Looking for a new tank - The Planted Tank Forum
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By harris611

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 11:01 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)
Looking for a new tank

So I have always bought cheap secondhand tanks or the common tanks found at petstores but I would like to find a nice rimless tank. I am looking for something around 50-60 gallons that is longer and short like a 40 gallon long is. Does not have to be a 4 foot tank but 3 foot or more would be nice. Not looking to spend $2000 on a tank. $400-800 is where I would like to keep it. Going a little outside of the guidelines is perfectly fine. Anyone have any recommendations?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 02:58 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
I really like UNS rimless tanks. The corners are mitered at 45 degrees, which makes them look even nicer. From what you're looking for, it looks like the 120S might fit the bill for you. The dimensions are 47.24" x 23.62" x 14.17". It is a 68 gallon tank.

Last edited by AcidGambit; 07-22-2019 at 02:59 AM. Reason: Add gallons.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 05:21 AM
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (144/100%)
https://buceplant.com/collections/un...nt=45959383885

Free shipping, I belive. I dont think 120P or S are available anymore and 120U is $1,250. The closest to 40B is 90P. I might consider 90U @ $650 for extra 3" in depth and hight..

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 12:05 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I am also looking to buy a new rimless tank sometime in the next 6 months. Mine will be larger then what you mentioned. After a lot of looking around the two cheapest options I have found is glasscages.com and planetaquariums.com. The latter will only sell to retail stores not to individuals so you need to find a local fish store willing to work with you to buy the tank. I would give an honorable mention to scaquariums.com which have low iron glass at very cheap prices but tend to use euro bracing for the top as opposed to rimless. I have not found anyone cheaper then these and they are definitely cheap enough that you could buy your desired tank within your budget. However, since I have not purchased my tank yet I can not give you a first hand accounting of the process.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 09:02 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidGambit View Post
I really like UNS rimless tanks. The corners are mitered at 45 degrees, which makes them look even nicer. From what you're looking for, it looks like the 120S might fit the bill for you. The dimensions are 47.24" x 23.62" x 14.17". It is a 68 gallon tank.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OVT View Post
https://buceplant.com/collections/un...nt=45959383885

Free shipping, I belive. I dont think 120P or S are available anymore and 120U is $1,250. The closest to 40B is 90P. I might consider 90U @ $650 for extra 3" in depth and hight..
Quote:
Originally Posted by minorhero View Post
I am also looking to buy a new rimless tank sometime in the next 6 months. Mine will be larger then what you mentioned. After a lot of looking around the two cheapest options I have found is glasscages.com and planetaquariums.com. The latter will only sell to retail stores not to individuals so you need to find a local fish store willing to work with you to buy the tank. I would give an honorable mention to scaquariums.com which have low iron glass at very cheap prices but tend to use euro bracing for the top as opposed to rimless. I have not found anyone cheaper then these and they are definitely cheap enough that you could buy your desired tank within your budget. However, since I have not purchased my tank yet I can not give you a first hand accounting of the process.

ty very much to all of you. i will definitely look into all these options. minorhero i have my local fish store that has said they could order tanks for me. think they might would sell to them or by retail store did you pretty much mean large chain stores like petco and petsmart?

Last edited by Starwarsfan; 08-02-2019 at 09:03 AM. Reason: typo
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 11:20 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Not petco, planetaquarium will sell to local fish stores owned by individuals. They just won't sell directly to the public. You can ask your local fish store if they will contact planetaquarium for more information. Let us know how it turns out!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 09:10 PM
Algae Grower

AquaMaxx rimless

I LOVE my AquaMaxx 24" rimless cube. You'd probably like their 64 gallon -- 47.3" x 17.8" x 17.8"

Premium Low-Iron Rimless Aquarium - AquaMaxx Aquariums

They use extra-thick 12mm glass for tanks the size you are talking about -- most others are 10mm. Very fine beveled-edges, flawless clear silicone, and low-iron, super-clarity glass. Seriously, I was looking at some really high-end tanks (Elos, Miracles, Reef Savvy) and visited a bunch in person. I honestly can BARELY see a difference in those ultra-expensive tanks compared to the AquaMaxx. The Reef Savvy was the exception, but it still was not crazy better to my eye -- and seeing as the RS was a full decimal point more expensive and had a 9 month waiting list, not much of a decision. Now, I've also seen and owned several mediocre to horrible looking tanks (I'm looking at you Glass Cages), so I think I do have a decent perspective on the range of aquariums out there. I have just been really impressed with the quality I got for $399 on my 57 gal ($500ish with shipping from Marine Depot).

Here is my active build thread if you want a look at the tank:
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/1...ube-build.html

I may have more photos of the empty tank if you want them.

Good luck!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 09:23 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
I have a couple of rimless Fluval tanks and have been very happy with them but if I was buying a new one, would likely go with AquaMaxx.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 09:28 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
Buceplant ended free shipping on tanks last year before black friday, and during black friday they tweaked the shipping price to negate the black friday discounts, actually you'd have paid more on a tank during their black friday sale. Immediately after the BF sales ended the shipping price went back to normal and even without discounts came out to less than during the sale.

Marine depot has been very good to me when shipping some Innovative Marine tanks that Fedex stacked stuff on and broke... twice. Marine Depot also carries Lifegard Crystal aquariums that are low iron 45 degree mitered.

Don't ask for advice. Ask for information, gather lots of information from different reliable sources. Then use the information to make your own advice.

Last edited by FishRFriendz; 08-14-2019 at 04:03 PM. Reason: also
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 10:05 PM
Algae Grower

I’m also looking to upgrade within the next year and am liking the idea of an AIO system to keep everything tidy and hidden. I came across Innovative-Marine and they seem to look pretty nice. And from the reviews I’ve seen quality seems to be there.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode