• 1 Post By jbecks
  • 1 Post By jbecks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 06:02 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Replacing Eheim Classic 1500xl pump

Hi all,

I currently have an Eheim Classic 1500xl 2262 and Im thinking about replacing the pump with a Reef Octopus S4. Do you think it will run ok? or would there be any issues? the S4 has more head height and can be fine tuned to adjust flow.

I personally dont see any issues.

Picture for reference;

theDCpump likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 09:14 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I'm not familiar with the pump you want to use but as long as the intake and output fittings are the same as the 1262 or larger I don't see a problem.

You will have to rig up some kind of adapter to connect to the fitting on top the canister lid as it is probably BSPP the same as the other threaded fittings on this filter.

Dee
Eheim Pimpette #270
Eheim Pro II 2028; Classics Series -2215, 2217, 2260, 2262; Pro 2229 Wet/Dry
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 09:24 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

yeah I thought it would be ok, its either that or I buy a fluval fx6. But I like the simplicity of the eheim classic and the size.
theDCpump likes this.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 10:34 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbecks View Post
Hi all,

I currently have an Eheim Classic 1500xl 2262 and Im thinking about replacing the pump with a Reef Octopus S4. Do you think it will run ok? or would there be any issues? the S4 has more head height and can be fine tuned to adjust flow.

I personally dont see any issues.

You are beating me to it!!!

A DC pump canister project will be declassified as of this thread (Christmas sale discounts was the reason I have them).

Rats... my plans to safely DCpump the 1500XL are just as you had described.
I have a Vectra M1 model DCpump that has a feed mode that will safely dial in flow.

The insurance plan running the Eco Tech Marine brand, Vectra series M1 was to keep the pump running with it's LOW speed feed mode that never turns the pump off.
The Vectra DCpump will run at low desired speed for a good ten (10min.) minutes keeping the pump from ever seizing up such a large beautiful canister for the day on a feed mode stop/start issue.
The pump's low mode was truly intended for a sump use low speed feed mode to keep food from going into the beginning of the intake, as well as the sump waster just reaching the power level to keep the cycle or flow of water moving ever-so slowly.

A good DC pump with a good record can keep the idea you had going.
I don't trust the OEM factory Eheim pump and the connections as a well as the method they connected it.
We're going to the full reef tank PVC pipe theme and some hose with lots of smart union pipe area or connection points with a high degree of protection from commercial valves and additional ideas.
Still some Eheim parts will be in the mix.
The Eheim connectors are HUGE. They may work well too.
I just wanted those canisters.

The foam PPI ordeal and layering, cutting round disc shapes, and the right foam is still ahead of me.

I think I may do the Swiss Tropicals thing for real good foam that does not reduce or shrink in water.
My 2217 Eheim discs of foam are likely Poret foam or the right kind that won't change much.
I believe the hydrolyze word was used to describe the water changing the foams.

Man, you got me.
I'm up to my knees in other projects.

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 10:46 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by theDCpump View Post

You are beating me to it!!!

A DC pump canister project will be declassified as of this thread (Christmas sale discounts was the reason I have them).

Rats... my plans to safely DCpump the 1500XL are just as you had described.
I have a Vectra M1 model DCpump that has a feed mode that will safely dial in flow.

The insurance plan running the Eco Tech Marine brand, Vectra series M1 was to keep the pump running with it's LOW speed feed mode that never turns the pump off.
The Vectra DCpump will run at low desired speed for a good ten (10min.) minutes keeping the pump from ever seizing up such a large beautiful canister for the day on a feed mode stop/start issue.
The pump's low mode was truly intended for a sump use low speed feed mode to keep food from going into the beginning of the intake, as well as the sump waster just reaching the power level to keep the cycle or flow of water moving ever-so slowly.

A good DC pump with a good record can keep the idea you had going.
I don't trust the OEM factory Eheim pump and the connections as a well as the method they connected it.
We're going to the full reef tank PVC pipe theme and some hose with lots of smart union pipe area or connection points with a high degree of protection from commercial valves and additional ideas.
Still some Eheim parts will be in the mix.
The Eheim connectors are HUGE. They may work well too.
I just wanted those canisters.

The foam PPI ordeal and layering, cutting round disc shapes, and the right foam is still ahead of me.

I think I may do the Swiss Tropicals thing for real good foam that does not reduce or shrink in water.
My 2217 Eheim discs of foam are likely Poret foam or the right kind that won't change much.
I believe the hydrolyze word was used to describe the water changing the foams.

Man, you got me.
I'm up to my knees in other projects.

Good work! your still infront of me as Ive just moved house and have not set my aquarium back up

My eheim classic pumps have been really reliable but duing the move I broke the platform the pump attaches too, the rubber bushing and I thought it might be a good time to convert to a DC pump instead of buying spares etc. Another factor is the pump consumes 80w!

I did toy with the idea of buying a FX6 but these 1500xls are absoutly bomb proof and I could go for months before cleaning out and the filtering is fantastic especially as I have filled it with Eheim Substrat Pro
theDCpump likes this.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 03:19 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbecks View Post
My eheim classic pumps have been really reliable but duing the move I broke the platform the pump attaches too, the rubber bushing and I thought it might be a good time to convert to a DC pump instead of buying spares etc. Another factor is the pump consumes 80w!

I did toy with the idea of buying a FX6 but these 1500xls are absoutly bomb proof and I could go for months before cleaning out and the filtering is fantastic especially as I have filled it with Eheim Substrat Pro
Yes, agreed.
80 watts was not nice on the Eheim pump.

The Vectra M1 DC pump can run at nearly 2,000gph as well as the new 2019 Model pump, the M2, that at nearly runs 2000gph too.
New features with the M2.

The (Eheim 1500 model) canister's 900gph pump is strong, but is not as quiet as the some DC pumps can be which are just as strong.
The DC models can tune down in speed like a gas petal at nearly half the watts.

Lastly, the Eheim 1500's bigger pump (of 2 giant canister models) runs at 900pgh as stated, but has a QD/Quick-disconnect disassembly design holding the moving parts (impeller).
-Way too easy to come apart while being used externally.

I could only assume this may lead issue over time vs. a few good DC pumps out there.
Being overbuilt and assembled with screws, this Vectra M1 pump may not have a leak as quickly while being an external powerhouse.
I don't mind the leak fuss being inside of a sump or water, but never outside or externally when I don't own the property the tank sitting on.

Back when I had my sump going, we mounted all items that we would be tugging on directly to the wood stand.

The pic below is where we had some of the ball and gate valves mounted under the old sump tank build.

The whole point of my particular 1500xl build is to become very "modular" on the canister.
I'd like to be able to grab a specific hose/pipe, pump, filter, or intake/outake hanging in the tank, (like Ehiem's quick-disconnect upgrade intake/outake kit ) and clean it or replace it quick.

After all the canister designs purchased these years, I'm starting to see what all the greatest features are and how to keep those great ideas all in one design from canister to pipes, to pumps, or to the intake/outake hanging in the water.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode