAnumber1 View Post
I bought those new-ish usb powered air pumps that use a rotary motor. I say new-ish because my guess is they entered the market due to an expired patent. I bought two from ebay china and 4 from the Co-op. I mean they are the most quiet air pump I've ever used and I love the ones that work, but so far both china and one Co-op pump have developed a clicking noise after a couple months of use. The added noise only brings it up to the level of your standard air pump but it has still been a letdown.
I run similar Co-op pumps on shrimp tanks, only these have a plug. I agree they are super quiet and run great at first, but I'm on my 3rd pump on a tank I just set up in February. None have quit, but output has declined drastically on each after a few months of run time. It's right in my office where I need the quietest pump possible too, or I'd just grab a vibrating pump and call it a day.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
post #29 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 12:42 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (12/100%)
Suction cups for sure. Especially in a tank running CO2. Equipment with moving parts would have to be Tetra air pumps. The bellows always tears. I did find a way to use inner-tube patches to repair them and make them probably tougher than how they started. But the main equipment that wears out is ME. Anyone with MTS may agree with this.

A paranoid shrimp keeper, is a successful shrimp keeper.
10G Orange Rili
10G Orange Neo
10G Green Jade
10G Carbon Rili
10G Blue Dream
38G Red Cherry
post #30 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 03:38 AM
Planted Member

API test tubes. Jeezless things drive me nuts. Flicking water all over the place no more

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode