PowerHeads / Circulation Pumps - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Botia dude

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 08:15 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
PowerHeads / Circulation Pumps

I have a 90 gallon planted tank im looking to add a couple circulation pumps to as I have no water movement. What do people suggest for a good flow from a small discrete model.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 09:19 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
I've been pretty satisfied with the Hydor Coralia flow pumps. Have 2 of em in my UNS 90U.
goodbytes likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 09:32 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
Thanks, I like the looks of those and the magnet on them. What size do you have? I have alot of plant matter settling on the bottoms of my tank I'd like to stir up.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 08:03 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLongjr View Post
Thanks, I like the looks of those and the magnet on them. What size do you have? I have alot of plant matter settling on the bottoms of my tank I'd like to stir up.
Well, I also have to vote for the Koralia pumps. I have a couple of them for around 5 years and they still work flawlessly. As for stirring up the detritus, my opinion is that that is a job better suited for vacuuming. The pumps strong enough to blow around detritus will be too strong for the fish and/or the other hardscape elements like the gravel.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 10:24 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Has anyone tried these Aqamai (Hydor) KPM WiFi DC pumps?

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/kpm-w...iABEgI37_D_BwE

They look really cool and lower-power, and with the DC feature, you might be able to get them to work with Apex Fusion.

I almost got a pair to try, but my tank has been breeding shrimp, and I don't want any water intake that is not covered in foam. I still want to hear some reports, because I like to keep track of the smallest tech.

Cheers
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 02:31 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streetwise View Post
Has anyone tried these Aqamai (Hydor) KPM WiFi DC pumps?

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/kpm-w...iABEgI37_D_BwE

They look really cool and lower-power, and with the DC feature, you might be able to get them to work with Apex Fusion.

I almost got a pair to try, but my tank has been breeding shrimp, and I don't want any water intake that is not covered in foam. I still want to hear some reports, because I like to keep track of the smallest tech.

Cheers
Tunze 6155 or Tunze 6040 powerheads?
I used both. They are both adjustable powerheads with 10min. feed timers.

The thinner Tunze 6040 model does the trick if you are clever with water patterns.
6155 model has way more flow, but jumps into a bigger size and slight slight noise hum.
Both will have a different harmonic sounds depending on where the thing is mounted on the glass.

I recently went on a species specific meat-eater fish splurge and use more canisters instead of the mechanical powerhead inside tanks.
Sometimes fish don't like powerheads.
Yes, I had the "cracked" wire in a slightly torqued position over time and it started to open up the outer rubber.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 12:11 AM
Algae Grower

I've seen good reviews for those, but the one I'm asking about is smaller and newer, and comes with a wifi controller:

https://www.aqamai.com/en/kpm/

I wonder if it would be possible to turn it into an Apex-compatible DC pump.

Cheers
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 07:16 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streetwise View Post
I've seen good reviews for those, but the one I'm asking about is smaller and newer, and comes with a wifi controller:

https://www.aqamai.com/en/kpm/

I wonder if it would be possible to turn it into an Apex-compatible DC pump.

Cheers
There are a few things to note about these styles of wavemaker/pusher pumps.

tilt:
Make sure your choice of mount can tilt if needed.
Sometimes it takes mounting it to the side glass just to get the flow as intended along the back etc.
Also, some wavemaker models can be mounted to the rear glass, but also tilt about 90 degrees while others will have much less directional control while mounted.

Tech (Wifi):
I have a few Wifi only lights and love them. Your choice looks very good, I like it.
The pumps or lights these days are starting to be Wifi only too.
Some of the solid older tech we're stepping away from is still a great choice. They have rotational dials or pots/potentiometers.
A year ago I had to make a decision on a sump pump.
I would agree using the Wifi on the wavemaker powerhead, but I just couldn't do the Wifi on the real powerhead running the tank's sump vs a DCpump with real controls.
At the time, it was between the Sicce's new Wifi DC sump pumps or those VectraM1 or M2 pumps with full buttons to press with a dial and nothing more.
Someday our whole tank will be controlled with the Wifi to device/phone.
I'd agree, but only to "monitor" the tank from a wifi for stats and records, but I'd like to keep some hands on the instruments and controls.

Wavemaker pump Sound:
Some of the little guys have an audible whine or unwanted pitch like a florescent tube light and the ballast.
Some of the vibration systems are not good on keeping it from coming through to the tank while run on high.

That's my 2 cents.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode