How to secure a CO2 cylinder? - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By KayakJimW

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 02:54 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
How to secure a CO2 cylinder?

I am now finally setting up my first CO2 setup! Still learning a lot about the process of hooking everything up. But my main question is do I really need to secure the cylinder down? And if so how should I?

My wife is paranoid that the thing is going to explode or shoot off around the house while Iím at work or something. Though Iíve heard stories I donít know how true this is to happen and what the chances are of this happening.

Regardless I will probably still secure it down just to keep the regulator from breaking but I need some ideas (pictures or videos are helpful) on how to do so. I have the 75g Marineland stand and aquarium from Petsmart. Any help/advice would be much appreciated!

My canister filter sits in the middle of the stand, which is the only place I can set it because of the length of the input/output hoses. Thereís a wooden post behind it which I would strap it too, but unfortunately I canít put the cylinder there because of the filter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 03:03 AM
Planted Member

Just put the cylinder in the corner and maybe pile some of that misc stuff around it... it isn't going to move or explode, unless you sustain an earthquake...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 12:04 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
I'm a fan of Quick Fist clamps. You could screw or bolt to the stand, or screw a block of wood to a wall stud, and attach to that
AcidGambit likes this.

92% of all statistics are made up on the spot.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 02:22 AM
Algae Grower

"But my main question is do I really need to secure the cylinder down? And if so how should I? "

I would say the answer is no, especially if your co2 canister is inside that congested stand.

If there is an 8.0 earthquake, and your canister falls over, it won't fall over far enough for the regulator to be damaged.
If you experience that type of severe event, trust me, your new regulator will be the least of your worries compared the rest of your home and all the damaged valuables.

You have no reason, and no known precedent, to think you need to strap the co2 canister to the inside of your aquarium stand.

If you are worried about the canister falling over, I think the bigger concern is to have your aquarium stand bracketed to wall studs (not flexible straps/cables).

My kids like to be near our largest aquarium, to lay on the floor supported by their elbows to read or use a chromebook. I've trained them to respect a safety zone, far enough that the aquarium can never tip over and crush them in an earthquake. We are within an hour's drive of the San Andreas Fault (my favorite winter hiking area).

Last edited by psychofisho; 07-13-2019 at 02:34 AM. Reason: .
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 01:06 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Never really thought about earthquakes... My reason for getting the quick fist was protection from myself! Catching an elbow while I'm working on the filter, reaching past it in close quarters to plug/unplug stuff... Bourbon...

92% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 01:43 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Whether you REALLY need to will depend on how you feel about killing somebody in your house! Odds are small but that is not one of those that I like to risk. Just seems like it would be really hard to explain to the wife or kids?
And anybody thinks that it is silly to think it might happen is just not very up on compressed gas!
Do a quick check of videos of "compressed gas tank failure" for ideas and you will see them shoot out the roof, through the wall, or just across the parking lot. Definitely not something You should risk having happen in your house, even if nobody is home as it certainly will make a mess of anything as flimsy as a wooden stand or sheetrock walls. Tanks do punch holes through brick walls and go outside!
Why take a chance when it is as simple as screwing a bungie cord to the stand and wrapping it around the tank? Point is that a really strong solid strap is not needed, just something strong enough to catch it if somebody (like us) knocks it over.

Oh, yeah! You might also reduce the chance of having to replace things like broken reg, solenoid or needle valve but those only cost a couple hundred dollars.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 03:33 AM
Algae Grower

I’ve strapped my cylinder down because of the above post by @PlantedRich . Although mines a little more prone being it’s in the basement away from the aquariums. But still. The thing could blow through a cinder block wall pretty easily

Being in your stand you’re safe from people walking past and bumping it. But if it were me, I’d still build something simple out of 2”x2” just to keep it up right in case of mishandling. A little inconvenience for me is worth not having a cylinder going through my roof into low earth orbit
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 10:27 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I've been told that we don't need to worry as the size bottle we use has less pressure but that is not true. It has the same pressure, just less volume and I do agree that we will do less damage, also true that a short bottle is less prone to breaking the valve as it falls but I find there is plenty for me to NOT want it falling over. Little things that we might miss thinking about is the small little fitting that holds the high pressure gauge to the reg is one as it's setting there with around 800 PSI and that little brass fitting is often brass making it reasonably simple to break. So how much damage does a small tank like a ten pound make as it vents off that pressure through a broken gauge?
Say we are lucky and it doesn't come out of the stand but only sets there next to my canister and spins the reg, solenoid, and needle valve around like a berserk top! Just too simple to tie it in some way and not wonder what it will do.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 09:15 PM

Falling over won't damage small tanks. They drop test them onto the valve from chest height.

If you are paranoid, you can lock it in place with a bungee cord, a ratchet strap, a hunk of chain, or even Velcro strips. None of these will set you back more than a couple of dollars.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 02:01 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zephyrs View Post
Falling over won't damage small tanks. They drop test them onto the valve from chest height.

If you are paranoid, you can lock it in place with a bungee cord, a ratchet strap, a hunk of chain, or even Velcro strips. None of these will set you back more than a couple of dollars.
The tank may be tested but when we read the directions, they also highly advise making sure it doesn't fall over.
Also it pays to keep in mind that nobody drops tanks with the expensive things like reg, solenoid and needle valve attached to see if it damages them! Also we need to think about what happens when a tank lays horizontal so that we get liquid CO2 in the reg, rather than gas.
Paranoid is the guy who insists on having his brakes fixed while the freestyle guy is happy with just fixing the horn.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode