Water Mixing/Changing Station - The Planted Tank Forum
 5Likes
  • 5 Post By AcidGambit

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 04:03 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Water Mixing/Changing Station

I spent about a year trying to go high tech (Journal) only to realize that the salt from my water softener was killing my plants. So I decided to take a page out of the book of saltwater tanks and built a water mixing/changing station. These stations are somewhat common for saltwater stations. Here is my setup:

Water from the RODI system enters the tank on the right. Waste water goes down the drain through the black tubing - the drain goes into my basement sump. Using the valves, I can use the pump in the middle to pump water from the RODI storage tank on the right to the tank-water tank on the left. That is where I remineralize my tank water. After I add minerals, I can set the valves so that the pump recirculates water in the tank-water tank to ensure that everything is mixed.

On water change days, I get a message on my phone asking if I want to prepare the station for a water change, four hours before I typically do a water change. If I say yes, my home automation system turns on the pump and a heater. I also have a temperature probe that allows me to monitor the progress of the heater.

I made this attachment for water changes:

I cut the PVC length so that it stops draining at about a 50% water change:

It connects to the mixing/changing station via braided hose with quick connects on either end. I set the valves so that the water drains into my sump.

To fill, I remove the siphon bulb, connect the PVC fitting directly to the braided hose, flip some valves, and turn the pump on to pump the remineralized water from my basement to the tank on the first floor. I can shut it off via my phone when the tank is full, but I have a valve on the fitting as a backup.

It was an interesting project and I learned a lot about PVC plumbing, which will be helpful if I ever setup a saltwater tank. Now I hope that the use of remineralized RODI water leads to success!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 04:50 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Iíd recommend you also apply same principle you used in U to drain off water then stop and also apply that to a stand pipe in water vat that will make pump start sucking air once right amount of water is pumped back into tank. You can still put elbow on top of it so it rotates water around vat when youíve got it running as a prep circulation pump.

All it takes is one instance where you get distracted and donít shut pump off in time to make a fine mess. It would be shame to ruin that nice piece of furniture tank is setting on. Make it as fool proof as possible. Donít ask me how I know this....

Also might want a 5gal bucket down there that old water drains into so youíll have old tank water saved to do your filter pad cleaning with.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 11:17 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveKS View Post
Iíd recommend you also apply same principle you used in U to drain off water then stop and also apply that to a stand pipe in water vat that will make pump start sucking air once right amount of water is pumped back into tank. You can still put elbow on top of it so it rotates water around vat when youíve got it running as a prep circulation pump.

All it takes is one instance where you get distracted and donít shut pump off in time to make a fine mess. It would be shame to ruin that nice piece of furniture tank is setting on. Make it as fool proof as possible. Donít ask me how I know this....

Also might want a 5gal bucket down there that old water drains into so youíll have old tank water saved to do your filter pad cleaning with.
Good thoughts. The connection from that PVC section in my basement to the sump is via flexible hose on a quick disconnect, so I could detach it to collect some tank water if I wanted to. Alternatively, would it be an issue to clean the filter in RO water? The chlorine in tap water is the big concern when cleaning your filter, right?

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 07:53 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidGambit View Post
Good thoughts. The connection from that PVC section in my basement to the sump is via flexible hose on a quick disconnect, so I could detach it to collect some tank water if I wanted to. Alternatively, would it be an issue to clean the filter in RO water? The chlorine in tap water is the big concern when cleaning your filter, right?
Yea RO better than tap, especially if you use water from remineralized side. But old tank water is best IMHO, no chance of PH or osmotic shock to bacteria that way, itís same water itís been in all week.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 11:40 PM
Planted Member

Nice clean looking setup. WC stations are awesome. Best thing I ever did for my fish keeping
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 03:17 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
I have the same system for my 400 gallons reef system. I use the same pump in between 2 water vessel to move RO/DI water to the mixing vessel and move new saltwater to my sump. I use my return pump to drain my sump va a 1/2 water hole
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-27-2020, 08:31 PM
Algae Grower

I really like those storage vessels.

Presently I have one of these.

However my setup calls for 2 storage vessels (like your setup)... and at 24" diameter this one is a little to big to fit where I want it. I certainly don't need 65 gallons of storage for each of the vessels. Tell me about your containers if you don't mind.

Peter
learning never stops...
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-08-2020, 12:13 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FischAutoTechGarten View Post
I really like those storage vessels.

Presently I have one of these.

However my setup calls for 2 storage vessels (like your setup)... and at 24" diameter this one is a little to big to fit where I want it. I certainly don't need 65 gallons of storage for each of the vessels. Tell me about your containers if you don't mind.
Sure, this is the tank that I chose: https://www.usplastic.com/catalog/it...?itemid=121248

The diameter is only 19", which is nice. The US Plastic website has a lot of different tanks to choose from.

My Tank Journal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode