1Likes
  • 1 Post By OVT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 08:16 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
CO2 Injection Help Please!

Hello everyone!

I was just given a 5# CO2 cylinder and this regulator: https://www.amazon.com/MonkeyJack-St.../dp/B071L3TRLS

A friend used this for making beer and has given up that hobby.

I have two ceramic diffusers that I had used with DIY CO2.

The aquariums are both on a single stand (top and bottom) and will have no fish initially.

Besides the CO2 cylinder, the regulator in the link above (to split between two aquariums) and the ceramic diffusers, is there something else I need to have?

All advice gladly accepted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 10:27 AM
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (144/100%)
The part in the link is a splitter, not a pressure regulator.

You need a pressure regulator that reduces the ~1,500 psi pressure in the cylinder to 10 - 60 psi pressure delivered to your ceramic diffusers.
Optionally, you might want a solenoid that can turn co2 flow on / off when connected to a timer.
And then you are missing the connectors to tie all of the pieces together, Teflon tape or such, check valve(s), tubbing, and, optionally, bubble counter(s).
varanidguy likes this.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 11:04 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks!

If I am understanding correctly, I will need one regulator on the tank itself. Then I could attach the splitter to run to the two tanks?

My ceramic diffusers have bubble counters also.

So I still need a single regulator and a single solenoid to shut off CO2 flow during non-light hours?

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 12:25 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantsOrFish View Post
If I am understanding correctly, I will need one regulator on the tank itself. Then I could attach the splitter to run to the two tanks?
Yes, this is correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantsOrFish View Post
So I still need a single regulator and a single solenoid to shut off CO2 flow during non-light hours?
Yes, this is also correct. A single solenoid will mean both lines will turn off at the same time. If you want to maintain two different schedules, you will require two solenoids.

Anthony

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 03:57 AM
Planted Member

So you really just need co2 bottles, a regulator, and some special airline and a diffuser? Is it that simple?

'Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if only one remembers to turn on the light' -Albus Dumbledore

'Life is like riding a bicycle, to keep your balance you have to keep moving' -Albert Einstein

'When in doubt, water change it out' -Nikolaus(Fishlore)

'Give me a fish and I eat for a day. Teach me to fish and I eat for a lifetime.' -(unknown)

'The best way to observe a fish is to become a fish' -(unknown)
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 04:09 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquanerd13 View Post
So you really just need co2 bottles, a regulator, and some special airline and a diffuser? Is it that simple?

Essentially, but you wanna start off injecting slowly so you donít kill livestock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 10:06 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I will do the two aquariums as only plants so livestock will not be an issue while I get comfortable with this. I've done planted low tech tanks but several years back, and DIY CO2.

Got the glass aquariums last night so will fill tomorrow to make sure no leaks.

Then to build both with integrated sumps.

Thanks for the help on determining what I have and what I still need.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 12:39 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquanerd13 View Post
Pretty much. Pressurized CO2 is not that difficult to get into, though the initial cost can be a bit high.

You technically don't even need special airline; the regular kind will do as the CO2 loss is insignificant for our purposes.

For more information, you can always take a look at the pressurized CO2 primer that is linked in my signature below.

Anthony

and

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode