Help Choosing Tank Size - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 02:36 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Help Choosing Tank Size

In short, I'm looking for opinions on tank selection based on the proportions of my current stand and the framed pictures around it.

I've gone through a lot of heartache over the last year with my office display tank, a UNS 40C cube tank (Journal). Long story short, my softened water stinks and I need to start using remineralized RODI water (I'm in the process of building a badass water mixing/changing station). I want a fresh start, so I am going to go with a new tank. I had a UNS 40C, which you can see below.

Please ignore the actual condition of the tank. It's empty, but I didn't want to shutoff the filter. That is a UNS 40C, which is a 16 gallon tank that is 15.75" x 15.75" x 15.75". Initially, my thought was to move up to a bigger cube, the 18" x 18" x 18" UNS 50C, which was supposed to be released soon. But I just found out that it will be delayed by a few months. I can't wait that long and I love the aesthetics of UNS tanks, so now I'm thinking of going with one of their other tanks rather than getting a cube from another manufacturer. And, honestly, the 16" tank I have is already a little high for the space when you factor in a light, let alone the 18" height for the UNS 50C. The two options I am considering now are the UNS 60U (23.62" x 14.17" x 14.17") and the UNS 90L (35.43" x 11.81" x 11.81"). Either one is good because they'll be shorter (even shorter than my current cube), which will fit in well with the proportions of the frames around the stand. I've mocked up what each would look like on the stand: length is shown by the tape measure (the body of the tape measure is not included) and height by the top of the post-it note on my current tank.

UNS 60U

UNS 90L

My initial thoughts are that I lose the ability either way to put other things (like the vase I have on there now) on top of the stand without it looking cluttered. So why not go with the 90L so that I have a lot of floor real estate to play with and take up the length of the stand. The length will also give the fish a lot of room to move around. Right now I am planning on having some ottos, pygmy cories, M/F pair of apistos, and a big school of green neon tetras. The tetras will probably look awesome swimming with that much length to cover.

In summary, I think that I want to go with the 90L, but please let me know what you think.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 04:07 AM
Planted Member

90L would be my choice pretty much for all reasons you mention. With lights on it will look perfectly framed in. Just enough left on end of stand for couple jars food. Larger water/atmosphere surface contact area for better gas exchange.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 07:10 AM
Planted Member

IMHO go for the 90. I think the longer tank without other stuff on the stand to detract from the tank would be the best route. It will accent the tank and look good with the hanging pics in the background. The pictures are already hanging in a way that is just right for that size tank.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 08:03 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Sold! I'm really excited about my purchase. I'll post a link once I start the tank journal in case anyone is interested.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode