Eheim Pro 4 < Fluval 7 series? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 02:42 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Eheim Pro 4 < Fluval 7 series?

First time posting. I've had planted tanks and marine tanks for years. Right now I just recently set up a new 29 in my "man cave". I got an eheim Pro 250 for it and liked it at first. It's been running with biohome for about a month now. I've never been quite happy with the mechanical filtering aspects of it. I've always used fluvals since I was 12 (20 years ago) and this is my first eheim. I also should of gone with the 350 for the extra tray for bio media. I'm not really sure if I like the mechpro. I've taken it out and put it back in to decide if I like it. With out it my quilt batting needs to be checked weekly. I just noticed that the 07 series has been released and looks great with the different foams.

My question is, have any of you liked/disliked the newer pro 4 series? Have any of you switched away from it? I've never had problems from my fluval 04 and 05 series and I've been happy. The eheim sure is dead quiet though!

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 03:16 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I've no experience with the pro 4 but it looks like just a pro 3 with a couple added bells and whistles.
If the mechanical filtering is not right, perhaps the main point might be to try a few cheap options to improve that portion. Part of the advantage of canisters is that we can easily swap and change media to custom fit what we need in each tank.
I move in this direction when not happy with equipment. I first look it over carefully and ask what it is that I don't like and then look at options for changing that to something that seems to fit better.
So what part of the mechanical filtering is bugging you? Is it not moving enough water and creating "flow" in the tank to move things to the pickup? For this, I find it better to add powerheads as they are cheap, easy, and I can add them to the spots where debris collects. If it is leaving too much fine debris in the water column, I add some finer media to polish at the last stage. Keep in mind that only having "x" number of baskets doesn't limit you to that number of types of media. I often wind up having spong and some other media in the same basket.
I rarely recommend going to filter floss as a media as it tends to wad up and need too much attention but I do really like the cut to fit "bonded blue/white" media as it has a stiffener built in. One of my most common media is the stuff designed for big commercial air handlers as it is much the same as we buy in small packs but packaged in volume. Check first to avoid oil impregnated types if going that way.
Perhaps playing with a variety of different media would lead to a cheap and easy solution?
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 05:32 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I'm fine with my pro4 except it's probably a little bit too strong for the tank I have it on. I do have a sponge intake though, so I guess that's additional mechanical filtration...

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 12:35 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I have a glass intake and Lily pipe on this tank. I like the flow and it's just fine but I keep taking out and putting in the mechpro. I'm not sure I like it or how efficient it is. Right now in the bottoms basket I have the mechpro, then poly batting, then a mix of the substrat pro and biohome. I ran out of the blue/white media and thought about going the course/medium/fine route but haven't due to cost.

I like how the new 07 series has all that included. And it seems fluval has paid attention to how it should truley be setup.

I've always had a problem with the poly loosing loft when wet. I've tried finding foam locally but haven't been satisfied.

Is there a mech filter media that you guys prefer? I've just always used poly batting but it's "meh" to me.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 12:57 AM
Algae Grower

Funny you ask. I just bought a Eheim pro 4+ and I hated it so much I sent it back. I had chosen it because it was supposed to be very efficient and silent. Well, besides being hard to prime and start, it was VERY noisy. Two different annoying noises on top of the other. So loud I could hear it from my room upstairs.

I called Eheim, they did a little troubleshooting on the phone and said to send it back, it wasnít normal.

I didnít want another one so after much research, I decident to go with a Fluval 407 to replace it. I just set it up today and so far, love it ! I still hear it but itís a lot quieter than the Eheim, and the noise is also a lot more ę[censored]pleasant[censored]Ľ if I may say.

Bonus and big surprise, Fluval gives you an extended warranty of 2 years if you register it online. So I did and now I have a 5 year warranty. Not bad !
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 05:46 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I actually never hear my pro4. It's dead silent. Sucks you had that problem. That's actually the thing I love about it is that even with the door open I can't hear a thing. I thought about taking it back but my wife threw the box away right after I opened it apparently. So I'm stuck with it for now.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 11:36 AM
Algae Grower

I have one pro 3, and two pro 4+, the only difference with the pro4 is they added a knob that when opened bypass the filter floss.

Quote:
I rarely recommend going to filter floss as a media as it tends to wad up and need too much attention but I do really like the cut to fit "bonded blue/white" media as it has a stiffener built in.
But I bought a rather huge bulk roll of the blue white, fine coarse, bonded floss pad when Foster and smith had it on sale.
I use the floss pad that came with the filter as a template, to cut pads.
Using the blue, white pad pretty much eliminates the need for the bypass the floss option.

Getting one restarted if you didn't completely fill it with water can be a chore. I fill the canister, put the top on, pour water into where the hoses hookup,
until it is full.
I put the hoses back on, tilt it on an angle to get water to the impeller, and plug it in. Doing that cuts down on the number of times you need to press the primer. Then ease it back to sitting flat on the floor.

But the word noisy and Eheim, really don't belong in the same sentence.

I have one of the larger pro 3, and two of the larger pro 4, and all of the doors to the stand could be open, be standing right in front,
and you can't tell if they are running.

If you put your hand on one you will feel a little vibration, but they are silent.
Oh buy the way, I am defiantly an Ehiem guy!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 04:03 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Well after getting some medium foam and some fine blue/white pads, I put those in the bottom tray. Ran it a few days with some purigen because I've had some clouding for a couple months. Then after cleaning out the pro 4 I realized I hated the whole design and lack of flow. Went out and got a new 307 fluval and instantly realized I have Always been a fluval person. The whole design is amazing as it always has been since I've had the 04 series. The very next morning when the co2 and lights kicked on, the tank was crystal clear! I'm not sure what I'm going to do with the eheim. Maybe it'll go on a Betta tank I have planed for the living room. Or I'll sell it for super cheap to a friend. But bottom line, like the guy above, it was night and day between the two.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode